What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
A 30k state of the art rectangular stadium in the Optus stadium would surely do wonders for Perth drawing various events over the Nullarbor, its honestly surprising as far as I'm aware there's no plans to do anything like this
It would, but having spent $150mill plus on HBF Park over last ten years its hard to see them walking away now when its half done. I'd be happy with either.
Finish HBF park or build a 30k new stadium at Burswood. Either works!
One would cost around $200mill other around $500mill. WA Govt could afford either.

We've got Optus stadium to draw events. A 30k rectangular stadium isnt going to do anything Optus cant.

MugaB

Coach
All clubs go through cycles. The successful clubs have long cycles at the top and shorter ones at the bottom, the less successful clubs the other way around. You'd be pretty delusional if you thought your club, in any sport, was going to be the best every season forever. Its why enjoying it whilst you can matters!

As for Storm, yes the qualify of their systems has meant they have brought through incredible talent over the last 15 years under the stewardship of arguably the best coach of all time. Those sytems still exist after Bellamy, or they may decide to go the route of some other clubs and just go out and buy established star players and try and buy success next time. Maybe Slater is the next Bellamy. Who knows.
As the quote goes 'the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated' lol
Billy Slater will coach them after the next coach fails after bellamy.... its the Cinderella story that just writes itself, Cameron smith will coach QLD then Australia after mal retires.... again its Cinderella stories all round

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Not angry, just fed up with all the nonsense that I keep readying in these threads. Some of it coming from you.

Reality is, the Storm have achieved vary little at grass roots level. No if or buts about that. Whether it is their fault of the NRL's is irrelevant. Both need to take ownership and address it not sit there and point fingers. Same goes for Perth or any other organization including my team Parra.

I can't handle excuses. Failure is something we should learn from, not something we look around and look for scapegoats. You want a team in Perth then build a case and make yourselves invaluable. The ARLC & the other current clubs only look at numbers and profit and loss. Short sighted, yes I know, but it is what it is.

Until you are seen as contributors to the pie, you will only be seen as eaters and therefore never invited to joint at the table. Christchurch with a brand new roofed stadium that will open in 2025, may be seen as contributors. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. You need a strong argument. At this point I would have entered Perth in decades ago, but I don't run the NRL. They want more from you. Can you(not you personally) deliver? a great stadium that rivals Parra and Cowboys. It would be a sure fire way of achieving that.

Look at the AFL(knock out punch on its way again) and the leaps and bounds they are trying to manoeuvre to get a brand new city stadium there. They know that that will guarantees instant bums on seats and success. What have you got? A second class hand me down ground in a mostly hostile city that is used to 1st class stadium luxury, and with questionable juniors(not ready but needs more development) and fans.

Guess where I am going to go fishing next?
Hahahaha super massive blatent stadium lurement from @TheRam
...love you work pal

Dragonwest

Juniors
My concern for Perth being included in the NRL is who are the bid team?

On so many levels it makes sense, but who is actually doing all the leg work?

Is it up to Sackson & the NRL WA to do the work or will/is there a separate consortium to liaise with the WA government, potential sponsors and the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Is it up to Sackson & the NRL WA to do the work or will/is there a separate consortium to liaise with the WA government, potential sponsors and the NRL?
There is a bid consortium led by Cumins (previous Reds and now NRLWA sponsor) and others. Cumins has a strong relationship with Sackson and the NRLWA.
Cash Convertors has a turn over of $245mill and a profit line of $19mill, $315mill in equity, so he's not short of a few $'s.

Back in 2010 Cumins, a number of Perth businessmen, the WA sports minister and the WARL joined forces to form the WA Reds bid. I was involved on the periphery of this bid rallying the RL supporters to the cause

In 2012 with the news Sage was also planning a bid this group changed the bid brand to the West Coast Pirates bid.

That is the only one you can be 100% sure is working on a bid now.

Puddy (ex Reds Chairman) has talked numerous times about having a number of backers who would be willing to join him in a bid to resurrect the Western Reds. He got his hands on the IP for the Reds in 2018 (I presume it is him). Last time we heard from him was Oct 2021 but wouldn't surprise me if he's still working behind the scenes on a bid.

Sage I fully expect to have another crack. He registered West Coast/Perth/Western Quokkas in 2021as a brand and sees an NRL club as a way of helping with his overhead costs for Glory. One administration running both clubs. He is on record as stating he has no interest in partnering with the Bears.

Beyond that who knows who else might be out there. Im sure if there are the WA Govt now vetting which bid they will partner with has brought them out of the woodwork. They've been able to keep it all very secret since that committee was formed in Oct last year.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Billy Slater will coach them after the next coach fails after bellamy.... its the Cinderella story that just writes itself, Cameron smith will coach QLD then Australia after mal retires.... again its Cinderella stories all round
Smith was interviewed and he said he and Billy are no chance of coaching the storm

they make too much money currently and don’t want the stress

MugaB

Coach

North Sydney bears

videotogif_2023.03.12_15.15.55.gif
Troll dun gud

Perth Red

Post Whore
This years WA clubs. Team numbers vary a lot between clubs with the perth metro league clubs fielding numerous age and mens and womens teams, touch and full contact, and some of the far flung regional ones just a couple.

Perth League

Northern Fusion Regional Representative RL System
  • Alkimos Tigers
  • Ellenbrook Rabbitohs
  • Joondalup Giants
  • North Beach Sea Eagles
Southern Pride Regional Representative RL System
  • Fremantle Roosters
  • Kalamunda Bulldogs
  • South Perth Lions
  • Willagee Bears
South West Dolphins Regional Representative RL System
  • Kwinana Titans
  • Mandurah Storm
  • Rockingham Sharks
  • Serpentine Jarrahdale Serpents Rugby League & Sporting Club

South West League

• Australind Cowboys Junior Rugby League Club
  • Eaton Panthers Junior Rugby League Club
  • Bunbury Titans Junior Rugby League Club
  • Dalyellup Rhinos Junior Rugby League Club
  • Bussleton Broncos Junior Rugby League Club
  • Albany Sea Dragons Rugby League & Sporting Club Inc.

North West League

North West Reds Regional Representative RL System
  • Karratha Junior Rugby League
  • Karratha Roosters Senior Rugby League Club
  • Wickham Wasps
  • South Hedland Cougars Junior Rugby League
  • Broome Jets Rugby League Club
  • Tom Price Steelers Rugby League Club
  • Paraburdoo Pirates Touch & Rugby League Football Club
  • Newman Crushers RLC
  • Kimberley Junior Rugby League Club

Christmas & Cocos Islands League​

• Christmas Island Robbers Rugby League Club
  • Cocos Islands Hunters Rugby League

DIOGENES

Juniors
I guess it is too isolated and distant but Kalgoorlie has a large Māori group but, as far as I could tell when I did FIFO, absolutely no league presence.
am i wrong?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess it is too isolated and distant but Kalgoorlie has a large Māori group but, as far as I could tell when I did FIFO, absolutely no league presence.
am i wrong?
There used to be a club, Goldfields Titans, but the travel to play in the Perth league killed it off (7 hour train ride each way), along with the transient nature of the population.
Royce Hunt (Cronulla) came out of that club.
Unofficially they were the most isolated RL club in the world lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth comp Grades 2023

Mens 1st Grade 5 teams
South Perth
North Beach
Joondalup
Fremantle
Rockingham

Mens Reserve Grade 8 teams
South Perth