What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

adamkungl

Immortal
The growth you guys do have has been in line with the other Sydney clubs...the ones who didn't piss away history for no good reason. Do you really think some kid in the Western Suburbs when he's at that age of picking a club will go "oh wow, those Sydney Roosters, they represent everyone, they're certainly not Bondi latte drinkers...I'll become a lifelong rooster fan now!"

It was a cheap and failed ploy. Do you really think ANYONE thinks you don't represent the Eastern Suburbs? You're Easts, deal with it.

We have widespread fans without changing our name to "Sydney Rabbitohs". We're proudly "Souths" and we've grown our support by being well managed.

You guys should proudly be "Easts" and grow your team the proper way, not in a sad way like changing your name that noone falls for. It's sad that the only other foundation club has messed with something as important as their name. I still hold out hope you will make the wise decision and change back one day like the Dogs and Tigers did.

I agree with BunniesMan. 'Sydney' Roosters is a bullsh*t name. If the club felt the need to change from Eastern Suburbs (which in a national comp context is reasonable), they should have changed to East Sydney.

_Johnsy

Referee
I see this jumper
roosters%202011%20home.jpg

& i think Eastern Suburbs, not Sydney.

The growth you guys do have has been in line with the other Sydney clubs...the ones who didn't piss away history for no good reason. Do you really think some kid in the Western Suburbs when he's at that age of picking a club will go "oh wow, those Sydney Roosters, they represent everyone, they're certainly not Bondi latte drinkers...I'll become a lifelong rooster fan now!"

It was a cheap and failed ploy. Do you really think ANYONE thinks you don't represent the Eastern Suburbs? You're Easts, deal with it.

We have widespread fans without changing our name to "Sydney Rabbitohs". We're proudly "Souths" and we've grown our support by being well managed.

You guys should proudly be "Easts" and grow your team the proper way, not in a sad way like changing your name that noone falls for. It's sad that the only other foundation club has messed with something as important as their name. I still hold out hope you will make the wise decision and change back one day like the Dogs and Tigers did.

"Still hold out hope...." piss off Bunnieboy, get your hand off it. You don't
give a flying f**k about the Roosters so why show interest or concern.

Stick to supporting your side > The perennial pre-season Premiers.
1989 to 2010 = semi finalists ONCE.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I see this jumper
roosters%202011%20home.jpg

& i think Eastern Suburbs, not Sydney.
Complimenting the Roosters is the kind of thing that gives me a facial tic for the rest of the day. But I'll do it anyway, they may have a geniused stupid name that is a cheap (and failed) marketing ploy, but I've gotta say that's a great jersey. Nice to see the complete V.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Or Bunniesman and Gaba's lovechild ;-)
BunniesMan is straight. BunniesMan doesn't have sex with geniused people. BunniesMan also doesn't have sex with ugly people (BunniesMan doesn't go any lower than a 7). That rules Gaba out on all 3 counts. So that means Gaba's chances of getting into BunniesMan's pants are...zero.

And also, if i did have a child like Bearsforever...I'd euthanise.

supera

Juniors
i can't figure out why the Roosters didn't rebadge to become the Bondi Roosters - identifying your name with that area is a national and international marketting gold mine.

BunniesMan

Immortal
i can't figure out why the Roosters didn't rebadge to become the Bondi Roosters - identifying your name with that area is a national and international marketting gold mine.
They talked about it in 2009 but nothing came from it. I'd prefer Eastern Suburbs (or the more nationally relevant version: East Sydney) but "Bondi" is still a thousand times better than "Sydney".

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Correct.

In 1995, Balmain (Sydney Tigers), Canterbury (Sydney Bulldogs) and Eastern Suburbs (Sydney City Roosters) changed their names.

In 1997, Canterbury and Balmain reverted to their original names while Eastern Suburbs maintained the Sydney City name until 1999. In 2000, they simplified this to just "Sydney Roosters".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Jets sounds ok.
for a WESTERN australia team?
Western doesn't describe what part of the country the team is from, unless of course you are from WA! Fine when it was a one city suburban comp but as an evolving national comp Brisbane or Queensland has to be in title imo.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I've spent quite a bit of time on the north coast. I have no doubt that in a decade+ it could support a full-time NRL side by itself.

Give the four expansion teams to Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2. We already have strong identities for three of these potential teams and the Kiwi's would probably want to form their own identity instead of accepting a relocated Aussie one.

Then we leave Adelaide and the Sunny Coast for relocations from Sydney clubs which are struggling.

You've summed it up nicely there.

The situation I would not like to see, and one that Quidgybo has alluded to is having two clubs representing the west and north of SEQ, having to compete with the Broncos. How could they? Brisbane have such a huge market presence that it would make it extremely difficult for them to compete.

My suggestion is for a bid that could have as large a market presence as the Broncos currently do, rather than two smaller clubs covering those areas. Ideally this would result in a situation where you have two clubs of equal size and strength playing out of Suncorp Stadium on alternating weeks. Rugby League in the region would never look back. Again, we can go back to the example of Manchester for inspiration.

If by chance,a Sydney club decides to move to Sunshine Coast then that would be great. But that is another discussion altogether.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Different country.

When has it worked in Australia seeming this is an Australian competition and there is Australian history of it not working well in other Australian competitions.

That is an extremely poor argument. We can't use a different country as a good example but you can use another competition as a bad example :roll:.

If you understand Brisbane, which you are not showing any evidence of, then you will know that it is not really a tribal city any more. Was once upon a time, but sadly for some that tribal aspect has been lost. People in the city identify with the city as a whole. All a new bid team would need to do is to differentiate themselves from the Broncos and they could capture the hearts of many footy supporters who are looking for such a club to represent them and their city.

The Manchester example is very apt for Brisbane in the Rugby League world. In the EPL, you have London with its myriad tribal clubs in different parts of the city a la Sydney. Then you have Manchester, second largest city in the country with two clubs. The Broncos are similar to Man U in many ways in that they are a glamour club widely supported around the country but not necessarily in their city. Man City are far more popular.

What Brisbane needs is its own Man City. A club that can identify with disenfranchised supporters in Brisbane and the SEQ region.

disclaimer: I do not wish to denigrate the Broncos in this thread as I understand they have an enormous connection with the Brisbane community but sometimes are not perceived as such.

BDGS

Bench
That is an extremely poor argument. We can't use a different country as a good example but you can use another competition as a bad example :roll:.

lol a better comparison would be something used in our country and not something half way around the world.

adamkungl

Immortal

If you understand Brisbane, which you are not showing any evidence of, then you will know that it is not really a tribal city any more. Was once upon a time, but sadly for some that tribal aspect has been lost. People in the city identify with the city as a whole. All a new bid team would need to do is to differentiate themselves from the Broncos and they could capture the hearts of many footy supporters who are looking for such a club to represent them and their city.

The Manchester example is very apt for Brisbane in the Rugby League world. In the EPL, you have London with its myriad tribal clubs in different parts of the city a la Sydney. Then you have Manchester, second largest city in the country with two clubs. The Broncos are similar to Man U in many ways in that they are a glamour club widely supported around the country but not necessarily in their city. Man City are far more popular.

What Brisbane needs is its own Man City. A club that can identify with disenfranchised supporters in Brisbane and the SEQ region.

disclaimer: I do not wish to denigrate the Broncos in this thread as I understand they have an enormous connection with the Brisbane community but sometimes are not perceived as such.

How would people feel about a second team being called Brisbane City Diehards or whatever...just to differentiate from Brisbane. For some reason 2 teams called Brisbane irks me :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
the mroe I think about it the more the Fremantle- Eagles scenario is exactly the same as the Ipswich- Brisbane one. Fremantle has a pop of less than 250K, play in Perth not Fremantle, faced the challenge of moving in on a powerhouse existing club, chose an area name not a generic Perth or WA. They have managed to do it ina city of smaller size so why wouldn't Ipswich be able to?

Latest posts