What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Highway1

Juniors
Can't have Ipswich, as Logan and T'ba will baulk and Western is vague, Ipswich is to the East of a lot of places they'd want to get on board anyway. South Queensland Jets, the name needs a geographic anchor.

Yeah I agree, The suggestion of having a combined Logan-Ipswich is insane. Logan clubs play in Brisbane or Gold Coast comps while Ipswich clubs play in Ipswich comps. Would the QRL and local Ipswich and Logan clubs be happy with re-organising the way local comps are run, just to cater for the proposed Logan-Ipswich team. I think not.

Highway1

Juniors
I disagree queenslanders don't associate CC with the gosford region but more so the Rockhampton area The same with brisbanites, we would associate wests with the Ipswich, goodna springfield area. so I think it would work.

Ipswich is Ipswich, they are not western suburbs of Brisbane.

Highway1

Juniors
Could Newtown Jets stop Ipswich using that name much like Redcliffe did with the Gold Coast ( Titans ) . From memory Redcliffe used the argument that they had ambitions of joining the NRL , which would never happen anytime soon , so whats to stop Newtown using the same argument.

Id like a Logan/Ipswich team to enter probably not befpore the CC and Perth, also I dont want them to be the Jets either.

Newtown jets is a strong brand there is no way they would want to let go of the Jets brand, even though they are not in the NRL

Highway1

Juniors
That's ok, I think you're wearing a dick on your forehead, but mean no offence by that... :crazy:

I actually like the Tigers, mainly because I like their attractive style of play. But they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (Dogs and Eels), and have no growth in them.
Another option would be Souths or the chooks, although they're slightly better positioned than Wests.

Dragons, Dogs, Eels and Panthers are well established and have either support in numbers or the room to get them.

Manly can't go, as it would leave a gaping hole between the CC and the nearest Sydney team.

Apart from a few idiots who want to hang on to history or are too Sydney centric, everyone knows there are too many teams in the greater Sydney area, so who would you cull/relocate/merge?
No growth in the tigers? The Camden area (part of Wests territory) is a fast growing area. the tigers brand is also a strong one too.

Highway1

Juniors
a team based around Ipswich area has been in the works for a long time.

The bid has only come up now.. cos its only needed to come up now.

What do you mean, in terms of QLD cup yeas its been around, but in terms of NRL bid of any sort, only now and it only came because gallop suggested a Logan-Ipswich corridor team in which I think its ridiculous.

Highway1

Juniors
Out of interest what do Broncos fans think of the bid? Would you welcome a city rival for a proper derby game twice a year or do you think it is just diluting the pool?

Absolutely, A derby between Queensland oldest City and second oldest city, would be electric, Gives Ipswich people something to cheer about, they are staunchly independent, just like the Gold Coast.

Highway1

Juniors
We have enough corporate support in SEQ for both teams, and I'm sure they would put enough bums on seats also with a broad base in the Western corridor of Logan, Ipswich and even as far as Toowoomba and Warwick.
Besides, having RL played at Suncorp every week would be fantastic, I for sure would definitely go and watch a few of their games!

in term of corporate supprt i think that toowoomba businesses (home to a few big business such as Heritage bank and weis ice cream) would get right behind the Ipswich along with Ipswich businesses.

Newtown can't stop Ipswich using the name they have had for 30 years.

Even if Newtown had the name first and already have records in the continuing NSWRL/ARL/NRL progression? I think they can for the same reasons Gold Coast Suns AFL didn't use the Sharks name and the Gold Coast Titans didn't use the Dolphins name.

Had Newtown not existed at all I'd agree with you 100% but they do exist still..

danmiles73

Juniors
Newtown can't stop Ipswich using the name they have had for 30 years.

Actually, they could. Newtown have registered the Jets trade mark in classes 21 (for mugs, wine glasses and tumblers), 25 (for clothing, footwear, and headgear) and 41 (for entertainment services; sporting and cultural activities; education and training services; organising and conducting of competitions including sporting competitions; gaming services; organising and presentation of live performances and shows including music shows; entertainment services provided by clubs including night clubs; rental of sports equipment).

There is no registered trade mark for the Ipswich Jets. Therefore, Newtown, should they wish to, could stop the Ipswich Jets from using "Jets".

Interestingly, Newcastle United Jets (a soccer team) have their trade mark registered in classes 16, 28 and 41, but its use is limited to "goods relating to the sport of football (soccer)" and, following opposition from the NFL lodged in May 2007, excluding goods relating to the sport of American football.

simostorm

Bench
What do you mean, in terms of QLD cup yeas its been around, but in terms of NRL bid of any sort, only now and it only came because gallop suggested a Logan-Ipswich corridor team in which I think its ridiculous.

about 2 years ago or maybe more I remember Gallop talking about the Ipswich area as a place that the NRL would like to expand to.

bobmar28

Bench
Even if Newtown had the name first and already have records in the continuing NSWRL/ARL/NRL progression? I think they can for the same reasons Gold Coast Suns AFL didn't use the Sharks name and the Gold Coast Titans didn't use the Dolphins name.

Had Newtown not existed at all I'd agree with you 100% but they do exist still..

Gold Coast had not had the name Dolphins for thirty years, in fact they had never been known as the Dolphins. Redcliffe has been known as the Dolphins for many years. I still think they should have allowed the Titans to use it as it was the perfect name for them. Ipswich have been known as the Jets for thirty years and have every right to use their name.

I don't know anything about the Gold Coast AFL side and the name Sharks so I can't comment on that except to say that they had not had the name for thirty years.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Actually, they could. Newtown have registered the Jets trade mark in classes 21 (for mugs, wine glasses and tumblers), 25 (for clothing, footwear, and headgear) and 41 (for entertainment services; sporting and cultural activities; education and training services; organising and conducting of competitions including sporting competitions; gaming services; organising and presentation of live performances and shows including music shows; entertainment services provided by clubs including night clubs; rental of sports equipment).

There is no registered trade mark for the Ipswich Jets. Therefore, Newtown, should they wish to, could stop the Ipswich Jets from using "Jets".

Interestingly, Newcastle United Jets (a soccer team) have their trade mark registered in classes 16, 28 and 41, but its use is limited to "goods relating to the sport of football (soccer)" and, following opposition from the NFL lodged in May 2007, excluding goods relating to the sport of American football.

Newtown have no hope of ever getting into the NRL so they would look like dickheads if they block Ipswich from using a name they have had for thirty years.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Newtown have no hope of ever getting into the NRL so they would look like dickheads if they block Ipswich from using a name they have had for thirty years.

As opposed to Redcliffe who blocked the Gold Coast for the same reason?

Goddo

Bench
Redcliffe Dolphins want to have a crack at the NRL in the future - they aren't ready now, but are leaving the door open.

Newtown is different. They were kicked out of the top level comp and have next to no chance of comming back. They also have no desire to come back, happy with their lot as a NSW Cup club.

It would be nice if the Sharks valiently took one for the team and followed Newtown's lead.

Smiley

Bench
As opposed to Redcliffe who blocked the Gold Coast for the same reason?

Redcliffe have aspirations to play in the NRL in the future.

They are one of the richest Q Cup teams with a very successful leagues club.

meltiger

First Grade
Apparently of league fans in Brisbane, less than 40% are Broncos fans.

If that stat is true, then Brisbane if they can get a competent bid together must be seriously considered against the CCB bid.

We MUST have a game each week in Brisbane, not SEQ, Brisbane.

I know there is a lot of sentimental attachment to the CCB bid, but claims of losing the area are rubbish, to what? Aussie Rules? No chance, RU? Already struggle there, Aye League? Pfft

I'm not saying definitly admit them, but if Perth, CCB, and a Brisbane consortium all brought competent business plans to the table, I know where I'd be leaning...