What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BearsForever

Juniors
Wow, in the grand scheme of things all of 10 minutes. Congrats old timer.

Let's see. The Bears of the nineties would make me a 20 year plus follower of rugby league.
League is approximately 100 years old.

20/100 x 100 = 20% of the history of league. Please explain the 10 minutes. No doubt it would be as sensible as the rest of your emotional responses.

_Johnsy

Referee
So Brisbane is not on a floodplain (washed away twice in 37 years)?
The land has not been mismanaged? Try googing "topsoil in Queensland".
As for the Queensland and NSW having the same climate, you are deluded.

In the grand scheme of things
, does this really need to be explained ? It is a turn of phrase. I suspect you knew that though pops.

You really need to stop making things up, or just give the lying a rest.

I have not stated once that QLD & NSW have the same climate, nor did I claim that Brisbane or parts of Brisbane are not on flood plains, nor did I suggest anything to do with land being mismanaged.

Trust me, you don't need to educate me on top soil issues.

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors

In the grand scheme of things
, does this really need to be explained ? It is a turn of phrase. I suspect you knew that though pops.

I have not stated once that QLD & NSW have the same climate, nor did I claim that Brisbane or parts of Brisbane are not on flood plains.

You really dont need to educate me on top soil issues, I have a degree in a relevant field to that topic.

You claimed the rainfall that occurred could have happened "anywhere" (read NSW). From a rainfall perspective you are claiming the climate is similar or the same, and it just aint so :)

You seem to be agreeing with me, so why are you seemingly annoyed with me?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You are a thoughtful and interesting contributor, and probably far smarter than I, but I must take you up on this point.

I don't buy the regional hub plan as one sufficiently encapsulating football supporters in the South-east region. For a start, it assumes that support for the Broncos comes from the inner ring of suburbs. I don't have figures on this but I would say the majority of support and attendees at Broncos matches do not come from this area.

Gold Coast is a separate city, it has it's own identity and it is incidental that it is within 100km of Brisbane. This club would have been a success even if it was 1000km from the capital.

Limiting possible future teams to the areas you mentioned significantly weakens their future prospects for growth. A bid needs to tap into an area from Wide Bay to Toowoomba and down to Logan, just as the Broncos do reasonably successfully at present. It can base itself and have its training ground and clubhouse somewhere in the Springfield region or whatever, that's fine, but it needs to play every game at Suncorp Stadium. By doing this it puts itself at the heart of public transport networks and at the forefront of the regions consciousness.

You regional idea also assumes that SEQ and the NRL needs two new sides. I don't believe it does. One more side will create an unbelievably strong rivalry in the city and more than likely firm the support of the Broncos club. With this being the case, it could be a case of 'two's company, three's a crowd' if you were to dilute the market.

'Brisbane' can easily work as a name. There have been some poor examples used by some to claim otherwise. The Victory/Heart example is hardly worthy of discussion, because in Melbourne soccer is a second string sport in regards to the levels of support. I would prefer to use Manchester as a better example and one that Brisbane would be more synonymous with. That is, two different types of clubs representing the one city.

Brisbane Diehards all the way!

There's no real wrong answer really, it'll be interesting to find out how the NRL sees it.

Surprised you think a Sunshine Coast team isn't an inevitability though. Over 300K people already, give them 10+ years and I'd think that they were a certainty. Also remember Gallop mentioning them as an expansion area a few years ago too.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...t-in-qld-gallop/2008/02/22/1203467360574.html
Gallop reiterated that the NRL had long term plans to expand in south-east Queensland - namely the Sunshine Coast and the Ipswich-Logan corridor west of Brisbane.

"We don't have a time frame but we are certainly conscious of making sure we have a presence in large population growth areas," he said.

"When we are in a position to expand, those two areas (Sunshine Coast, Ipswich-Logan) would have their hands up."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/its-war-league-attacks-afl/story-e6frexnr-1111115622346
"While the other codes chase areas we are already in, we have the Central Coast, an area west of Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and New Zealand in our sights as possible future NRL franchises. There's Perth too. It's an area we could explore.

_Johnsy

Referee
You claimed the rainfall that occurred could have happened "anywhere" (read NSW). From a rainfall perspective you are claiming the climate is similar or the same, and it just aint so :)

No I am not. Did you actually study and science at school?

Climate does not equal rainfall. Not even from a "rainfall perspective" FMD that's funny.

In simple terms climate is the following in a defined are (temperature, air pressure, humidity, cloud cover/type, wind speed/direction, amount of sun, and rainfall)

Go back and actually read what I typed, or stop misquoting.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I don't know a great deal about the Sunny Coast area, not having spent a lot of time there over the years. I do understand that it is a significant area of growth, and wouldn't discount their claims.

A lot depends on where the NRL is heading in ten years time and how many teams are seen as optimal for the comp. In the hands of our current leaders, these issues haven't been adequately addressed. Personally, I don't see the comp having any more than twenty sides, with the addition of Perth, CC, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2. So I'm not sure there will be room for another SEQ side.

That is really my point, if there is only ever going to be one more SEQ club, it better be the right bloody club.

_Johnsy

Referee
I don't know a great deal about the Sunny Coast area, not having spent a lot of time there over the years. I do understand that it is a significant area of growth, and wouldn't discount their claims.

A lot depends on where the NRL is heading in ten years time and how many teams are seen as optimal for the comp. In the hands of our current leaders, these issues haven't been adequately addressed. Personally, I don't see the comp having any more than twenty sides, with the addition of Perth, CC, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2. So I'm not sure there will be room for another SEQ side.

That is really my point, if there is only ever going to be one more SEQ club, it better be the right bloody club.

At least one more SE-QLD club is a must, that much is clear.

BearsForever

Juniors
No I am not. Did you actually study and science at school?

Climate does not equal rainfall. Not even from a "rainfall perspective" FMD that's funny.

In simple terms climate is the following in a defined are (temperature, air pressure, humidity, cloud cover/type, wind speed/direction, amount of sun, and rainfall)

Go back and actually read what I typed, or stop misquoting.

I know what you wrote, and I also know a man who is clinging to semantics. You know
full well what was meant :)

_Johnsy

Referee
I actually pity you. Just man up and admit you are wrong. Its there in black and white.

Another SE-QLD side would have more of a future than the defunct bears have a past.

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors
I actually pity you. Just man up and admit you are wrong. Its there in black and white.

Wrong about what? The argument is about the future of Queensland and with it Queensland rugby league. So far you have made ad hominem attacks, and diverted from the argument about the semantics of what constitutes climate (when the use of license was clear).

BearsForever

Juniors
Re-read the thread and your contributions.

You haven't made an argument Johnsy. You have agreed Brishane is built on a flood plain and has been flooded (in an extraordinary way) twice in 37 years. Apparently there was a flash
flood in South Sydney in 1986. I don't remember it because the infrastructure damage was
obviously trivial.

You attempted to claim that the flooding was as likely in the NSW rugby league heartland (the sydney clubs) as it was in Queensland (it could happen "anywhere"). This resulted in silly posturing about the relevance of rainfall and its role in the definition of climate.

You agreed the land in Queensland has been mismanaged!

I have merely put forward the obvious -> why bother rebuilding Brisbane! Like it or not, this has been heavily discussed all day in various media. With your degree in topsoil or whatever
I assume you are not a climate denier. You will know that these floods will likely not be one in one hundred year events, but one in ten year events.

Queensland's decline has begun, and with it, the decline of Queensland rugby league.

Loudstrat

Coach
Having two teams in the one city with the same name has not worked for other codes though.
Manchester City and United

About 5 years ago Wollongong got 9 times the Toowoomba amount one day. Water swept straight down into WIN stadium.

Leichhardt, Penrith and Parramatta are built closer to the river than Lang Park. As is Bluetongue. Shark Park is built on a swamp.

BearsForever

Juniors
Manchester City and United

About 5 years ago Wollongong got 9 times the Toowoomba amount one day. Water swept straight down into WIN stadium.

Leichhardt, Penrith and Parramatta are built closer to the river than Lang Park. As is Bluetongue. Shark Park is built on a swamp.

It is about sustained rainfall I'm afraid. After extensive rainfall over a sustained period
the water table becomes saturated. The odd downfall here or there (one days worth) isn't
the problem in Sydney but it is the straw that breaks the camels back in Queensland . That is why you won't be able to quote me any damage bill dollar figures that comes in
cooee of Queensland floods of 74 or now. 74 adjusted figure is approx 2 Billion by the way.

Cheers

adamkungl

Immortal
There's no real wrong answer really, it'll be interesting to find out how the NRL sees it.

Surprised you think a Sunshine Coast team isn't an inevitability though. Over 300K people already, give them 10+ years and I'd think that they were a certainty. Also remember Gallop mentioning them as an expansion area a few years ago too.

Rugby League's potential to expand is really quite impressive.
AFL has nowhere to go, because nobody in the largest population centres care enough for more than 1 team (let alone the 2 they will soon have). All the largest and fastest growing country towns are in QLD. We can go international at least two more times.

Perth, Central Coast, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Rockhampton, PNG, Wellington, Christchurch, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart. (obviously some of these aren't really realistic options for a couple of decades)

_Johnsy

Referee
You haven't made an argument Johnsy. You have agreed Brishane is built on a flood plain and has been flooded (in an extraordinary way) twice in 37 years. Apparently there was a flash
flood in South Sydney in 1986. I don't remember it because the infrastructure damage was
obviously trivial.

You attempted to claim that the flooding was as likely in the NSW rugby league heartland (the sydney clubs) as it was in Queensland (it could happen "anywhere"). This resulted in silly posturing about the relevance of rainfall and its role in the definition of climate.

You agreed the land in Queensland has been mismanaged!

I have merely put forward the obvious -> why bother rebuilding Brisbane! Like it or not, this has been heavily discussed all day in various media. With your degree in topsoil or whatever
I assume you are not a climate denier. You will know that these floods will likely not be one in one hundred year events, but one in ten year events.

Queensland's decline has begun, and with it, the decline of Queensland rugby league.

Lets start at the beginning of your claims, hell I'll even bold the points.

I stated the future of Queensland, and therefore Queensland rugby league is in doubt. I have taken the side of the argument that the future of Queensland is bleak, based on an appeal to authority RE climate science. Brisbane and Ipswitch are built on a flood plain.
None of the Sydney clubs are built on a flood plain

Are you sure about that ? There was flash flooding in South Sydney in June this year (areas also affected were the CBD and the eastern parts of the metropolitan area.
I take it you forgot about the Sydney floods in 1986 that killed 6 people. You can have a bit of a search and I am sure you'll find that the Parramatta River Catchment is in fact considered a major flood risk.
http://www.uprct.nsw.gov.au/Maps%20&%20Overheads/whole%20catchment%20map.pdf
It is about infrastructure, not lives. The deaths of 12 people/ 6 people etc are trivial in the scheme of things (not for their families obviously but from national perspective). Our rainfall patterns are nothing like what has caused the current flooding in Queensland, combine that with the way they have degraded the land and you have a completely different situation. You are clutching at straws.

Firstly floodplains, now infrastructure.

It was originally about floodplains, now it's infrastructure. Can you keep the goalposts still. The rainfall patterns that have occurred up here can happen anywhere, the intensity of the rainfall & the topography of where it fell is the issue. Give up, your ridiculous claims re: topography, floodplains, rainfall and land management are making you look foolish.

Believe it or not the amount of rainfall that has been received over the last 4 days in the area west of Brisbane, have, can and will occur again in varying parts of Australia.
I take it you aware of the monsoonal rains you get in Darwin.
The highest ever annual rainfall is at Mt Bellenden Ker in Far Nth-QLD over 11,000mm. Tully also has a mean annual rainfall of 4400mm. In the 70's Melbourne received more than 120mm rain in 2 hours.
In 1984 Sydney city centre had over 190mm in 3 hours. In he same year Wollongong received over 800mm in 24hours on the escarpment. Alice Springs had over 300mm of rain in less than 24 hours[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] in 88. [/SIZE][/FONT]So these freak rain events, that result in flash flooding occur in many places, as I claimed.

The goal posts washed away when they built the infrastructure on the flood plains!
So Brisbane is not on a floodplain (washed away twice in 37 years)?
The land has not been mismanaged? Try googing "topsoil in Queensland".
As for the Queensland and NSW having the same climate, you are deluded.
I did not state that Brisbane is not on a floodplain, I did not state the land has not been mismanaged, all of Australia's historic farming lands have been mismanaged, I did not state that QLD & NSW have the same climate. That is a lie, plain and simple.

I have not stated once that QLD & NSW have the same climate, nor did I claim that Brisbane or parts of Brisbane are not on flood plains, nor did I suggest anything to do with land being mismanaged.
Trust me, you don't need to educate me on top soil issues.

You claimed the rainfall that occurred could have happened "anywhere" (read NSW). From a rainfall perspective you are claiming the climate is similar or the same, and it just aint so . You seem to be agreeing with me, so why are you seemingly annoyed with me?
No i m not. You jumped to this conclusion all by yourself. As I said before, these type of rain events (that cause flash flooding) can occure anywhere. These short heavy rainfall amounts are not defined to anyone area. Prevailing climate conditions will deermine this. Areas are more prone to these rain events.

No I am not. Did you actually study and science at school? Climate does not equal rainfall. Not even from a "rainfall perspective" FMD that's funny. In simple terms climate is the following in a defined are (temperature, air pressure, humidity, cloud cover/type, wind speed/direction, amount of sun, and rainfall) Go back and actually read what I typed, or stop misquoting.
I have provided above the difference between climate and rainfall. If you mis-interpreted what i wrote, not my problem. It's there in black and white.

I know what you wrote, and I also know a man who is clinging to semantics. You know full well what was meant
clip_image001.gif

Yeah, i do. Now you can check it aain.

Wrong about what? The argument is about the future of Queensland and with it Queensland rugby league. So far you have made ad hominem attacks, and diverted from the argument about the semantics of what constitutes climate (when the use of license was clear).
You were wrong with your claims above.
The "argument" topic is there to see. You are the one who chops and changes without addressing points raised. If you make a claim that is wrong, just admit it and cop it on the chin and move on. Exactly what licence are you refering to, this is the first time it has been mentioned. Dodging again ?

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors
Points that bother Johnsy explained.

1) "None of the Sydney clubs are built on a flood plain" -> translation for
your benefit, none are built on comparable flood plains. Proof: If
we had comparable floodplains you could quote me a dollar figure
in the ball park of the 2 billion of the 74 flood (adjusted) and god
knows what time round. Please produce a damages bill that is even
remotely interesting for a Sydney flash flood for the last 50 years.

2) "It is about infrastructure". For the life of me I don't understand
why you don't understand the link between infrastructure and floodplains.
You don't build infrastructure on a flood plain. It is like pitching your
tent in a dry creek bed.

3) "Our rainfall patterns are nothing like what has caused the current flooding
in Queensland". Well you need sustained rainfall to saturate the water
table and then more water on top of that. I suspect you will find that
there has been very significant sustained rainfall saturating the water
table further north and this has moved slowly down into Brisbane. This is
the rainfall that I am referring to -> and we don't get in NSW. Hence
you can't quote me a figure in the ball park of your queensland floods.

4) "The rainfall patterns that have occurred up here can happen anywhere, the intensity of the rainfall & the topography of where it fell is the issue. So rainfall patterns don't include intensity? It is the rainfall up NORF that is
the cause of your problems. See point 3.

5) From a rainfall perspective you are claiming the climate is similar or the same, and it just aint so . You seem to be agreeing with me, so why are you seemingly annoyed with me?" There should have been a paragraph after the first
sentence. My bad. I meant you were agreeing about poor land management,
flood plains etc so was wondering why you are so offended by my arguments.

6) The semantic argument about climate and rainfall doesn't interest me.
I would suggest they are linked though.

Cheers.

Latest posts