What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Highway1

Juniors
about 2 years ago or maybe more I remember Gallop talking about the Ipswich area as a place that the NRL would like to expand to.

Yeah, in the courier-mail piece about CQ nrl, he quoted on his ideas on the Logan-Ipswich team. I think the Logan ipswich team is unworkable, I mean what other things in QLD that Logan-Ipswich joint venture?

Highway1

Juniors
Gold Coast had not had the name Dolphins for thirty years, in fact they had never been known as the Dolphins. Redcliffe has been known as the Dolphins for many years. I still think they should have allowed the Titans to use it as it was the perfect name for them. Ipswich have been known as the Jets for thirty years and have every right to use their name.

I don't know anything about the Gold Coast AFL side and the name Sharks so I can't comment on that except to say that they had not had the name for thirty years.

The name "Dolphins" was used for the GC bid. I disagree, I do not think Redcliffe should let go of their exclusivity of the name 'dolphins' to a new franchise like the gold coast bid.

Highway1

Juniors
If that stat is true, then Brisbane if they can get a competent bid together must be seriously considered against the CCB bid.

We MUST have a game each week in Brisbane, not SEQ, Brisbane.

I know there is a lot of sentimental attachment to the CCB bid, but claims of losing the area are rubbish, to what? Aussie Rules? No chance, RU? Already struggle there, Aye League? Pfft

I'm not saying definitly admit them, but if Perth, CCB, and a Brisbane consortium all brought competent business plans to the table, I know where I'd be leaning...

South Queensland Crushers?
p.s Im not a troll like you stated on The fight club :x

Highway1

Juniors
Did you even read my post? Did the Gold Coast have the name Dolphins for 30 years?
But the point, the use of "Dolphins" by the gold coast will devalue the Redcliffe RL brand and undo their hardwork. Can you imagine if the next Brisbane was to be called "Seagulls"? that would piss off Wynnum and Tweed like no end,

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If Ipswich ever use the Jets, Id love for them to have an away jersey similar to Newtowns old one. That would hopefully help with some crowds.

Highway1

Juniors
If Ipswich ever use the Jets, Id love for them to have an away jersey similar to Newtowns old one. That would hopefully help with some crowds.

Blue for what? Bremer river?
Blue jersey with segments of yellow and green (colours of City of Ipswich along with white) to make it different form the Newton Jets; maybe?

Highway1

Juniors
I have no doubt that Rugby League can find its place in Perth and Adelaide if given the chance to do it right. There are also places in the heartlands and overseas that are also capable of supporting a Rugby League culture. Never before in the history of the game has there been so much potential for growth and never before has the opportunity for managing that chance been greater. For once rugby league can do something different.

It can actually grow because of itself.

What about Ipswich and rest of Queensland?

Highway1

Juniors
One of the big things the Ipswich Jets bid has in it's favour is that they are probably the club that will add most value to the broadcasting revenue in the near future, as they will get the attention of the Brisbane viewing public which is currently the only TV market that is being underserviced with RL.

In the (very) long term Perth might add value to the TV deal, but initially it probably adds nothing or even detracts if stations are forced to broadcast matches during Perth prime time that rate poorly (ala Swans in Sydney, Lions in Brisbane). And lets face it, few people on the east coast will have a great deal of interest in watching a Perth side go around. Everyone prefers to see their side playing their local rivals.

Do the Central Coast Bears add anything? Probably something, but questionable how much given there are so many other Sydney and NSW teams already.

With central coast my impression is that the bears bid will not only add 300,000 people to the nrl market but more importantly, its a return of 700,000 people or so to the nrl market.

Highway1

Juniors
Will a second SEQ team help Brisbane?

And you do realise that there are OTHER teams in the comp apart from Brisbane and Sydney. Something you aimless twats forget about.

Absolutely it will brisbane, more crowds in queensland, more tv ratings, more qld merchandise, more of everything that chokes AFL, union and others.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
yes the away jersey

Mate, I was just saying it would be good IMO if they had an away jersey like Newtowns. Since most of their away matches will be in Sydney, it might help with crowds and who knows, perhaps they could even capitalise on a market in Sydney.

Highway1

Juniors
Again at the risk of pissing off all their fans, someone on another thread mentioned the idea of a Roosters-Cronulla merger with the team called the Sydney City Sharks. They'd play in Roosters uniform but with the lighter Cronulla Blue and black shorts and have 6 games at SFS, 5 games at Endeavour and 1 at SCG.

Of all the options regarding sending teams to new cities outright etc, this merger seems to make the most sense and actually feels a bit like the Wests Tigers. They're not traditional rivals and it keeps both areas in the game rather than just collapsing it. They'd have the membership support of the 2 leagues clubs - about 50,000 altogether.

I'd hate to see Cronulla or Easts forced interstate and abandon their areas. This solution I think is actually quite workable as most of the other teams are traditional rivals of one another and less manageable. It would mean there would be 10 NSW teams rather than 11:

Sydney Sharks
Penrith Panthers
Wests Tigers
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Parramatta Eels
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
St George-Illawarra Dragons
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Bears

Then you could add 2 more teams: Perth + QLD and have 18 until the next expansion with QLD + NZ

Highway1

Juniors
Mate, I was just saying it would be good IMO if they had an away jersey like Newtowns. Since most of their away matches will be in Sydney, it might help with crowds and who knows, perhaps they could even capitalise on a market in Sydney.

i know what your saying, i was merely suggesting that adding green and white ad a bit of ipswich into it thats all.