What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

imasharkie

Coach
with Wayne Bennett off contract at Stains soon he would be the ideal coach for an Ipswich team and he could bring Darius with him.

Yep I'm all for an Ipswich team to come into the NRL and my preference would be to also add the Perth franchise as the two new clubs to join the NRL.

Consider this..Qld rules the SOO and could easily run NSW to the wire with their secounds team. Just goes to show where the better players come from=Qld.

the cc has a population of what??? you cant count the north shore because its not a sydney side.

The titians may have cash flow problems but as you know we are not talking about whether or not the club makes money but what it adds to the next television deal and a seq team will add more than a cc team.

And what you say about the time frame to setup for a new club is wrong they have the seven months to come up with a business plan then 2 years to implement it, which is more than enough time.

I think the cc should have a team but we dont need another team in nsw at the moment when there are better markets to develop.

A population of about 350, 000/ 450, 000 on the CC. Another 700, 000 - 800, 000 on the North Shore. Yes it is a CC team but with the BEARS brand it's a must to incorporate the existing NS fans from the North Shore. Doesn't mean the CCBEARS are based in Sydney. It means a percentage of fans are based in Sydney. Much like a % of Dragons/insert team fans are based in QLD.

While adding to the NRL pie via TV coverage. Consider both CC & SQLD already watch the NRL. The Bears were the 2nd most watched team on Tv during the 90's. Fact. The Crushers (a sqld team), Chargers & Sea-Gulls weren't even in the top 10 watched teams. Fact. The Titans as a watched team on TV are somewhere in between 5th-10th currently. Fact.

Therefore history shows that a BEARS brand will be more successful on TV then another S.QLD team. So by being more successful on TV means more revenue per average game then the SQLD bid. I'm yet to see proof on how a SQLD team provides/will provide more money through TV coverage to the NRL when like the CC, both areas are RL heartland.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make a bid in 7 months then give another 18 months to prepare yourself for entry. However it's a very short time frame to ready management, sponsors, players, fans and members. Especially with no time for a plan B, should plan A fail.

The advantages of the REDS & esp. the BEARS bids is we've been working on our bids for so long, we've tried plan A) Reds through Bundy Cup, BEARS through singo to figure out it didn't work and hence we now apply plan B) build memberships, equity, community involvement and gather corporate support through both public and private sectors for our bid models.

I'm all for another SQLD team from Ipswich but the truth is and hard facts are the BEARS & Reds bids have accomplished and achieved a lot so far and are working 24/7 on their projects. They deserve to be in the front of the pecking order and with all the essentials already in place, there's very little arguments that can be used against us besides in the CCBEARS case a f**ken postcode.

Perth Red

Post Whore
so much anger in RL fans on here!

In all honesty we can all see that there are 4 places that would benefit RL immensely into the future. it is up to the NRL to pick the best 2 for now and work with the other two for later. What pees me off more than anything is that the NRL plays no leadership role in any of this and just reacts to what pops up.

so much anger in RL fans on here!

In all honesty we can all see that there are 4 places that would benefit RL immensely into the future. it is up to the NRL to pick the best 2 for now and work with the other two for later. What pees me off more than anything is that the NRL plays no leadership role in any of this and just reacts to what pops up.

The NRL are re-active not pro-active. That's thanks to lawyers running the show instead of business people. We need rugby league-smart and especially business-smart people running the show. Lawyers have always been a re-active bunch.

But you cant have a cc team and rely on the north shore of sydney they count for 2/3 of the figures you give.
The tv figures do surprise me concerning the bears but they did have a good side back then.
What makes you so sure the bears wont have the same cash flow problems that the titans have?
And yes the cc bears are doing a great job with the prep.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I too untill recently believed that the cc was the best option for expansion

lockyrulz

Juniors
I'm a QLDER, I've lived in Brisbane most my life and have many family & friends who are Broncos fans. So your assumptions are just ass with no -umption or substance more like it

So my assumptions are 'ass' on the basis you lived in brisbane for a while and have some mates here, yet all your assumptions no doubt are a ok...

Idiot.

I have explained to you why this bid means more for the tv rights deal than an extra NSWRL team when the NRL already has a NSW team play virtually every night of the football week. I can't alter your brain to make you fathom the point.

Bad management of the nsbears doesn't affect management of the CCBears.

I never said it did, quite the opposite. Please try and keep up.

If you think it does then by your views the bad management of Crushers would be directly affective on the Ipswich/Sqld team. As would bad management of the original Jets.

Well clearly I don't. And no it doesn't.
You're a dumb ass. Go to un

I have a master degree in criminology genius.

and get some real world education on management, equity and business skills

Why would I bother, I'm not establishing a license.
Then maybe, just maybe you'll see things from a business point of view and realize that putting a team in a heartland with everything in place is immensely more cheaper in short and long run then putting a team in heartland with no bid, no stadium, no fans, no sponsors and all but 2 news paper articles describing their motives.

Or I could realise that the NRL makes the majority of its money via the TV rights deal, which a Southwestern Qld team will add substantially more to then the CC bears bid does. In fact, a second NZ team adds even more, and as I said, I am more than happy for that reason for the NRL to go that way.

Yeah real smart buddy. You're a modern day Einstein

Compared to you I am a genetic amalgam of Einstein, Ed Whitten, Carl Sagan and Steve Urkel. But compared to you most people are.
Let's put in a team with no money or bid over one with both.:roll:

I am advocating the NRL get off its arse and support bids in areas which serve its interest the most. It isn't rocket science you inbred.

Where both will bring the same value,
How amny times do you have to have it explained to you that they DON'T BRING IN THE SAME WORTH FOR THE TV DEAL YOU FREAKIN IDIOT!

If they did, I wouldn't give a rats which teams get added, why would I? My team is already in the NRL and isn't going anywhere.

Smiley

Bench
Jets' NRL dream taking off

THE Ipswich Jets’ bid to join the NRL has received substantial support from the region’s business community.

Ipswich Chamber of Commerce president Michael Munt said earlier this week that a successful bid would be a huge boost to the area.

NRL boss David Gallop has indicated that two teams are likely to join the competition in 2013 with Ipswich being touted as a strong chance to win a spot.

Mr Munt said an Ipswich team in the NRL would bring financial and social benefits to the whole of the city.

"Ipswich has a very strong league base and I think it will be extremely beneficial for business in the longer term," said Mr Munt, who added he would sign up as a club member.

"Having a team here will give Ipswich a lot more publicity."

"It will continue to raise our profile, which is already well established."

But Mr Munt warned that the bid - being led by Jets chairman Steven Johnson - must attract substantial backing to be successful.

"The potential for sponsors may be an issue, but that will be something that the Ipswich Jets will work out," he said.

"I feel this bid wouldn’t be getting the groundswell of support that it’s getting unless it was something that was able to hit the ground and be economically viable. In the long term, it will be extremely beneficial for Ipswich. In the short term, as with any new venture, there will be trials and tribulations."

LEAGUE PROPOSAL: BRENT O’NEILL QUIZZES IPSWICH JETS CHAIRMAN STEVEN JOHNSON ABOUT THE CLUB’S BID TO JOIN THE NRL, WHICH HAS PROPOSED THAT TWO CLUBS BE ADDED TO THE ELITE COMPETITION IN 2013.

Q. How far advanced is the bid?

"We’re putting the business plan together so (it’s) very embryonic. The football aspect of it doesn’t concern us at all but we have to put up a model that will be successful. We want it to be a community-controlled type of model."

Q. What will the business plan include?

"What it’s going to cost to set up a team and the ongoing costs. You have got to work out the amount we need first and ensure we can get the financial support for it. I would imagine that will take at least six months (but) the NRL won’t be calling for applications, if they do, for 12 months."

Q. How much is the bid going to cost?

"Putting the bid together isn’t the expensive part; it’s putting the business plan into operation. Doing due diligence will cost several hundred thousand dollars."

Q. How many members does the club have and how many would you need for a successful bid?

"Rugby league today isn’t the previous club-based structure where you have members and they fund the club. You’re talking about $15million a year to run. When you look at the financial model of rugby league clubs a lot of it comes from sponsorship. You try to look for income that comes from outside rugby league itself."

"You’re going to need 20,000 people at home each week for it to be viable. That shouldn’t be a problem if you put together a rugby league team that plays good footy."

Q. Would the team need to draw on support from areas such as Logan and Toowoomba?

"The corridor that the NRL wants the team to be based in is that western corridor. It’s a team from the corridor as distinct from a second Brisbane team."

"You could envisage it going from Moreton Bay to Toowoomba. This area is a rugby league heartland."

"The important thing is for our local kids to have this second club. The Broncos have got 30 (players) and the Titans have got 30. That’s only 60 out of 2.6million people. There’s enough great talent in this area that isn’t getting the chance to get to NRL level."

Q. You have said the new entity would come in above the Jets’ Intrust Super Cup (ISC) team, with that ISC side to feed into the NRL team. Do you think the Jets’ on-field success (or lack of) will negatively impact the bid?

"It’s irrelevant. It’s just a different level of competition. The important part is local kids can stay local. The Jets this year, if you let numbers define you, have had a poor year. (But) next year we will have a very strong side. We’re recruiting very well."

Q. Would the plan be to play out of Suncorp Stadium until the team’s own arena can be built?

"Logically that would be correct. The stadium (location) would be a matter for the politicians."

link

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Q. Would the team need to draw on support from areas such as Logan and Toowoomba?

"The corridor that the NRL wants the team to be based in is that western corridor. It’s a team from the corridor as distinct from a second Brisbane team.”

I guess the NRL does have a plan of some kind.

Paul J

Juniors
The problem i see with the Ipswich bid is that it won't change the Bronco's monopoly on Brisbane.

Ipswich is like the Gold Coast, an independent town outside of Brisbane. Even an Ipswich/Logan bid still leaves 80% of Brisbane to the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely thats a good thing isn't it? Why would you want to dilute the most succesful club in the country? Surely it is up to the other clubs to catch up rather than drag succesful clubs down?

Paul J

Juniors
Surely thats a good thing isn't it? Why would you want to dilute the most succesful club in the country? Surely it is up to the other clubs to catch up rather than drag succesful clubs down?

Depends if you’re a Bronco fan i guess.

The Broncos do have the biggest junior nursery to pick from and have more corporate support than the other clubs that can legally fund 3rd party payments outside of the salary cap.

A second Brisbane team would share in those benefits (both Brisbane teams would still have these advantages over other clubs) and Suncorp stadium would be used every week.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Ipswich bid vs Central Coast bid is not a decision I'd want to be responsible for.

Is there any way to get both + the Reds?

axl rose

Bench
A second Brisbane team would share in those benefits (both Brisbane teams would still have these advantages over other clubs) and Suncorp stadium would be used every week.

No coincidence that an independent commission and the ridding of News Ltd from the game will coincide with a second Brisbane franchise.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Ipswich bid vs Central Coast bid is not a decision I'd want to be responsible for.

Is there any way to get both + the Reds?

Only 2 ways I can see that happening.

1, a current team falls over. 2, We admit 4 teams at once (we do after all have 4 bids on the table), but thats not really viable.

No, I think Ipswich will miss out.

Goddo

Bench
The problem i see with the Ipswich bid is that it won't change the Bronco's monopoly on Brisbane.

Ipswich is like the Gold Coast, an independent town outside of Brisbane. Even an Ipswich/Logan bid still leaves 80% of Brisbane to the Broncos.

:roll:

That isn't a problem; its an asset of the bid. As said, there is roughly 2.6m people in SE Queensland. The aim of the NRL should be for roughly 1m people for every club. With population growth and competition moving in, we shold lock up the region with a third side.

Brisbane has a monopoly in the city, and that should be maintained. Why would you want to break it? The outer suburbs and satelite cities of Brisbane should be represented. Kind of like St George Illawarra, or the proposed Central Coast Bears bid. Ipswich is ideal.

Would the people of Brisbane take to a second side? look at Port Adelaide in the AFL. The two team town model doesn't work when one team is a mamoth and the other a pauper.

Goddo

Bench
Only 2 ways I can see that happening.

1, a current team falls over. 2, We admit 4 teams at once (we do after all have 4 bids on the table), but thats not really viable.

No, I think Ipswich will miss out.
It would be great for the game if Cronulla were to fold...

:( Wish they would hurry up, before the middle of next year would be good.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Would the people of Brisbane take to a second side? look at Port Adelaide in the AFL. The two team town model doesn't work when one team is a mamoth and the other a pauper.
Well if the Ipswich Jets are elevated to the NRL then yes you would most likely end up with a financial basketcase like the Port Adelaide Power who's very history alienates them from any other non Port Magpies South Australian fans.

On the other hand if a second team is a brand new franchise will no official links to any existing clubs then I don't see why it wouldn't work for people Brisbane wide to adopt them like in the case of the Fremantle Dockers who have healthy support in the Perth metro outside of the Fremantle area. The Dockers presense hasn't hurt West Coast (obvious Broncos equivalent) one bit and they are both off field heavey weights.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It would be great for the game if Cronulla were to fold...

:( Wish they would hurry up, before the middle of next year would be good.

Not necessarily. Money wise it would probably be helpful, but I dont know if the competition would be any better without the Sharks.

Every club has a personality that they bring to the competition and I think Cronulla has a place in the competition.

Personally I think the Dragons vs Sharks rivalry is brilliant and great for the game.

Highway1

Juniors
I like the sound of it, although it would be nice if Ribot's name wasn't there.

They'd have to play their local derby with the Broncos at Suncorp. Really, I'd
like to see them play all of their games out of Suncorp.

After all, Lang Park is west of Brisbane :)

Hale St is the border between Brisbane CBD and Milton (one of many western Suburbs) just to let you know.

Latest posts