What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What disgusting refereeing we are coping this season

southsport

First Grade
Yeah Maxwell sure seems to have it in for Souths for some reason, it started last year but it's much worse this year, not sure what the reason is. What was the penalty count, anyone?

Snappy

Coach
perhaps if your team stopped giving away penalties, the penalty count may be more even. Just a thought.

Pommy

Coach
I don't think you can say the ref influenced the result even if there were some bad calls. We were well below the Broncos standard and were rightly beaten. Just suck it up your making yourself look daft.

souths_pride

Juniors
I don't think you can say the ref influenced the result even if there were some bad calls. We were well below the Broncos standard and were rightly beaten. Just suck it up your making yourself look daft.
The thing is that a lot of the Broncos tries came off the back of those penalties, which weren't penalties. In saying that, I still believe we would have lost if it were not for those bad calls because we dropped far too much ball and put pressure on ourselves. What I would say though is that if those calls went the right way, then I think the score might have ended something like 18-14 or around that mark.

Pommy

Coach
The thing is that a lot of the Broncos tries came off the back of those penalties, which weren't penalties. In saying that, I still believe we would have lost if it were not for those bad calls because we dropped far too much ball and put pressure on ourselves. What I would say though is that if those calls went the right way, then I think the score might have ended something like 18-14 or around that mark.

Possibly but kicking up a huge shit storm is just making himself look daft. Just look at the lol & Souths thread. We were beaten by a better side, sure some decisions may have made a difference. IMHO their first try should have stood Reynolds wasn't going to make an impact but for consistency they ruled no try.
Overall from last night I'm just glad the side showed up as recently they just haven't bothered.
Tigers on Thursday night and hopefully we can build on the second half performance.

souths_pride

Juniors
Possibly but kicking up a huge shit storm is just making himself look daft. Just look at the lol & Souths thread. We were beaten by a better side, sure some decisions may have made a difference. IMHO their first try should have stood Reynolds wasn't going to make an impact but for consistency they ruled no try.
Overall from last night I'm just glad the side showed up as recently they just haven't bothered.
Tigers on Thursday night and hopefully we can build on the second half performance.
I've got no doubt that we were beaten by a better side. Like I said, even if the calls went our way we still would have lost; it just would have been by a narrower margin. I actually thought the first try was the correct decision. One thing I will applaud the referees for in that regard is their consistency; they have been harsh all season in penalising decoy runners who make contact with an opposition defender, regardless of whether he had a role in preventing the try or not. Basically it is up to the decoy runner to go through the line and not make contact. You could see from Thaiday's reaction that he knew that he was in trouble and Corey Parker even confirmed it was no try in the post-match press conference.

I agree that we showed up, which was really pleasing but we need build on the performance. Next week is pretty much a must win game for us; if we can't beat the Tigers then we can't beat anyone. On a different note, did anyone see the Adam Reynolds touching the ref incident? Does he have a case to answer?

TheFrog

Coach
why should he mckendry got 1 week so should reynolds
Depends if he has priors (pretty sure he has) and/or carry over points.

I've got no doubt that we were beaten by a better side. Like I said, even if the calls went our way we still would have lost;

Brisbane weren't that good. If your Rabbitohs had not coughed up so much ball you could have beaten them. Inglis was a bit better than recent efforts but he had to play like it was Origin, and he didn't.

I am convinced the Broncos will be beaten by any team that stands up to them, moves the ball around a bit without dropping it and gets a fair go from the refs. Their backline is outstanding, their halves are very good but their pack is average.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I've got no doubt that we were beaten by a better side. Like I said, even if the calls went our way we still would have lost; it just would have been by a narrower margin. I actually thought the first try was the correct decision. One thing I will applaud the referees for in that regard is their consistency; they have been harsh all season in penalising decoy runners who make contact with an opposition defender, regardless of whether he had a role in preventing the try or not. Basically it is up to the decoy runner to go through the line and not make contact. You could see from Thaiday's reaction that he knew that he was in trouble and Corey Parker even confirmed it was no try in the post-match press conference.

I agree that we showed up, which was really pleasing but we need build on the performance. Next week is pretty much a must win game for us; if we can't beat the Tigers then we can't beat anyone. On a different note, did anyone see the Adam Reynolds touching the ref incident? Does he have a case to answer?

He shouldn't but he will. I don't know which is worse the NRL policy on it or the fact the players are so f**king stupid that they keep on doing it.

souths_pride

Juniors
He shouldn't but he will. I don't know which is worse the NRL policy on it or the fact the players are so f**king stupid that they keep on doing it.
Its funny, I don't remember too many 'touching the ref' incident before this season. All of a sudden this year it has become something of an epidemic!
Depends if he has priors (pretty sure he has) and/or carry over points.

Brisbane weren't that good. If your Rabbitohs had not coughed up so much ball you could have beaten them. Inglis was a bit better than recent efforts but he had to play like it was Origin, and he didn't.

I am convinced the Broncos will be beaten by any team that stands up to them, moves the ball around a bit without dropping it and gets a fair go from the refs. Their backline is outstanding, their halves are very good but their pack is average.
Is touching the referee a separate charge on its own or is it contrary conduct? I don't think he has too much to worry about if there was nothing in it because Klemmer got off. As for Brisbane, I tend to agree with you in the regard that they are not the most talented team in the comp. I've said this all week, but to beat Brisbane you don't need to play expansive, flashy football as much as you need to be disciplined, keep a hold of the ball and be patient. You basically have to with them set for set and keep your penalties down; we didn't do either of those things. You could see when we held onto the ball and were able to maintain pressure in the second half, that the Broncos were starting to look shaky.

I've also found it funny that they have been made favourites this season. If you'd ask me who I'd rather play: Broncos or Cowboys - I'd pick the Broncos everyday of the week. The Cowboys are a team that can rip you to shreds with individual brilliance and leave you scratching your head over what to do to prevent the onslaught while the Broncos are more team that grinds you down and frustrates you.

TheFrog

Coach
perhaps if your team stopped giving away penalties, the penalty count may be more even. Just a thought.

Penalties were 9-8 in this game. But they were 5-2 in the first half, including one from a bunker referral (ie not at the discretion of the ref). At least 2 of these came when the Broncos were trying to ruck it out from their line under pressure.

The Rabbitohs themselves compounded the problem by continually coughing up ball. This continued throughout the game and hence they really didn't deserve to win the game.

Nonetheless we're seeing this blowout of the penalties and other 50/50 calls in favour of the Broncos in the first half of every damn game, which results in opposition teams having to do mountains of tackling and not having the juice left in the tank to take advantage of the inevitable second half square-up.

Maybe it's a bit like the India cricket team in the World Cup. They have to make the playoffs or else the competition is a financial failure because they've got the most supporters.

souths_pride

Juniors
Penalties were 9-8 in this game. But they were 5-2 in the first half, including one from a bunker referral (ie not at the discretion of the ref). At least 2 of these came when the Broncos were trying to ruck it out from their line under pressure.

The Rabbitohs themselves compounded the problem by continually coughing up ball. This continued throughout the game and hence they really didn't deserve to win the game.

Nonetheless we're seeing this blowout of the penalties and other 50/50 calls in favour of the Broncos in the first half of every damn game, which results in opposition teams having to do mountains of tackling and not having the juice left in the tank to take advantage of the inevitable second half square-up.

Maybe it's a bit like the India cricket team in the World Cup. They have to make the playoffs or else the competition is a financial failure because they've got the most supporters.
Yeah, I think at one stage in the second half the penalty count was 7-2 or something. Maxwell then used the opportunity of Souths attacking the Brisbane goal line to blow a few "even up the count" penalties on the first tackle to cover up what was becoming a lop sided penalty count. Even in the last few minutes, Maxwell took the opportunity to blow a couple of penalties to Souths to ensure that the penalty count was 9-8 and that he subsequently couldn't be accused for favoring the Broncos.

Pommy

Coach
Its funny, I don't remember too many 'touching the ref' incident before this season. All of a sudden this year it has become something of an epidemic!

Is touching the referee a separate charge on its own or is it contrary conduct? I don't think he has too much to worry about if there was nothing in it because Klemmer got off. As for Brisbane, I tend to agree with you in the regard that they are not the most talented team in the comp. I've said this all week, but to beat Brisbane you don't need to play expansive, flashy football as much as you need to be disciplined, keep a hold of the ball and be patient. You basically have to with them set for set and keep your penalties down; we didn't do either of those things. You could see when we held onto the ball and were able to maintain pressure in the second half, that the Broncos were starting to look shaky.

I've also found it funny that they have been made favourites this season. If you'd ask me who I'd rather play: Broncos or Cowboys - I'd pick the Broncos everyday of the week. The Cowboys are a team that can rip you to shreds with individual brilliance and leave you scratching your head over what to do to prevent the onslaught while the Broncos are more team that grinds you down and frustrates you.

I think it's something they have decided they want to stomp out. It's a little over the top but the line is pretty clear for the players yet they still keep doing it. Reynolds is more than likely out anyway so it won't be an issue.

Maximus

Coach
So since souths fans are claiming the amount of penalties given means the refs are biased against you, does that mean you will all admit that the refs were biased to you in 2014?

Hauff

Juniors
Is that here any comment in here on the worst call of the night - the dog who deliberately tripped Milf and got away with it? Talk about bad calls........

Latest posts