What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

smithie

Juniors
Originally Posted by smithie
Not bloody likely. While there are a hell of a lot people in Brisbane that hate the Broncos and would love to support another Brisbane team, the idea of people from Brisbane supporting an Ipswich team is f@#kin ridiculous.

There seems to be several people on this forum saying "Ipswich needs a team because ..." or "Central Coast needs a team because ...". No one is saying what the NRL needs.

Are you saying that the NRL needs an 11th team in NSW?

Hell no.

1. Perth
2. Brisbane II (A true second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp that anyone in the greater Brisbane area can support.)
3. Move three Sharks home games in 2012 to Adelaide, with look to full relocation by 2015.
4. NZ II

_Johnsy

Referee
Ipswich and CQ swept away.

Congrats Cpt Dickwad, you have won farkwit of the year and we are 11 days in.

There is going to be many lives lost, and thousands of families destroyed, and you make a pathetic joke.

I hope you or your family never have to deal with this type of tradgedy in any way shape or form, you weak spineless merkin.

jc1.png

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Hell no.

1. Perth
2. Brisbane II (A true second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp that anyone in the greater Brisbane area can support.)
3. Move three Sharks home games in 2012 to Adelaide, with look to full relocation by 2015.
4. NZ II

This is a contention that so many of us have. It truly seems ridiculous to design a bid so as to alienate a huge potential market. Supporters of the Ipswich bid (a lot of whom seem to come from areas outside SEQ) don't seem to understand this.

And the idea of building another stadium? Just lunacy. You have the one of the best rectangular stadiums in the world sitting idle every second weekend. It would be madness not to utilise it.

Ausguy

Coach
Hell no.

1. Perth
4. NZ II

Just out of curiosity.

Why cronulla?

BDGS

Bench
This flood is going to cost the Qld government well into the billions. There will be little left over to fund a new stadium after this.

I was just about to make this point, QLD has been hit by a disaster, and there is more to come in the next few days. People are now saying it will be significantly worse than the 1974 flood (which was huge). It's going to take a lot of time and money to recover from this and the floods could be what forces the Jets bid to be postponed until the next round.

It does shine a new light onto the subject of Expansion.

It would be sorta ironic if bad weather was the thing that sealed the deal for the Bears this time...

so true...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This flood is going to cost the Qld government well into the billions. There will be little left over to fund a new stadium after this.

Yes, but for morale, a new stadium and a team of their own in the major competition of the sport that they love most would be a nice spinner for the gov up there. There would be good news stories about the team for a long time.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just out of curiosity.

Why cronulla?
I've always wondered about the 'sharks to Adelaide' push myself. If someone could enlighten me as the connection I'd be grateful. And I'm looking for real reasons and facts, not the usual dubious offerings of 'from what I hear' or 'what my sources are telling me' that are getting played by some around this thread.

adamkungl

Immortal
This is a contention that so many of us have. It truly seems ridiculous to design a bid so as to alienate a huge potential market. Supporters of the Ipswich bid (a lot of whom seem to come from areas outside SEQ) don't seem to understand this.

And the idea of building another stadium? Just lunacy. You have the one of the best rectangular stadiums in the world sitting idle every second weekend. It would be madness not to utilise it.

This is a point worth noting. If Ipswich comes in, are there still going to be calls for another true Brisbane team? Why is there no Brisbane2 bid? The only noise coming out of SEQLD is from Ipswich at the moment.

I still think that any second Brisbane team should call themselves South Brisbane to represent the large area south of the river

adamkungl

Immortal
I've always wondered about the 'sharks to Adelaide' push myself. If someone could enlighten me as the connection I'd be grateful. And I'm looking for real reasons and facts, not the usual dubious offerings of 'from what I hear' or 'what my sources are telling me' that are getting played by some around this thread.

Sharks are seen as the weakest club in Sydney, and Adelaide is an unrepresented area with no current plans for a club, unlike Perth, QLD, CC. I don't think there's much more to it, other than the idea gaining popularity on here.

Ausguy

Coach

Il fill you in on the responce you will get.

Cos we have never won a comp, that apparently means you are always going to be sh*t and is reason enough to move a club.

or

Due to our current financial state we deserve to be shipped off to a state cos that will 'magically' fix the problem.

or

Gallen is a thug and the sharks are sh*t fugg em off to adelaide.

All really good valid points :roll:

Shame dor the haters that none of it will matter soon enough.

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
Sharks are seen as the weakest club in Sydney, and Adelaide is an unrepresented area with no current plans for a club, unlike Perth, QLD, CC. I don't think there's much more to it, other than the idea gaining popularity on here.

Exaclty... cos its what all the cool kids are doing. Ask Kmav.

_Johnsy

Referee

This is a point worth noting. If Ipswich comes in, are there still going to be calls for another true Brisbane team? Why is there no Brisbane2 bid? The only noise coming out of SEQLD is from Ipswich at the moment.

I still think that any second Brisbane team should call themselves South Brisbane to represent the large area south of the river

Common sense

RedVee

First Grade
Thoughts are with the people of Ipswich and surrounding areas, stay safe. Puts the bickering about a NRL team into perspective I guess.

yes, I was thinking today as the reports were coming in (instead of tennis on 7!) that this could delay both the Qld bids by a year or two. They have more than enough to be thinking about for a good while.

exactly.:clap:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes, but for morale, a new stadium and a team of their own in the major competition of the sport that they love most would be a nice spinner for the gov up there. There would be good news stories about the team for a long time.
Noone is saying no new QLD team ever. It's just the timeframe that's in question. I didn't think 2013 was the right time before this disaster, now even more so. Somewhere around 2018 is perfect for the next QLD team (I'd personally prefer South Brisbane over Ipswich), give it to the Bears and Reds in 2013 as they seem to be ready, and give the next QLD team a few more years to get stronger.

flamin

Juniors
The push was coming from Cronulla itself:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sharks-to-play-in-adelaide/story-e6frexrr-1111117654294

Sharks to play in Adelaide

NRL powerhouse the Cronulla Sharks will play three premiership games in Adelaide over the next three years - and plan to make the state their second home.

Sharks and national rugby league coach Ricky Stuart made the announcement at Hindmarsh Stadium today, saying he wanted Adelaide to become the Sharks' second home.

Cronulla will play the North Queensland Cowboys in April 2008 and expect the 17,000 seat stadium to be close to full.

"I think it (Hindmarsh) is a real rugby league ground, the kind of place players will like to play on and fans will like to watch the games in," Stuart said.

The Sharks will consider playing more games in Adelaide at the end of the three-year experiment.

The Sharks ultimately pulled out of the contract at the end of 2009 to "re-engage" with Sutherland but Fisk, now the ex-Chief Executive Officer, said at the time "we are hopeful we will be invited back to help promote the game of rugby league in Adelaide... The club made many new friends in Adelaide and certainly enjoyed the professional way the promotion was undertaken and the positive outcome last year.””

http://www.sharks.com.au/?s=article-display&id=21223

So there has been some link there in the past. Whether the current admin sees things that way is the question.

adamkungl

Immortal
They should have continued that....having extra support in another state, regardless of whether they intended to relocate, would be good. Probably get a bigger crowd for games against interstate sides in Adelaide than Cronulla anyway.

Latest posts