What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we need o do?

Perth Red

Post Whore
ok, news of the new commision and suggestions the NRL will definately expand by two teams come 2013 means has given me renewed hope that if we get the next 3 years right we will be back!

Given the very ltd $'s available to the WARL what do you think they need to be doing to make sure the WA reds HAVE to be let in come 2013?

for me:

1. Market the hell out of any NRL game played here and make sure it sells out, regardless of what it costs.
2. Make sure we have at least 2 NRL regular season games here in 2010&12
3. Get the game back on to Ch9 on a Sunday afternoon
4. Make sure the academy and SG ball side is succesful
5. Pull out all the stops to get the ARL to fund a Bundy cup team again for 2011&12
6. Change the focus away from the current Reds team to a Reds bid. Get people signed up to support the bid, rather than the team. Refresh the website to focus on the whole bid etc
7. Probably the hardest but start planning like we will be in! Like the Bears have done identify potential fiancial investors, sponsors, coaches, players etc. If they come off or not doesn't matter, what we need is to show that we are serious and we do have the ability to get everything in place.
8. Finally lets get a proper media campaign happening. A promotional video showing the benefits of Perth in the NRL, some ex Reds players talking up the bid, some current NRL players that have come from WA etc.

Finally we neeed all RL fans in WA to play there part and make this happen!

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah. I saw that the two probable expansion teams are Central Coast (fair enough) and a 2nd Brisbane team. I can understand them wanting to cash in on another Queensland team, but they haven't even been putting together a bid as far as I know for a 2nd Brissy team. A Central Qld team, yes, but 2nd Brisbane team? No.

From my perspective, there are 2 expansion slots to fill, and 3 candidates: Central Coast, WA, and Central Qld. One team will miss out. Unfortunately, given both the other bids are more in the RL community's eye, and are more advanced along as far as an actual bid is concerned (both have appointed CEO's, head coaches (I think), and potential players lined up), I fear WA will be the one to be left out.

I hope I'm wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Central Q'land doesn't make much sense though in terms of a population centre and stadium. I could understand a 2nd Brisbane team out of Suncorp but as said there isn;t a bid for that and doubt the Broncos would let it happen anyway.

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah. That's pretty much my thoughts! However, like I said, CQ is getting their name out there in RL circles moreso than the WA Reds are. Particularly now that the WA team is now an under18's team only. Whatever good game from the Reds being in the Jim Beam / Bundy Red Cup is (I think) possibly going to slowly dissipate as time goes on, which is unfortunately the opposite of where we should be heading.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
I fear WA will be the one to be left out.

I agree. I'm not confident that we'll win the 2nd franchise.

Central Coast is a certainty in my view. Though, our bid is weak in comparison. It's hard enough gaining respect from the Eastern Staters as is ... so we need a super-fantastic bid simply to catch their attention.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At this point in time I would still say we are 2nd faves. The biggest thing going against us is the belief that a Perth team would need additional NRL funding to survive where as a heartland team wouldn't. If we can overcome that fear then we would def be in I reckon. People look at all the money News has pumped into the Storm and see us as needing the same. Whilst we may need some support initially, especially to really market the team and improve the jnr talent to produce our own players I don't see us needing anything like what the Storm have had. I reckon in our first year we will get bigger crowds than the Storm get now after 12 years. As long as the NRL cover the travel costs of operations and maybe give us some seed funding then I don't see us being a huge drain on the game.

After that there can be no argument, we are the logical choice.

Nuke

Staff member
I don't believe we would need all the financial support Melbourne has received over their lifetime, so that would be a bonus. I say that because we already have a well-established state competition (3rd oldest in the country in fact) and WA born/bred players in the NRL and ESL. Sure, like all teams, a lot of players would have to be signed from other teams and places outside WA, but getting WA juniors into the team wouldn't be such a task as getting Victorian juniors into the Melbourne Storm. As far as I can recall, after 12 years, there is still yet to be a Victorian RL player in the Storm's First-Grade team (although I do believe there are a few in their Toyota Cup side, so they're not far away).

joondalup_giant

Staff member

Angry_eel

First Grade
I would ignore any expansion talk and any 'we asked the league and heard' bla bla bla. I think they're concentrating on the commission first. Once thats underway, I have no doubt we will expand. It makes no sense not to expand.

I actually hope Perth gets in along with Qld. Central Coast will be another Manly in my opinion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ha ha wish they'd make their minds up! I don't believe anything I read in the paper anyway so lets see when the commision is formed and make sure we keep working hard to be in the driving seat if and when it does happen.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
As long as the NRL cover the travel costs of operations and maybe give us some seed funding then I don't see us being a huge drain on the game.

I think that is going to be THE reason if a Perth side isnt admitted into the comp in 2013. the Current clubs need money now, and as much as possible, while in the long term Perth will improve it all dramatically, the short term could leave our clubs a little short of cash.

WA Roo

Juniors
We need to have a big shakeup at the warl and cut all the dead wood away. The reds are way behind all the other new teams bids so we need new people in to make way to the top.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
My hat is firmly in the corner of the Reds, and I think the Reds are a stronger chance then all bids except the Bears and possible Brisbane2 (if there is one). I cant see Central Qld being serious unless its based in the Sunshine coast and I havent seen anything from SEQ lately. Would love to see the Crushers back though.

It seems asthough that Perth has gone backwards since mid last year, everything looked good for them. I think what they should look at doing is setting up a meeting with Greg Florimo and have a look at their bid. It would benefit both bid teams if both bids were strong. As we keep hearing, the ARLC (ARL Commission) arent going to expand unless it brings in more money to the current clubs, if Florimo and the Reds team can come out together and promote why they both will add value to the NRL, then ultimately the ARLC cant refuse them.

It would be more benficial for the Bears to do this aswell as they already have more invested in the bid. It would be ironic if they got denied a licence because there were no strong rival bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that is going to be THE reason if a Perth side isnt admitted into the comp in 2013. the Current clubs need money now, and as much as possible, while in the long term Perth will improve it all dramatically, the short term could leave our clubs a little short of cash.

but we are tallking $2mill tops. That is only $125k a club so hardly going to make a big difference to individual clubs.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
but we are tallking $2mill tops. That is only $125k a club so hardly going to make a big difference to individual clubs.

Yes but the current clubs and the commisioners are going to ask if a Perth side will add to the short term value overall to the NRL then another side playing out of Suncorp?

And that $2million could be spent elsewhere, a club almost anywhere in Qld would be self sufficiant much sooner then a Perth side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But will it add new viewers, new corporate opportunities and new audiences? I'd suggest if you are a RL fan in Q'land you are already watching RL and doubt you will get new audiences if you put another team in. At least with Perth you are opening up a new market. Problem with askign if it is of any value is that with the current way the game is treat by TV you would argue no, same as Storm given they aren't on FTA in Vic. Until we get the game on FTA in these states you will always say they are worth less. EVERY pro sport in Australia has a team in Perth. For the NRL to suggest Perth adds no value seems contradictory to what EVERY other sport in the country thinks!

No arguments the NRL needs a second Brisbane team at some point but we also need to grow into new markets. CC and Brisbane are just expanding what we already have.

Titanic

First Grade
I think the issue of relocations has to be taken into consideration too.

Perth, Central Coast and a 2nd Brisbane are near certainties.

CQ is no chance no matter how hard they talk it up... in fact PNG is more likely than them and that's saying something.

So the verdict? Two new franchises (Perth, Brisbane) and two relocations (Central Coast Knights, South Pacific Sharks).

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
But will it add new viewers, new corporate opportunities and new audiences? I'd suggest if you are a RL fan in Q'land you are already watching RL and doubt you will get new audiences if you put another team in. At least with Perth you are opening up a new market. Problem with askign if it is of any value is that with the current way the game is treat by TV you would argue no, same as Storm given they aren't on FTA in Vic. Until we get the game on FTA in these states you will always say they are worth less. EVERY pro sport in Australia has a team in Perth. For the NRL to suggest Perth adds no value seems contradictory to what EVERY other sport in the country thinks!

No arguments the NRL needs a second Brisbane team at some point but we also need to grow into new markets. CC and Brisbane are just expanding what we already have.

Hopefully, hopefully the new team will open up a new audience, thats how the ARLC needs to spin and sell it to the TV networks, but its no sure thing. ALOT of potiential and almost a guarentee in the long run, but short term no guarentee.

CC and Qld4 are already watching the game yes, they are already watching 8 games a week. If they are entered into the competition, thats a guarentee that they will watch 9 games a week with strong ratings that we are currently getting and thats something that Perth cant confidently offer. And they also might not need propping up like Perth will, even if it is just $2million

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully, hopefully the new team will open up a new audience, thats how the ARLC needs to spin and sell it to the TV networks, but its no sure thing. ALOT of potiential and almost a guarentee in the long run, but short term no guarentee.

CC and Qld4 are already watching the game yes, they are already watching 8 games a week. If they are entered into the competition, thats a guarentee that they will watch 9 games a week with strong ratings that we are currently getting and thats something that Perth cant confidently offer. And they also might not need propping up like Perth will, even if it is just $2million

Thing is I don't see fewer people from NSW or Q'land tuning in to WA reds v St George than would for CC Bears v St George or Brisbane2 v St George. Melbourne have shown that Q'land and NSW viewers will tune in as much for when they play as when a NSW or Q'land team plays so getting Perth above Gosford isn't creating less viewers in NSW, it will be the same PLUS WA viewers hopefully.

The AFL know this and hence why they are investing so much in NSW and Q'land. They can see in 50 years time that they will have a sizeable viewing market in those states. Problem with RL is it is always looking to tommorow instead of next week, next month or next year. As I said a $150k cost to each club isnt going to make hardly any difference to there viability and opening up a WA market may add considerably to their marketability with their sponsors. For example Coffee Club sponsor Brisbane, there are heaps of Coffee Clubs in WA, it isn't hard to see that Brisbane could negotiate a better deal with that sponsor if they can show that there product is now being shown in a new area with a large market for their product.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Thing is I don't see fewer people from NSW or Q'land tuning in to WA reds v St George than would for CC Bears v St George or Brisbane2 v St George. Melbourne have shown that Q'land and NSW viewers will tune in as much for when they play as when a NSW or Q'land team plays so getting Perth above Gosford isn't creating less viewers in NSW, it will be the same PLUS WA viewers hopefully.

Oh I agree totally, its how the Swans and Lions have remained afloat. I remember a Souths vs Storm match a few years ago outrated a Wallabies test match.

But its this kind of spin that the ARLC will need to use to TV stations to get the deal moving, hopefully they will but I can see no-expansion group using the possible proping up of the Storm and Reds as an excuse not to expand.

It would be interesting if the ARLC would just ask the TV stations where they would like the new teams to be based. Where would they think would increase the value of the TV rights significantly.

Jast a passing thought, TV stations only bid on NRL rights to win the ratings battle on the east coast. That needs to change.