What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

franklin2323

Immortal
Just to clarify...

the CQ bid is doing the exact same. Internet based memberships. They have 25,000. They are free. Titans and Suns did the same. Of course once they are given a licence they will ask for financial memberships.

Who would pay to be a member fo a club which has no merchandise, or games to attend?

They will start this initiative in the next two months.
Perth & CC both have signed members & sold merchandise. If CC don't get in the $ is refunded. All 4 need to prove why the comp needs them. Sure the extra game is a big plus but they all do that. Being able to bring in new members & sponsors will put them on the top of the pile

BDGS

Bench
"The corridor around Ipswich is the fastest growing region in Australia and we need to be a part of it". David Gallop 2010.

Notice how he doesn't put a time frame on this. He just says we need to be apart of it, that could mean 1 or 100 years. So this quote tells me nothing.

And in NSW, most families are moving to the Central Coast. Lots of similarities between western brisbane and Central Coast (demographically) - I think both areas deserve a team, but Central Coast is so far ahead they should come in first and western brisbane when they get up to Central Coast's level.

The big difference between the two is that Ipswich seems to be a low socio-economic area and the Central Coast is most definitely not that.

mongoose

Coach
And in NSW, most families are moving to the Central Coast. Lots of similarities between western brisbane and Central Coast (demographically) - I think both areas deserve a team, but Central Coast is so far ahead they should come in first and western brisbane when they get up to Central Coast's level.

Except Central Coast is between Newcastle and 9 other sydney teams. Ipswich is in an area much less crowded...

_Johnsy

Referee
Except Central Coast is between Newcastle and 9 other sydney teams. Ipswich is in an area much less crowded...

:crazy::crazy:

If you have resorted to how "crowded" an area is to bolster one towns bid, you really have two thirds of nothing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This announcement is a start but I'm not sure having free membership shows much faith in a supporter base crying out for a team, it is little better than a facebook friends page.

Name and Logo and stadium announcement need to be next. Then corporate support and then I guess they are caught up?

macavity

Referee
The big difference between the two is that Ipswich seems to be a low socio-economic area and the Central Coast is most definitely not that.

:lol:

The place is Mt Druitt by the sea...

Terrigal is nice. The rest is like Alabama with roundabouts.

bobmar28

Bench
If they don't have the balls to go for financial memberships, this bid is dead in the water. What are they afraid of, that only Ipswich Jets supporters will join if they have to pay like CC and Perth are doing?

Talk about moving goal posts. Bears supporters have been claiming the Jets do not have community support. Now they might get that support the claim is about people not paying enough.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Wrong according to the sources below;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/01/2941709.htm
"New figures show the far north Queensland city of Cairns is the fastest growing region in Australia"

http://blog.rpdata.com/?p=267
Ipswich ranked No.8 2008-2009.

In SE QLD they are not even in the top 2 regions according to;
http://investmentmentor.com.au/news-commentary/in-the-news/australias-fastest-growing-region/

Apparently Melbourne's western edge is the biggest;
http://www.kpmg.com/AU/en/IssuesAnd...lease-melbournes-western-edge-7-Sep-2010.aspx

7 September 2010 - It’s official. The fastest growing region in Australia is no longer the Gold Coast but the Western edge of Melbourne, finds KPMG research.
The analysis by KPMG demographer, Bernard Salt, shows that the municipalities of Wyndham and Melton added 18,000 new residents over the 12 months to June 2009, as compared with 17,000 added to the Gold Coast.

Who would have thought that some posters are relying on selective quotes to try and bolster the strength of Ipswich's bid. Facts indicate otherwise. Ipswich is one of the faster growing regions, but certainly not the fastest according to the sources above.

The person in charge of the bid isn't even asking for financial members. The reality is $$$ will dictate the successfull bids.

Not having a single financial member would not be filling me with confidence.

That sounds good enough for me.

Putting up free memberships is not an indication of how well a bid is supported in a community. You need to have a limit of how much you'd like the locals to spend and what you can give them in return (merchandise, stuff for kids, give aways etc) for the money spent.

This is not the way to go for the Ipswich Jets and I can guarantee that the only reason they are doing any sort of membership drive is from the external pressues from the other bids and their memberships campaigns. Having them for free wreaks of desperation to get the bid up to the standards of CCB, WAR & CQNRL.

Other wise the Jets would be offering existing QCup members incentives to financially renew/buy an NRL Jets bid memberships and to get a bunch of locals to sell the brand/bid to the community a'la CCBears or GCTitans or W.A.Reds.

The only reason CQ dont have financial memberships is due to the wealth of their bid team and their arrogance. Jets don't have that kind of wealth so its beyond me why they have this arrogance on the issue.

But best of luck to them. Theyre going to need it. Parts of Ipswich are going to be swamped today so best of luck to the families out there. I know my folks have already sandbagged the sh*t out of their property as the water engulfs the back and front yards.

bobmar28

Bench

The problem is NSW doesn't need 11 teams but on the other hand QLD needs more than 3.

The problem is NSW doesn't need 11 teams but on the other hand QLD needs more than 3.

Community, corporate, financial, sponsor, membership support for the CC proves you wrong. Time and time again. NSW doesn't need another team yet the people are going to great lengths to support the Bears bid? Take the loss and accept that you are wrong. There's no point in mentioning this over and over again. Everytime you do, the CCBEARS sign up 30-odd members.

No one is denying that QLD doesn't need another team but they're not ready. It's a simple fact. Rome wasn't built in a day yet you expect the Ipswich bid to be? You lack business and management perspective if you believe so.

It took the CCBEARS and W.A.Reds a few years to be at this stage. CQ have been at it for almost 2 years now and are far from ready. Ipswich is way behind. These floods aren't helping CQ or Ipswich either. Further delays due to mother nature. Im sure the last thing on the minds of the locals of Ippy or CQ right now is their bids.

adamkungl

Immortal
How many exactly? A percentage would do.

:roll: I don't know an exact percentage, I do know a lot of Dogs fans live in the area. But I think you'll find in any area the local team has the most support.

ie. More people in the Canterbury Bankstown are support the Bulldogs than other teams. This does not mean that MOST Bulldogs fans live in the local area (they may but i'm not sure), as the NRL has expanded in popularity beyond the suburbs, and people move and spread out etc. Nevertheless, it's a sizeable chunk of their fanbase.

This applies to most teams. The Parra area has by far the most Parra fans, and most people in my area seem to be Souths or Easts fans.

The NRL has expanded out of local suburbs, but that said people still like having an area to identify with and a lot of people will support their local team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thoughts are with the people of Ipswich and surrounding areas, stay safe. Puts the bickering about a NRL team into perspective I guess.

ratsack2

Juniors
Well I am between ippy and Brisbane and it looks like we all might under
by Thursday if not today the local counsellor just advised us that brissy river is expecting 18 metres by this arvo. Apparently the 1974 flood which saw most of Brisbane under water peaked at 20 metres
add to that it us still pissing down here

applesauce

Bench
Well I am between ippy and Brisbane and it looks like we all might under
by Thursday if not today the local counsellor just advised us that brissy river is expecting 18 metres by this arvo. Apparently the 1974 flood which saw most of Brisbane under water peaked at 20 metres
add to that it us still pissing down here

The radio is now saying it will breach higher than '74. :shock:

BDGS

Bench

Yet it has been documented that Ipswich would still take juniors away from current NRL clubs even with that, how you put it, "much less crowded" area.

Talk about moving goal posts. Bears supporters have been claiming the Jets do not have community support. Now they might get that support the claim is about people not paying enough.

Nobody is moving the goal post. To get REAL community support you need to know how much of that community is willing to pay $$$ for that cause and not how many are willing to stop for 5 seconds and sign a piece of paper.

Putting up free memberships is not an indication of how well a bid is supported in a community. You need to have a limit of how much you'd like the locals to spend and what you can give them in return (merchandise, stuff for kids, give aways etc) for the money spent.

This is not the way to go for the Ipswich Jets and I can guarantee that the only reason they are doing any sort of membership drive is from the external pressues from the other bids and their memberships campaigns. Having them for free wreaks of desperation to get the bid up to the standards of CCB, WAR & CQNRL.

Other wise the Jets would be offering existing QCup members incentives to financially renew/buy an NRL Jets bid memberships and to get a bunch of locals to sell the brand/bid to the community a'la CCBears or GCTitans or W.A.Reds.

The only reason CQ dont have financial memberships is due to the wealth of their bid team and their arrogance. Jets don't have that kind of wealth so its beyond me why they have this arrogance on the issue.

But best of luck to them. Theyre going to need it. Parts of Ipswich are going to be swamped today so best of luck to the families out there. I know my folks have already sandbagged the sh*t out of their property as the water engulfs the back and front yards.

agreed, they are way off and this is something that really does show how amateur the Ipswich NRL bid is.

Keep saying that mate, who knows it might come true?

Although people should stop thinking about NRL expansion in terms of state and start thinking about NRL expansion in terms of which areas are crying out for a team and not how many teams one state or another have over another.

Community, corporate, financial, sponsor, membership support for the CC proves you wrong. Time and time again. NSW doesn't need another team yet the people are going to great lengths to support the Bears bid? Take the loss and accept that you are wrong. There's no point in mentioning this over and over again. Everytime you do, the CCBEARS sign up 30-odd members.

No one is denying that QLD doesn't need another team but they're not ready. It's a simple fact. Rome wasn't built in a day yet you expect the Ipswich bid to be? You lack business and management perspective if you believe so.

It took the CCBEARS and W.A.Reds a few years to be at this stage. CQ have been at it for almost 2 years now and are far from ready. Ipswich is way behind. These floods aren't helping CQ or Ipswich either. Further delays due to mother nature. Im sure the last thing on the minds of the locals of Ippy or CQ right now is their bids.

Good answer that that mate.

Goddo

Bench
Fancy that, the Bears bids biggest cheerleader agreeing with the Bears biggest fan...

Sounds like unbiased opinion on a rival bid. :roll:

Joker's Wild

Coach
This flood is going to cost the Qld government well into the billions. There will be little left over to fund a new stadium after this.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This flood is going to cost the Qld government well into the billions. There will be little left over to fund a new stadium after this.
I was just about to make this point, QLD has been hit by a disaster, and there is more to come in the next few days. People are now saying it will be significantly worse than the 1974 flood (which was huge). It's going to take a lot of time and money to recover from this and the floods could be what forces the Jets bid to be postponed until the next round.