What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The push was coming from Cronulla itself:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sharks-to-play-in-adelaide/story-e6frexrr-1111117654294

The Sharks ultimately pulled out of the contract at the end of 2009 to "re-engage" with Sutherland but Fisk, now the ex-Chief Executive Officer, said at the time "we are hopeful we will be invited back to help promote the game of rugby league in Adelaide... The club made many new friends in Adelaide and certainly enjoyed the professional way the promotion was undertaken and the positive outcome last year.””

http://www.sharks.com.au/?s=article-display&id=21223

So there has been some link there in the past. Whether the current admin sees things that way is the question.
Thank you sir.
If the sharks were to play a game there or form some kind of relationship with Adelaide then good luck to them. Hopefully their future stays in the shire.

BDGS

Bench
Thank you sir.
If the sharks were to play a game there or form some kind of relationship with Adelaide then good luck to them. Hopefully their future stays in the shire.

Unfortunately the Sharks pulled out of that deal after playing just one game in Adelaide in 2009.

The Cronulla Sharks have withdrawn their commitment to play NRL games in Adelaide.

The Sharks were contracted to play one home game per season in 2010 and 2011 at Hindmarsh Stadium, but have been released from their contract with the South Australian government.

Cronulla's 2009 season was plagued with a series of off-field incidents involving players and management as well as financial problems.

The club says it will focus on the local community in the Sutherland Shire by playing more home games at Shark Park.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/11/2740021.htm

And since then the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have picked up the slack and given Rugby League Fans in Adelaide one game a year.

THE Bulldogs have emerged as rugby league's only imprint in South Australia with Cronulla officials requesting a release from playing matches in Adelaide next year.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/adelaide-left-to-bulldogs/story-e6frexnr-1225793112166

The result of this varies on however you look at it.

From a benefit of Rugby League view point and from the BUlldogs view put it has worked very well.

Bulldogs leave paw print in Adelaide
About 10,350 rugby league fans turned up to Adelaide Oval to watch the match. Bulldogs players also ran a coaching clinics for about 200 young rugby league players in the Parklands last week and at various venues across Adelaide.
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bulldogs-leave-paw-print-in-adelaide/

From a Sharks view point, well this could of been them and from a view point of NRL club survival perhaps this type of result would of benefit the struggling sharks more then it would benefit one of the best run Sydney Clubs in the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am pretty sure that if, god forbid, the Reds don't get in South Sydney will more agressively target WA for itself.

Sharks, pah, they can't run themselves in their own shire, having any hope that they could somehow crack a non NRL market and win over a whole state is pie in the sky with their current incompetence and lack of skilled management.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ideally for Adelaide, if the NRL had some foresight they would encourage (ie. give money to) a few teams to play 1-2 games per year there. By next year the Bears should be accepted, so theirs no point taking games to Bluetongue anymore. Teams like Roosters, Bulldogs, Manly that have been taking games up the coast should consider Adelaide. It would be good to get 6 games a year there, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Noone is saying no new QLD team ever. It's just the timeframe that's in question. I didn't think 2013 was the right time before this disaster, now even more so. Somewhere around 2018 is perfect for the next QLD team (I'd personally prefer South Brisbane over Ipswich), give it to the Bears and Reds in 2013 as they seem to be ready, and give the next QLD team a few more years to get stronger.

Exactly right.

Ausguy

Coach
I am pretty sure that if, god forbid, the Reds don't get in South Sydney will more agressively target WA for itself.

Sharks, pah, they can't run themselves in their own shire, having any hope that they could somehow crack a non NRL market and win over a whole state is pie in the sky with their current incompetence and lack of skilled management.

Hold that thought PR.

bobmar28

Bench
Noone is saying no new QLD team ever. It's just the timeframe that's in question. I didn't think 2013 was the right time before this disaster, now even more so. Somewhere around 2018 is perfect for the next QLD team (I'd personally prefer South Brisbane over Ipswich), give it to the Bears and Reds in 2013 as they seem to be ready, and give the next QLD team a few more years to get stronger.

Why is that?

Shut up idiot!

manoj p

Juniors
Congrats Cpt Dickwad, you have won farkwit of the year and we are 11 days in.

There is going to be many lives lost, and thousands of families destroyed, and you make a pathetic joke.

I hope you or your family never have to deal with this type of tradgedy in any way shape or form, you weak spineless merkin.

jc1.png

It wasn't a joke moron.

This will potentially cripple both bids with the need for diverted funds.

Nice pictures too... :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why is that?
If the team is called "Ipswich" I think it places a ceiling on how widespread their support base will be. "South Brisbane" will have a better chance at attracting Brisbane RL fans who are anti-broncos, and then on top of that getting fans from places like Ipswich and Logan.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
If the team is called "South Brisbane" I think it places a ceiling on how widespread their support base will be. "Brisbane" will have a better chance at attracting Brisbane RL fans who are anti-broncos, and then on top of that getting fans from places like Ipswich and Logan and Caboolture and Redcliffe and Chermside and Wynnum and Mt Gravatt and Indooroopilly.

Try this one.