What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

_Johnsy

Referee
1) I provided information for you to search for. Fact is the entire Parramatta catchment is considered a flood plain by the Parramatta Council. I believe them. You only mention comparable now. The two sentences (one with comparable & one without have two very different meanings) Had you stated that initially we would probably not be here.

2) I understand the link. I took them as two seperate issues, as you mentioned them in seperate posts. A simple misunderstanding.

3) Saturation point needs to be obtained. As I said these rainfall events that flash flooding occur from happen in many areas around Australia, of course after saturation point has been reached.

4) Rainfall intensity occurs in every event mentioned above (and the other examples I provided).

5) No probs.

6) they are linked, as one is a part of the other. However both very different topics.

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors
1) I provided information for you to search for. Fact is the entire Parramatta catchment is considered a flood plain by the Parramatta Council. I believe them. You only mention comparable now. The two sentences (one with comparable & one without have two very different meanings) Had you stated that initially we would probably not be here.

2) I understand the link. I took them as two seperate issues, as you mentioned them in seperate posts. A simple misunderstanding.

3) Saturation point needs to be obtained. As I said these rainfall events that flash flooding occur from happen in many areas around Australia, of course after saturation point has been reached.

4) Rainfall intensity occurs in every event mentioned above (and the other examples I provided).

5) No probs.

6) they are linked, as one is a part of the other. However both very different topics.

Okay. Look on the bright side. You made me only half watch the cricket :)

BunniesMan

Immortal
It is time to jettison Queensland clubs, not add more clubs with no future!

I actually pity you. Just man up and admit you are wrong. Its there in black and white.

Another SE-QLD side would have more of a future than the defunct bears have a past.
For two blokes fighting you sure do have a lot in common...you're both wrong. Of course there is room for another Queensland team with a bright future, just as there is room for one on the Central coast.

CC in 2013, QLD in 2018 and everyone's happy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sydney Roosters 1995 onwards & Sydney Bulldogs 1995 (one year only)

Do I get a prize ?
And the Tigers also took that geniused path for 95 and 96. The Tigers and Bulldogs figured out it was useless and returned to their proper names.

With their sh*t membership numbers the Roosters obviously haven't been helped by the dumb name change, they're just too stupid to figure it out.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I don't know a great deal about the Sunny Coast area, not having spent a lot of time there over the years. I do understand that it is a significant area of growth, and wouldn't discount their claims.

A lot depends on where the NRL is heading in ten years time and how many teams are seen as optimal for the comp. In the hands of our current leaders, these issues haven't been adequately addressed. Personally, I don't see the comp having any more than twenty sides, with the addition of Perth, CC, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2. So I'm not sure there will be room for another SEQ side.

That is really my point, if there is only ever going to be one more SEQ club, it better be the right bloody club.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the north coast. I have no doubt that in a decade+ it could support a full-time NRL side by itself.

Give the four expansion teams to Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2. We already have strong identities for three of these potential teams and the Kiwi's would probably want to form their own identity instead of accepting a relocated Aussie one.

Then we leave Adelaide and the Sunny Coast for relocations from Sydney clubs which are struggling.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Rugby League's potential to expand is really quite impressive.
AFL has nowhere to go, because nobody in the largest population centres care enough for more than 1 team (let alone the 2 they will soon have). All the largest and fastest growing country towns are in QLD. We can go international at least two more times.

Perth, Central Coast, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Rockhampton, PNG, Wellington, Christchurch, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart. (obviously some of these aren't really realistic options for a couple of decades)

Could always add T'ba to that list if the Jets lose out to a Brisbane Diehards-style bid. Second biggest inland city in the nation after Canberra.

Having two teams in the one city with the same name has not worked for other codes though.

Other then soccer (NSL) and now with Melbourne Heart and Victory which is actually working. Which other sport has tried it. Even the three NBL teams were North Melb, Eastside Spectres and only Tigers used Melb. AFL does not do it and has not tried it.

Hard to say it has not worked in other codes when only one has tried it and the one code that has it currently seems to be getting it to work.

mongoose

Coach
It is about sustained rainfall I'm afraid. After extensive rainfall over a sustained period
the water table becomes saturated. The odd downfall here or there (one days worth) isn't
the problem in Sydney but it is the straw that breaks the camels back in Queensland . That is why you won't be able to quote me any damage bill dollar figures that comes in
cooee of Queensland floods of 74 or now. 74 adjusted figure is approx 2 Billion by the way.

Cheers

If Sydney got the amount of rain brisbane has had over the past month and a half parts of it would be flooded as well.

And the Tigers also took that geniused path for 95 and 96. The Tigers and Bulldogs figured out it was useless and returned to their proper names.

With their sh*t membership numbers the Roosters obviously haven't been helped by the dumb name change, they're just too stupid to figure it out.

Doubled our crowds since we did it. Plus we actually do represent Sydney as Sydney falls in our area. So why not use it.

I think the fact you guys still use South Sydney is admirable as well considering you are a Homebush side.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Doubled our crowds since we did it. Plus we actually do represent Sydney as Sydney falls in our area. So why not use it.
The growth you guys do have has been in line with the other Sydney clubs...the ones who didn't piss away history for no good reason. Do you really think some kid in the Western Suburbs when he's at that age of picking a club will go "oh wow, those Sydney Roosters, they represent everyone, they're certainly not Bondi latte drinkers...I'll become a lifelong rooster fan now!"

It was a cheap and failed ploy. Do you really think ANYONE thinks you don't represent the Eastern Suburbs? You're Easts, deal with it.
I think the fact you guys still use South Sydney is admirable as well considering you are a Homebush side.
We have widespread fans without changing our name to "Sydney Rabbitohs". We're proudly "Souths" and we've grown our support by being well managed.

You guys should proudly be "Easts" and grow your team the proper way, not in a sad way like changing your name that noone falls for. It's sad that the only other foundation club has messed with something as important as their name. I still hold out hope you will make the wise decision and change back one day like the Dogs and Tigers did.

bobmar28

Bench
If the team is called "Ipswich" I think it places a ceiling on how widespread their support base will be. "South Brisbane" will have a better chance at attracting Brisbane RL fans who are anti-broncos, and then on top of that getting fans from places like Ipswich and Logan.

Western Jets sounds ok.

bobmar28

Bench
It is quite consistent Johnsy. I stated the future of Queensland, and therefore Queensland rugby league is in doubt. I have taken the side of the argument that the future of Queensland is bleak, based on an appeal to authority RE climate science.

Brisbane and Ipswitch are built on a flood plain. Don't blame me, they pitched their tent
in a dry creek. These areas have been catastrophically flooded twice in 37 years, hopefully this time they learn their lesson (don't stick your tent there again).

None of the Sydney clubs are built on a flood plain :)

Are you joking? Or are you the joke?

Joker's Wild

Coach
As a proud NSWelshman Ive been known to stick the boot into Qlders for fun, but BearsForever is taking idiocy to new levels.

Give yourself 1000 mate

As a proud NSWelshman Ive been known to stick the boot into Qlders for fun, but BearsForever is taking idiocy to new levels.

Give yourself 1000 mate

As a committed Bears fan. I agree with you. I also believe whole heartedly that this bloke is actually a CCBEARS hater with a second account.