What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we do when McKinnon returns?

Hi guys, I was just wondering about what everyone thinks the make-up of the team should be once McKinnon returns? He's obviously a top player, but I actually think Hohaia may be the more dangerous fullback right now and I'd put Lance up with Manu as our biggest attacking weapons.

I think we've got a number of options, though it's tough to say which will be the best. It's a pretty good problem to have though at least! :crazy:

My preference at the moment would actually be to keep Lance at 1, but that leaves a bit of a problem with where (if anywhere) McKinnon fits in. There might be an option to try him at 6 or centre, but I've no idea how Wade would go there. Though I know some people here were calling for him to play stand-off at one point.

The alternative way to start both of them would be Lance at 6 to combine with Stacey again and McKinnon at fullback. That mightn't be too bad either, since if Moon played centre he could still get involved to help with the long kicks.

What do you all think?

Martli

Coach
I reckon Hohaia might have to go into Centre or something eh. I'm not sure how versatile McKinnon is to be honest. Hohaia rules at fullback, but leaving out Wade McKinnon is just stupid, we need them both somewhere.

Yeah, I didn't mention the Hohaia to centre option since I don't like him there much but it's definitely a possibility. I think he's better in a position where he can rove around a bit more really. If he was going to go centre I'd much rather play him at 6 with Moon at centre. Moon can step in to help out with his long kicking game and Lance will be free to pop up all over the place in attack.

Rich102

Staff member
I really like Lance on the bench as a super sub. Bring him on when the big guys are getting tired. Can fill in for any injuries in the backline.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hohaia=fullback
McKinnon=Vulcans

Hohaia is only versatile in the sense that he can play a lot of positions poorly and fullback brilliantly.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hohaia=fullback
McKinnon=Vulcans

Hohaia is only versatile in the sense that he can play a lot of positions poorly and fullback brilliantly.

I've had quite enough of you. The next thing you are going to say is that Price is overrated.

Yes, Hohaia is a great attacking fullback. But he will never dislodge McKinnon at fullback. McKinnon is the complete package.

Hohaia will serve us well at either centre or impact sub. He has got to be in the side somewhere. Maybe he can actually bring Kemp into the attacking plays.

Hohaia is a great back up fullback, but McKinnon owns the Warriors' #1 jersey.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I've had quite enough of you. The next thing you are going to say is that Price is overrated.

Yes, Hohaia is a great attacking fullback. But he will never dislodge McKinnon at fullback. McKinnon is the complete package.

Hohaia will serve us well at either centre or impact sub. He has got to be in the side somewhere. Maybe he can actually bring Kemp into the attacking plays.

Hohaia is a great back up fullback, but McKinnon owns the Warriors' #1 jersey.

Oh please

McKinnon owned the number 1 in 2007 but Hohaia has owned it for most of the time since

Hohaia is a World Cup winning international fullback while McKinnon is unlikely to ever play ANY rep footy

It's high time we started to realise that, at the very least, Hohaia is in McKinnon's class as a fullback

ozbash

Referee
It's high time we started to realise that, at the very least, Hohaia is in McKinnon's class as a fullback

very well said manu, I really dont know where all this 'hoik love' comes from...

Lancey boy is the real deal, that other clown is an imposter..

Scott

Bench
Both need to be in the starting 13, simple as that.
But I suspect the coach will stick with the Mannering starting at centre thing before moving to the back row and bringing in AhVan/Hohaia to play right centre.

Perhaps with Lance at right centre, he may give a bit more of an opportunity for Kemp. Having said that, Lance gives Manu some awesome early ball.

We have some brilliant players, but the problem is getting them all on the field at the same time.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Maybe Henderson better watch his back. I don't think he has been playing badly, he does a lot of work. But the way Hohaia has been playing, it would be very harsh to bench him. And let's face it, McKinnon will not be repositioned.

Hohaia has been going great at fullback. But if there's an area of his game that needs improvement, it's his positioning on the field when the opposition team kicks. Someone touched on this before. McKinnon is very good at this, Hohaia not so much.

Iafeta

Referee
lol@NZW. Poor doogie.

Tough call, I thought Lance was brilliant... absolutely brilliant. Is he the most improved player in the NRL over the last 2 years? In about 2007, it was hard to support the guy hard out. Since 2008 though, when he's got a gig at fullback, he's gone from a bloke who's struggled to live up to the hype to a bloke who's got McKinnon under incredible pressure.

JoeD

First Grade
I think Lance is equally good a full back as Wade but isn't as good a hooker/centre/whatever position Lance is going to play. Therefore in order to have the strongest team possible Wade gets the fullback position.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hohaia is a World Cup winning international fullback while McKinnon is unlikely to ever play ANY rep footy

Jeez mate that is a weak argument right there

Wade has Gidley and Stewart in front of him for NSW then add Hunt and Slater for the Aust team.

What competition does Hohaia have? Brent Webb?

McKinnon is the best FB the Warriors have but leaving out Hohaia would be crazy. Put him at 6 and move Moon to the centres.