What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shut up idiot!

who put a cracker up your ar5e?

I'm not saying they would ever relocate, or need to, but they will look to WA to become their second home, playing more games, looking for corporate support from Perth using PHaC contacts here, looking to expand their already existing WA membership base etc. As a club that now thinks outside the box they will lead the way and others will follow looking to Adelaide, CQ, Sunshine coast, Darwin, Wellington, Christchurch etc to grow their support base.

anyone mute point as come 2013 we will have our own team.

Von

Juniors
The Bears shouldn't be allowed in until they fix up that horrendous logo. Looks amateur and messy.

Agree with that mongoose! My mate who is a Bears fan emailed Greg Florimo some months ago about this. Flo said it is something they are looking at.

BearsForever

Juniors
Bye bye Ipswitch!

The more interesting question is, what does the future hold for Broncos? With this kind of flooding becoming common place over the next 10 to 20 years thanks to global warming, how much longer can they remain viable in the NRL? Fancy building your club on a flood plain!

bluey

Bench
Since the Only Brisbane team at present is called the Brisbane broncos
i think the new team should also be called the Brisbane _________? just for sponsor ship alone .If you go south or north , east or Western Brisbane to me they will be not in the same picture as the ponies.There are many advantages to the name Brisbane, the Brisbane Broncos and the Brisbane Goannas?? could easily make that work and both teams would have a better footing.
And why merkin they both play out of Lang park/Suncorp just alternate the weekends you could even have some double headers.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Having two teams in the one city with the same name has not worked for other codes though.

bluey

Bench
I cannot see why it wouldnt work IMO it identifies wher you are from, why should the broncos keep getting the rub of the green they have had, when the second team could/ would end up as there poor cousin.

BearsForever

Juniors
Since the Only Brisbane team at present is called the Brisbane broncos
i think the new team should also be called the Brisbane _________? just for sponsor ship alone .If you go south or north , east or Western Brisbane to me they will be not in the same picture as the ponies.There are many advantages to the name Brisbane, the Brisbane Broncos and the Brisbane Goannas?? could easily make that work and both teams would have a better footing.
And why merkin they both play out of Lang park/Suncorp just alternate the weekends you could even have some double headers.

Well it is always under water for a start.

Quidgybo

Bench
And the idea of building another stadium? Just lunacy. You have the one of the best rectangular stadiums in the world sitting idle every second weekend. It would be madness not to utilise it.
There is of course more than one way to skin that cat. A short term plan would be just to throw another team at Suncorp to get a game there every week. A long term strategy would be to look at the ground as more a regional hub for blockbuster games like the MCG or SCG was in the old match of day era.

In the regional hub plan you work towards having complete regional coverage with teams ringing the SE Queensland region, north (Sunshine Coast), south (Gold Coast) and west (Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba) in addition to a team at the centre (the Broncos). Each team has its own home ground and distinct area to support it while serving to leave no openings for rival codes to gain a foothold without having to take us on head-on from day one.

Each of the perimeter teams plays nine home games at their smaller local grounds and then takes their blockbuster derby games to the regional hub so that supporters from both local teams can get to the game. So when Gold Coast play Sunshine Coast twice each year, those games get played at Suncorp. Same when the Sunshine Coast play the Western team. If you throw in games against the Cowboys as the third derby match for each team then you don't end up having to hand the Broncos any extra home ground advantages.

By planning for the long term instead of just throwing another team at Suncorp, you provide local access to teams in each part of the entire region nine times each season and you ensure that the additional nine games at Suncorp are all high drawing local derbys. In fact you go from a situation where you have just the 12 Broncos home games with only two of those being Queensland derbys to having 18 games (a game at Suncorp three out of every four weeks) and potentially 13 of those being Queensland derbys.

The aim here isn't to just use to Suncorp every week for the sake of using it but rather to make use of it to the best advantage of Rugby League across the entire SE Queensland region. in my opinion that is best achieved by working towards ensuring we have distributed coverage of teams across the entire area and maximising the number of true blockbuster derby matches available to take to Suncorp.

Leigh

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors
Play fair man

Who is joking. Brisbane is built on a flood plain. To what extent will it even be worth rebuilding much of the damaged areas when it is only going to happen again, sooner rather than later with the erratic weather that is going to accompany global warming.

Queensland is a state in decline, not one that needs more rugby league teams. There are too many teams in Queensland as it is.

_Johnsy

Referee
Who is joking. Brisbane is built on a flood plain. To what extent will it even be worth rebuilding much of the damaged areas when it is only going to happen again, sooner rather than later with the erratic weather that is going to accompany global warming.

Queensland is a state in decline, not one that needs more rugby league teams. There are too many teams in Queensland as it is.

Ummm its the 3rd largest city in Australia, & the flooded areas cover the CBD and a large portion of the inner city suburbs. What do you suggest, start the city from scratch ?

As for the last two sentences, you'll need better bait.

BDGS

Bench
I cannot see why it wouldnt work IMO it identifies wher you are from, why should the broncos keep getting the rub of the green they have had, when the second team could/ would end up as there poor cousin.

Well in the case of the Melbourne Heart an Melbourne Victory, apparently Victories crowds have shrunk about the size of the people going to the Heart games. Not expanding rather re-distributing.

I perfer them to be called "South Queensland"

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

You're either:
a) a gimp
b) a troll
c) a merkin
d) all of the above

I'm going with d.

BearsForever

Juniors
Ummm its the 3rd largest city in Australia, & the flooded areas cover the CBD and a large portion of the inner city suburbs. What do you suggest, start the city from scratch ?

As for the last two sentences, you'll need better bait.

Don't rebuild Brisbane only for it to be washed away again. I suppose these people could be our first climate refugees.

The partial rebuild will be most interesting.

_Johnsy

Referee
Don't rebuild Brisbane only for it to be washed away again. I suppose these people could be our first climate refugees.

The partial rebuild will be most interesting.

7 posts hey, looks like someone has created a second account to stir the pot.

jim_57

Staff member

Good tactic targetting people just before dinner but I had a late lunch, sorry. :|

Latest posts