What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
For those bagging this decision, this could pave the way for Souths to return to the eastern suburbs...

Even if this fails horribly, it's shown that the SFS is serious about getting games off ANZ, this competition can only be good for the clubs.

TFS85

Juniors
Biggest whinges last year Telstra/Anz being a cavernous concrete whole and 5 home grounds.

Now we have SFS and only have 3 home grounds.

Its not 6 & 6 LO & CS but its a step in the right direction.

Stop whinging FFS.

The supporters will support a winning club regardless of where it is based. I have spent many a day/night at LO with <5k in attendance (after the artificial boosting of figures).

As always, Westie is being divisive.

Leichhardt, just like Campbelltown has been witness to some paltry crowds over the years. What's your point? Why would the JV fabricate crowds at Leichhardt but presumably not at Cambo? It may astound you to realise that overall Leichhardt draws more than Campbelltown by around 500 ppl.

Yeah fans turn up when the team is winning, but they just as quickly drop off in the bad times. Penrith are a clear example of this trend. Once more, what's your point?

What needs to be done from our point of view is to secure an massive area of untapped support lest we remain homeless and eventually become irrelevant in the face of forward moving Souths and Easts. Balmain is as relevant as Newtown, Glebe, Annandale, Cumberland et al. We are now a Sydney club in danger of being swamped.

Our point of view? You are nothing but a diehard magpies fan masquerading as a Wests Tigers supporter

The Wests Tigers need to consolidate its position in the South West but not by alienating or dispersing its inner-west support base. And that's exactly what would occur if the Tigers moved permanently to Campbelltown. You are deluded if you think that the current supporters would continue to turn up if the Inner West were surrendered to the encroaching Easts & Souths clubs. How the hell would a club that has no connection with the local area resonate with any old Balmain fans? You are not envisaging a Wests Tigers club but a resurrected Wests Magpies.

I've always thought that an appropriate compromise would be 8/9 Cambo - 4/3 Leichhardt. If you want a fulltime team in Campbelltown maybe you should revive the Magpies on the basis of their immensely successful 10yr tenure at Orana Park and Balmain could jump in bed with Easts or Souths.

Last edited:
Biggest whinges last year Telstra/Anz being a cavernous concrete whole and 5 home grounds.

Now we have SFS and only have 3 home grounds.

Its not 6 & 6 LO & CS but its a step in the right direction.

Stop whinging FFS.

East is a step in the right direction for the Wests Tigers?

It's nothing of the sort. Talk bollocks somewhere else.

westie

Bench
As always, Westie is being divisive.

Leichhardt, just like Campbelltown has been witness to some paltry crowds over the years. What's your point? Why would the JV fabricate crowds at Leichhardt but presumably not at Cambo? It may astound you to realise that overall Leichhardt draws more than Campbelltown by around 500 ppl.

Yeah fans turn up when the team is winning, but they just as quickly drop off in the bad times. Penrith are a clear example of this trend. Once more, what's your point?

Our point of view? You are nothing but a diehard magpies fan masquerading as a Wests Tigers supporter

The Wests Tigers need to consolidate its position in the South West but not by alienating or dispersing its inner-west support base. And that's exactly what would occur if the Tigers moved permanently to Campbelltown. You are deluded if you think that the current supporters would continue to turn up if the Inner West were surrendered to the encroaching Easts & Souths clubs. How the hell would a club that has no connection with the local area resonate with any old Balmain fans? You are not envisaging a Wests Tigers club but a resurrected Wests Magpies.

I've always thought that an appropriate compromise would be 8/9 Cambo - 4/3 Leichhardt. If you want a fulltime team in Campbelltown maybe you should revive the Magpies on the basis of their immensely successful 10yr tenure at Orana Park and Balmain could jump in bed with Easts or Souths.

Still waiting for that quote nobber... :lol:

Surrender the inner west? What inner west?

Why do you keep rubbishing on about Campbelltown when I have repeatedly said that its too far west and that I think the ground is a useless dump.

If you give a team to an area and build loyal regular support in the way of committed members then you can survive a down-turn in form. There's a reason why teams such as Brisbane don't lose form very often...

For the same reason as moving to the SFS won't build a committed fan base, spending time 5-10 minutes west will fail as well.

----

Why can't you see that committing to an area is our only viable future?

TFS85

Juniors
East is a step in the right direction for the Wests Tigers?

It's nothing of the sort. Talk bollocks somewhere else.

Step 1: Out of Telstra/ANZ concrete jungle and into a real football stadium.

Step 2 : 3 grounds is less than 5.

Your right its not one step in the right direction - its two. :lol:

Still waiting for that quote nobber... :lol:

Surrender the inner west? What inner west?

Oh I dunno, the Balmain and former Western Suburbs districts.

Why do you keep rubbishing on about Campbelltown when I have repeatedly said that its too far west and that I think the ground is a useless dump.

FFS. You're proposing that we arbitrarily decide upon a new location, as long as it is somewhere in the West and slightly closer to the city. Any suggestions? Why would we abandon Campbelltown if it already has the foundations of a decent ground? Do you actually think the NRL and state govt would approve of us spurning the $20m Campbelltown investment only to move down the road?

If you give a team to an area and build loyal regular support in the way of committed members then you can survive a down-turn in form. There's a reason why teams such as Brisbane don't lose form very often...

Your rhetoric doesn't really work when applied to most Sydney clubs, particularly the Panthers. Financially, yes, they are in a strong position, but they've hardly managed to build up a committed support base despite 40 years in the area and 2 premierships in that time.

I only use the example of Penrith because it provides insight into how a South West Sydney team may struggle. Penrith has a burgeoning population of young low-income families that have recently moved to the area. At first there was a general expectation that these new families would immediately embrace the local side, but no one took account of the loyalties these people had to their old teams. Naturally, interest in the Panthers piqued when they won the GFs but the ensuing decline on each occasion exposed a fickle support base. Obviously the Wests Tigers would have the benefit of pre-existing support, although I'm highly sceptical that the majority of current fans would be as ardent in their support of a team based entirely in the South West.

Ryan

Juniors
Great move by Tigers. They are a boutique side, and the SCG is historic and fitting for their club and fans.
Well done.
A CEO that knows what moves to make. Would have been a very tough decision as well.
Extremely easy to get to as well.
International Backrowers coming.

The skies the limits. Go Tigers.

From us Manly fans.

A strong Tigers unit = a very healthy competition.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Yeah, but it's the Wests Tigers.

Commonsense isn't something our admin is familiar with.
The future is the Sydney Tigers :)

It is of paramount importance that Wests be excluded from our name and we go back to black and gold.

While we are at it, we should bring back our real theme song.

I should think all Balmain fans are ecstatic with this development.

Loudstrat

Coach
Talking about renovating stadiums - and problems getting to them -

Redevelop Lidcome to a 25k all seater. Problem solved.

Hanscholo

Bench
Here is the thing. Why on earth wouldnt they be playing games at Campbelltown, and a couple at Leichardt. I just dont get it. Isnt that supposed to be the strength of the joint venture? Campbelltown??? Im amazed at this. It seems as though its not enough to alienate supporters by merging you have to run insult into injury and play games 80km away from the majority of the prospective supporter base. Im astonished.

What is wrong with Campbelltown? Are we just leaving it for the AFL? The NRL need to tell the tigers to get their arses out and develop their area not f**king around in the east playing games.

Last edited:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Here is the thing. Why on earth wouldnt they be playing games at Campbelltown, and a couple at Leichardt. I just dont get it. Isnt that supposed to be the strength of the joint venture? Campbelltown??? Im amazed at this. It seems as though its not enough to alienate supporters by merging you have to run insult into injury and play games 80km away from the majority of the prospective supporter base. Im astonished.

What is wrong with Campbelltown?

It is a toilet.

Hanscholo

Bench
EAS used to be a toilet too, but because its in Newcastle people showed up. Moving the games to Gosford for better facilities would have been a dumb move, just like this one. If you cant play in the west, f**k off out of sydney alltogether and let someone else have that spot, clearly its going to waste.

Loudstrat

Coach
well my place is about 20mins walk from nth sydney station so then i have to train it to the city and then get on another train to carlton and those trains do not come very regularly at all. so since then.

of course my walk to the sfs isn't motivated by fitness. where did i say "i walk to the sfs because i'm fit?" you're an idiot. if you could read you would say my point was if you complain about a 30min walk or can't do it you clearly aren't fit.

where did i say it took 20mins to walk from the station to anz??? i was referring to some people saying it took 15 mins, 20mins, half hour etc from central to sfs. once again, you're talking rubbish.

What is wrong with Campbelltown? Are we just leaving it for the AFL? The NRL need to tell the tigers to get their arses out and develop their area not f**king around in the east playing games.

So Campbelltown will get as many NRL games as Perth. :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24491486-5003409,00.html

Tommy Raudonikis angry over Wests Tigers' move to SFS

By Dean Ritchie | October 13, 2008 11:00pm

WESTERN Suburbs legend Tommy Raudonikis has hit out at the Wests Tigers' decision to play half their home games in Sydney's east, declaring last night: "We've gone from long necks of KB to bloody lattes."

The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealed Wests Tigers had walked away from ANZ Stadium at Homebush - choosing instead to play six home games at the Sydney Football Stadium next season, with three each at Campbelltown Stadium and Leichhardt Oval.

"Dallas Donnelly (former Wests prop) would turn in his grave - the fans used to drink long necks of KB on the Lidcombe Oval hill and now they will have to sit in 'silvertail' land sipping lattes," said Raudonikis.

A majority of Wests Tigers fans on The Daily Telegraph website agreed with Raudonikis yesterday, some claiming the club should change its name to the "Bondi or Sydney Tigers". Sixty per cent of 1200 respondents to a Daily Telegraph poll said the decision to play in the eastern suburbs was "ridiculous". Forty per cent said "anywhere is better than Homebush".

Raudonikis, who played for Wests at Lidcombe and coached the club when it shifted further west to Campbelltown, called for the Tigers to play six matches each at suburban Campbelltown and Leichhardt.

"They (the NRL and Wests Tigers) have got to start looking after the battler," Raudonikis stormed.

"They should be playing these home games in the suburbs. Homebush wasn't a rugby league stadium so they shouldn't play there either.

"It will be hard for the fans in the western suburbs to get to the SFS."

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said dozens of fans had contacted the club's offices in Concord yesterday - and he claimed most were supportive of the move.

"The response has been very positive - the players and coaching staff are also right behind the shift," Noyce said.

A Daily Telegraph investigation yesterday showed a trip from Minto to Central will take 55 minutes at weekends, provided the trains are on time. Then Wests fans will be forced to either catch a bus or walk an uphill slog to the SFS.

Mark, of Campbelltown, wrote on The Daily Telegraph website: "Wests Tigers management have sold out their supporter base in Campbelltown by offering us a token three games per season. If they won't support us, I won't support them."

But fellow Tigers fan Peter Ockers, of Campbelltown, said: "It won't bother me. It's not that much further from Leichhardt. The SFS has a much better atmosphere than Homebush, you are much closer to the action."

bartman

Immortal
Talking about renovating stadiums - and problems getting to them -

Redevelop Lidcome to a 25k all seater. Problem solved.
Yep, it's in a good location and not too far from a train stration.

And that would give Wests 3 traditional/suburban grounds in their terrotories to play in, 4 home games each.

And even the Bulldogs could maybe get in on the Lidcombe act, and that way we'd have games played in grounds that are over half full instead of that ANZ ghost town for a change.

Step 1: Out of Telstra/ANZ concrete jungle and into a real football stadium.

Step 2 : 3 grounds is less than 5.

Your right its not one step in the right direction - its two. :lol:

What part of "Talk bollocks somewhere else" are you struggling with mate?

It's a retrograde move that will do nothing more than thin our fanbase. There is a good percentage of our fans who just simply won't go to the SFS for a H&A game.

And it's hardly going to get anyone else excited is it?

Christ, the people of the Eastern Suburbs don't go and see Easts play, why would they go to see Wests play?

Latest posts