What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you eating right now?

The last decent clap of thunder happened about 10 minutes before i went to bed so didn't hear anything after that but i was almost fast asleep as my head hit the pillow. Yes what it is with drivers in bad weather, its like the rule book is thrown out the window and certainly most people don't drive to the conditions.

Hmmm yes Coles and Woolies, the two big evil empires. Our local area never had a Coles even close by until they put one in when they extended the Marrickville Metro centre just over 18 months ago, People seemed to stick to Woolies for the first six months after the extensions were opened and Coles was like a ghost town but the Coles is now doing great business , i split my shops between Woolies and Coles because there are certain thing i can get at Woolies and not at Coles and vice versa, i find i am shopping at Coles a bit more now though as it gets me away from the side of the centre i work at and also i get a discount, like you i never buy deli stuff from either supermarket unless its some ham for lunch sandwiches, usually for deli stuff i pop up to Lamia in Marrickville, i love their taramasalata and their range of olives, or get stuff from the local growers markets, quite often pop over to Orange Grove markets near Leichhardt Oval on a Saturday when i'm not working.
Our centre also has an Aldi, i sometimes go in for a look as they sometimes stock a brand of sauerkraut i like but i shake my head as i cannot work out how someone could do a weekly shop there, there is a real lack of variety there.
Yeah, where the stars don’t align you have to do coles and Woolies as they have the different discounts in the favourites.

Aldi is ok.

We have the Costco thing as well. That’s for entertainment every now and again.

Specials like 30,000 chicken kebabs things for $50 but they expire in 2 days.

So I was thinking @blue bags that you’d have to walk around the neighbourhood stuffing them into peoples mouths as they opened their doors to get rid of them.

The balance to Woofy and the Samoan dogs who live next door.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, where the stars don’t align you have to do coles and Woolies as they have the different discounts in the favourites.

Aldi is ok.

We have the Costco thing as well. That’s for entertainment every now and again.

Specials like 30,000 chicken kebabs things for $50 but they expire in 2 days.

So I was thinking @blue bags that you’d have to walk around the neighbourhood stuffing them into peoples mouths as they opened their doors to get rid of them.

The balance to Woofy and the Samoan dogs who live next door.

Was going to pick up some camel burgers which Coles had reduced today after work, have had them before and they are quite nice.

Doing some lamb steaks and beef and ale sausage on the BBQ tonight with zucchini , mushrooms, potatoes, tomato and onions.

Was going to pick up some camel burgers which Coles had reduced today after work, have had them before and they are quite nice.

Doing some lamb steaks and beef and ale sausage on the BBQ tonight with zucchini , mushrooms, potatoes, tomato and onions.
Sounds like tonight will be a meal to die for.

I would insist on a small Greek yogurt mix with it, unless the suggestion offends.

We are slumming it tonight with RSL style giant chicken schnitzels then your choice of either chips and salad or cheese pasta.

But not both.

We don’t hate drinkers but no one here drinks, so we just never buy grog.

But you can wash the meal down with 100% Orange Juice, Pepsi, Creaming Soda or from our selection of fine Australian made cordials.

There is last weekends Orange cordial in translucent 2 litre sealed jug that has aged very well. One of the kids just made it right. That beautiful balance, not too sweet and not too watery. I can never get it to that optimum equilibrium first go and then have to defile it with adding and subtractions. Years of practice with no result.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Sounds like tonight will be a meal to die for.

We are slumming it tonight with RSL style giant chicken schnitzels then your choice of either chips and salad or cheese pasta. But not both.

We don’t hate drinkers but no one here drinks, so you can wash the meal down with 100% Orange Juice, Pepsi, Creaming Soda or from our selection of cordials.

There is last weekends Orange cordial in translucent 2 litre sealed jug that has aged very well. One of the kids just made it right. That beautiful balance, not too sweet and not too watery.

Sounds like the old No Names special , schnitzel and pasta and all washed down with cordial, miss the old Stanley st venue.

Just done the potatoes on the BBQ and yum, so crisp, will do the other stuff a bit later, just washing it down with a Cinzano and soda, now that is as retro as No Names.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Very impressive.

Youve put together what I would describe as a “ just and righteous variety” without the meal losing its way.

Fantastic!

I am finding i really love a BBQ these days with at least 75% vegetable component and the meat playing a secondary role, i put some rosemary off the balcony under the lamb steaks which has really given a nice scent out on the balcony. Do have some lettuce to go with the dinner too and some sorrel which i just plucked off the balcony. Going to be a few snags left over for lunch tomorrow, don't mind a good sausage sandwich.

I am finding i really love a BBQ these days with at least 75% vegetable component and the meat playing a secondary role, i put some rosemary off the balcony under the lamb steaks which has really given a nice scent out on the balcony. Do have some lettuce to go with the dinner too and some sorrel which i just plucked off the balcony. Going to be a few snags left over for lunch tomorrow, don't mind a good sausage sandwich.
Yes, my dad would be reclaiming them for an English styled continental breakfast with Worcestershire sauce.

He would have approved your meal but as he got older, was taken by Asian.

Hmmmm now talking about an English style breakfast i will have to have one soon with black pudding, one thing i loved as a kid and have rarely had it since.
Dad was hard core pom. Lambs fry and Hp sauce.

Brain and ox tongue, no worries.

Lived nearer to you than I do ( I’m out the Penrith way)…but in Newtown.

Moving to Australia, compared to the uk, he said it was paradise here. Loved the country, liked the indigenous stuff. Fascinated by the whole show. Really liked the Vietnamese for some unknown reason. I should have asked him…

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Dad was hard core pom. Lambs fry and Hp sauce.

Brain and ox tongue, no worries.

Lived nearer to you than I do ( I’m the Penrith way)…but in Newtown.

Moving to Australia, compared to the uk, he said it was paradise here.

I grew up in Paddington for the first 7 or so years of my life, only metres from the old Sports Ground, my father used to get lots of free small goods from Anderson's which was up on Oxford St opposite the barracks at the time, i remember the black pudding fondly. My mother would often have lamb fry for breakfast, can't say i really had it much when i was young but i do remember it and did have a taste a few times, can't say i loved it but can't say i hated it either.

Hayden's pies at Ulladulla sometimes do a lambs fry and bacon pie and it its on the menu i will order it, bloody good and it does bring back some nostalgic memories but in a more modern way.

Last edited:
I grew up in Paddington for the first 7 or so years of my life, only metres from the old Sports Ground, my father used to get lots of free small goods from Anderson's which was up on Oxford St opposite the barracks at the time, i remember the black pudding fondly. My mother would often have lamb fry for breakfast, can't say i really had it much when i was young but i do remember it and did have a taste a few times, can't say i loved it but can't say i hated it either.

Hayden's pies at Ulladulla sometimes do a lambs fry and bacon pie and it its on the menu i will order it, bloody good and it does bring back from nostalgic memories but in a more modern way.
Wonderful life experience growing up in paddo before everything went beserk. Beautiful memories I imagine.

I think you are still out east somewhere. Nice and central. Out here, everything is changing.

There’s massive plans for the west. The airport is going to change everything.

As kids we tucked into the fry, unique taste. I should give it a go again.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Wonderful life experience growing up in paddo before everything went beserk. Beautiful memories I imagine.

I think you are still out east somewhere. Nice and central. Out here, everything is changing.

There’s massive plans for the west. The airport is going to change everything.

As kids we tucked into the fry, unique taste. I should give it a go again.
We moved out of Paddington on New Years Eve 1970 to Kingsford, Kingsford was a real shock , it actually had grass on the foot paths :eek:. I moved out of the family home at Kingsford in 1982 but honestly i was speaking to my older sister the other day we both said we both feel more connection to growing up in Paddington and no connection to Kingsford. As after moving out of the family home in Kingsford i lived and rented at Coogee, Lavender Bay, Kirribilli, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, Stanmore, Marrickville and then back to Surry Hills and then to Yurong St East Sydney then after finally settling down an owning property in St Peters where i have been for about the last 26 years.

We moved out of Paddington on New Years Eve 1970 to Kingsford, Kingsford was a real shock , it actually had grass on the foot paths :eek:. I moved out of the family home at Kingsford in 1982 but honestly i was speaking to my older sister the other day we both said we both feel more connection to growing up in Paddington and no connection to Kingsford. As after moving out of the family home in Kingsford i lived and rented at Coogee, Lavender Bay, Kirribilli, Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, Stanmore, Marrickville and then back to Surry Hills and then to Yurong St East Sydney then after finally settling down an owning property in St Peters where i have been for about the last 26 years.
Thats a tight circle.

But growing up in Paddo in the 1960s, that would be special. Aunty brought in there in the 1970s, moved a bit, but now lives in part of a hotel she bought and renovated in Ultimo. Beautiful views.

You’d like her Horrie because once she got on her feet, she’s spent retirement in urban activism saving inner city parks, preserving heritage and honouring history.

St Peters has its own character. I like it a lot. My mum found my sisters stolen car there by chance once…so we stole it back. She had three HD holdens. The cars live together on a farm now in Jindabyne. Future barn find. They must be worth something now. I’ll make enquiries.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Thats a tight circle.

But growing up in Paddo in the 1960s, that would be special. Aunty brought in there in the 1970s, moved a bit, but now lives in part of a hotel she bought and renovated in Ultimo. Beautiful views.

You’d like her Horrie because once she got on her feet, she’s spent retirement in urban activism saving inner city parks, preserving heritage and honouring history.

St Peters has its own character. I like it a lot. My mum found my sisters stolen car there by chance once…so we stole it back. She had three HD holdens. The cars live together on a farm now in Jindabyne. Future barn find. They must be worth something now. I’ll make enquiries.

Yes it sounds like would like your aunty, any one who preserves precious history and heritage is a winner in my view and the inner city of Sydney, had and has so much worth preserving.

Growing in Paddington back in the 60's was special, we would play out on the street till dark, would hear the roar of the cars from the speedway at the Showground, hear the siren and the crowd from games at the Sports Ground and the SCG, that is when we weren't already at the game.

Was at Bondi Beach on Monday, a place i don't spend a lot of time at but when living at Paddington that was the beach we used to go to, would head up the hill and catch the 380 or 381 bus from near the Town hall to the beach.
While waiting for a bus to get back to Bondi Junction last Monday after lunch i pointed out to the better half about a shop across the road where i remember while being at the beach a storm came up with lightning so my mother and her sister, me and my sister quickly sheltered there while the storm past and my mothers sister bought me and my sister a chocolate paddle pop each, the storm only lasted about 10 minutes and was gone and then we went back to the beach, not sure why that memory sticks in my head but it is one i often remember even when i'm no where near Bondi.

Last edited:
Dee Why as promised..
67B1106C-757E-4F4E-AA3D-995D9DDFBB5B.jpegA bit muggy but ideal for swimming this evening.

Important to swim between the flags.

The poor man got killed at Cronulla today. It’s very easy to drown in the surf.

Eating out tonight, but they don’t make their own adult desserts Horrie. But everything else is great.

A9529CA1-C7EC-42C6-BA53-23BC4B70A046.jpeg

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Dee Why as promised..
View attachment 69864A bit muggy but ideal for swimming this evening.

Important to swim between the flags.

The poor man got killed at Cronulla today. It’s very easy to drown in the surf.

Eating out tonight, but they don’t make their own adult desserts Horrie. But everything else is great.

View attachment 69865

Had an impressive seafood lunch yesterday at Lifeboat seafood at Brooklyn, gathered with some friends to continue my birthday celebrations, had some beautiful prawn cutlets, calamari, oysters and salad for entree then everyone had different fish for the mains, i ended up having blackfish battered which was beautiful with chips and salad, others had grilled blackfish or whiting and the least adventurous person in the group had flake. They do their own chips there which are geouous but talking to the owner he is having trouble sourcing potatoes.
Stayed at Wobby Beach just opposite Brooklyn at some of the friends place overnight and will probably stay another night, so hot in the afternoon so we had a dip in the river off their jetty, was so was full after lunch so just had a toasted sandwich for dinner and trifle which was made for my birthday. Will post the trifle pics once I get home.

Last edited:

Latest posts