What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favourite rugby league images ?

horrie hastings

First Grade
balmain.jpg

I take it this is from the 1969 Grand Final ? i was a wee lad living just around the corner, right near the old Sports Ground and i remember the Tiger paw prints being painted along the foot path of Driver Ave.

Generalzod

Immortal
I take it this is from the 1969 Grand Final ? i was a wee lad living just around the corner, right near the old Sports Ground and i remember the Tiger paw prints being painted along the foot path of Driver Ave.
My god father used to live Paddington end where the SFS was, in the 60sand 70s..They moved back to Greece cause he was a merchant Captain...

horrie hastings

First Grade
My god father used to live Paddington end where the SFS was, in the 60sand 70s..They moved back to Greece cause he was a merchant Captain...

I loved growing up there, even though it was considered a bit of a slum back them, I remember when we moved out, it was New Years Eve 1970. If only my father had held onto that property for a bit longer :rolleyes:

Generalzod

Immortal
I loved growing up there, even though it was considered a bit of a slum back them, I remember when we moved out, it was New Years Eve 1970. If only my father had held onto that property for a bit longer :rolleyes:
Funny enough I went to see my god mother and basically told her you should have kept the property Paddington is worth a mint now.

Last edited:

A mate of mine’s grandparents lived on the harbour foreshore up until the war. The midget sub attack convinced them to sell up and move far out to Carlingford. Hindsight and all that.

horrie hastings

First Grade
A mate of mine’s grandparents lived on the harbour foreshore up until the war. The midget sub attack convinced them to sell up and move far out to Carlingford. Hindsight and all that.

Its funny, a friend of mine inherited a water front unit at Cremorne from her uncle , the uncle got the unit cheap because of the exact same reason, properties were cheap because no one wanted to live on the harbour because of the war and the midget sub attack.

blue bags

First Grade
1009770_0002_rex_mossop_resized.jpg

The set of The Rugby League Show, with Rex ‘Moose’ Mossop as the host, Mick Maher to his right and Bruce ‘Lapa’ Stewart on his left. Along with the famous ‘Controversy Corner’ segment, a feature of The Rugby League Show was the passing competition sponsored by the Commonwealth Bank. The bank’s elephant logo formed the bullseye of the target; if you managed to pass the ball successfully through the bullseye you scored 10 points and triggered the sound of an elephant trumpeting. The highest point scorer was awarded a range of gifts including a Pelaco shirt, a Meapro ham and Patra fresh orange juice.

Mossop was an Australian rugby union and rugby league player, representing Australia in both codes. He was an uncompromising forward for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles throughout the 1950s and an Australian television personality from 1964 until 1991.

Stewart was a respected Indigenous elder and mentor in the La Perouse community, Sydney, and a driving force for the La Perouse Panthers club. A flying winger, Stewart played for Eastern Suburbs Roosters in 1967 scoring 10 tries from 24 games.

Maher played in the centres and on the wing and proved to be a very capable fullback, a position he held for several seasons. He played 125 first grade games for the North Sydney Bears.

This photo is a straightforward documentation of the three individuals on set, possibly for publicity purposes, although none of them are posing for the camera. It was probably taken during the actual live broadcast of the show. This was an era in which players were less media savvy than today and you can see that in the awkwardness of their postures. The studio-made target behind them adds to the unsophisticated scene.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/rugby-league

Latest posts