What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers shift east

google maps it. Its about 1.6 km from eddy ave to the front gate. If you can't walk it in 15-20 mins you're kidding yourself

You walk at 4-5 kph normally, on the flat with no interruptions you'd struggle to do it in 15 minutes without breaking into a trot at sometime.

You do the math chump.

Nor have westie or I given our opinions. We've both made statements of fact.

Get it right moron.

And now it turns out it's 1.6kms, not 1.8kms. Making sh*t up, again.

:lol:

It's 100 metres to the front of the stadium, the closest point. Is that where you sit to watch a game you terminal wally?

And please, buy a watch you thick f**k, you cannot physically walk it in 15 minutes unless there is A) no interruptions whatsover via lights, crossings, those car thingys etc and B)you walk at a pace that would be considered average in an Olympic walking event.

So you are not a season ticket holder or you are and just dont go to Leichhardt ?

No, I don't go to Leichhardt and I don't have a season ticket. On the weekends where Wests play away or at Leichhardt, I try to get to another NRL game at Parra, Penrith or ANZ.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
:lol:

It's 100 metres to the front of the stadium, the closest point. Is that where you sit to watch a game you terminal wally?
So according to you, using the whole "from train to your seat at ANZ" argument is stupid (which it is) yet you're doing a similar thing here, when it suits your agenda. Good one. :lol:

Mr Manly

Juniors
wow can see this being a failure for the tigs - i do have a soft spot for them and would like them to get it right - cant see splitting your games to 3 venues doing any good....time will tell

Perth Red

Post Whore
Face facts, they can't afford to play at the suburban grounds full time. everyone was moaning about ANZ, now one or two are moaning about the SFS. Given your latent support Everlovin I'm not sure they will miss you not turning up at SFS!

thug jimmy

Juniors
wow can see this being a failure for the tigs - i do have a soft spot for them and would like them to get it right - cant see splitting your games to 3 venues doing any good....time will tell
we were already doing it with ANZ so its no change.
i thinks its the best decision for the clubs long term future. we have a chance to secure an even larger fanbase - we are now appealing to the northern beaches/north shore/east/south and most of all west.
people stuck in the past and living in the 70's will hate the move, but if we are to ever get back to a fulltime split between LO and CS, its the best thing we could have done.
i mean no one likes ANZ - so this move should looked upon as a good thing. its like going to leichardt games. so what about the crowd and hassles, the atmosphere the ground creates is worth it. just like the 'not having to play again at homebush' is worth it.

imo, any club playing fulltime at ANZ will struggle to go close to winning a premiership. the affect it must mentally have on the players running out to play infront of that would be a big factor. it'd be depressing.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Apart from Manly why can't the NRL merge all the Sydney clubs into 2 teams with one team at ANZ and the other at SFS.

gregstar

Referee
forum genius said:
Apart from Manly why can't the NRL merge all the Sydney clubs into 2 teams with one team at ANZ and the other at SFS.

don't get above your level numbnuts.

unless this thread turns into a discussion about molesting jam tins or avoiding hygiene requirements, you're out of your depth.

put down that marmalade jar & have a bath you worthless smudge of fecal matter.

Teddyboy

First Grade
don't get above your level numbnuts.

unless this thread turns into a discussion about molesting jam tins or avoiding hygiene requirements, you're out of your depth.

put down that marmalade jar & have a bath you worthless smudge of fecal matter.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Love it.

Red Bear

Referee
The walk from central to SFS is fine, 20 minutes maybe, not bad at all, nice place to walk through, good pubs along the way if that is what you fancy.

In fact with most grounds a bit of a stroll to the ground is fine. Always used to park a bit away from North Sydney and walk up there along the streets there, parked on lilyfield road i think this year and had a nice 10 minute walk to Leichhardt.
People are seemingly very precious/lazy when it comes to walking to a footy game.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yep. Wonderful walking around Surry Hills late on a Friday night with kids, then braving a train back out west.

Nice to know the sudden burst of fitness fanaticism people suddenly have. How many of you park 20 mins away from the movies, or from work, instead of using the car park next door?

The SFS is not a good venue for a suburban team (Chooks aside), and if you want proof, ask Saints and Souths about the wonderful crowds at the SFS when they were there.

Do you remember Oasis? In short, the Bulldogs would have had a 35k state of the art stadium ideally located in Liverpool partly funded by the government and significantly funded by Maq Bank. If you actually bothered to read my postings instead of twisting your knickers, you'll know I think that we should have made a move like this a long time ago.

Obviously the current climate will make any such private investment a lot more difficult, but this is a long term project. Doing nothing is stupidity. Wasting yet another 20mil that no one will even notice is beyond my comprehension.

Proposing to stay at Leichhardt is just as stupid as proposing to go back to Lidcombe. Both are decrepid and below standard as top-flight sporting venues. Campbelltown is little better, despite it's more convenient ease of access. I think there is a place in RL for such grounds, but not in a successful NRL. We will never be a big club playing out of a loss-making suburban park.

Liverpool is far from "down the road", making me think you have little or no comprehension of what I'm actually suggesting. In my opinion, it's the perfect compromise in a difficult situation between the Macarthur and the locations of our many scattered fans due to its location and transport links.

More to the point, if we do commit to an area such as this, then we will have a genuine home ground we can call our own, top-class facilities and affordable memberships.

Penrith and Parra continue to fail because of inadequate management. Appointment of incompetent coaching staff has seen to this. Under decent coaches they both made GFs and attracted enormous support. At least they have homes to pack out when winning, despite being unable to maintain any sort of form or promote the clubs in any positive way.

I agree with the difficulties of developing a long-term committed supporter base from the local area. I don't believe it's an issue that could harm us if we didn't succede in the medium term (after an initial boom), because our scattered supporter base will support us anywhere accessible... as they do now.

The benefit of developing local support, in combination with our general supporters is that we will become a much larger club, capable of filling a medium sized venue. The population area we would target, along with bandwagon support would mean we'd need only a fraction of people to get along.

But we'll just keep playing out of local parks and whinging when we have to go to areas outside our heartland.

Ideally, every team should play out of one ground, but as a JV, the Wests Tigers are obligated to represent both areas. This naturally involves playing home games at LO and CS.

Your suggestion to relocate the Tigers to Liverpool would be tantamount to reinstating the Magpies. Why would the Balmain club, and its' former supporters endorse a move to diminish their presence within the JV to nothing apart from the emblem? You are taking the majority of fans for idiots if you think that you could hoodwink us into supporting a resurgent Wests Magpies that shuns the BALMAIN heritage entirely. I would expect former Magpies supporters to feel exactly the same if the opposite were proposed.

The Tigers fans are geographically dispersed and one of the advantages of having multiple home grounds is that more fans have an opportunity to attend a home game. In part, this has contributed to WT leading the home crowd averages in Sydney for 4 consecutive years. However, limiting the club to one home crowd would undoubtedly restrict the support base and it is arguable whether the arrival of new local fans could compensate for the exodus of old fans.

BTW you're right to point out that when Penrith were winning they managed to fill CUA. I distinctly remember the Wests Tigers achieving the same with CS and LO. However, as I asked before, what has happened out Penrith way each time that performances started to wane? You would need sustained success over a very long period to ensure proper local engagement with the team.

Westie, your idea has some merit although only if applied to an entirely new entity rather than a JV of two illustrious clubs with supporters that will always associate their team with the local area. If this is your vision, you ought to campaign for Wests Magpies to be reinstated to the NRL, rather than wishing to corrupt a merger that purports to represent the Inner West and South West areas.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yep. Wonderful walking around Surry Hills late on a Friday night with kids, then braving a train back out west.

Nice to know the sudden burst of fitness fanaticism people suddenly have. How many of you park 20 mins away from the movies, or from work, instead of using the car park next door?

The SFS is not a good venue for a suburban team (Chooks aside), and if you want proof, askSaints and Southsabout the wonderful crowds at the SFS when they were there.

Do you get a nice close free parking spot at the footy every time do you? Anytime I go to Parra we park over near the jail...
A lot of people catch a train to work...
And the car park is a ripoff.

Do you get a nice close free parking spot at the footy every time do you? Anytime I go to Parra we park over near the jail...
A lot of people catch a train to work...
And the car park is a ripoff.

I find myself parking 10-15mins away from every venue I attend. You save up to 20 bucks and avoid waiting in a queue to leave the carpark at the end of the game. I don't know why some here are so adverse to the idea of walking.