What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does it take to run an NRL Side

bazza

Immortal
So I think we have been all caught up recently in our own little world, and haven't been looking at what has been happening in the Rugby League world around us.

But Russel Crowe's video message to the Souths membership has got me thinking.

There was a time in the Late 1980's and early 1990's were Souths and Parramatta were not that dissimilar. Both had leagues club refits that took a great deal of money away from their NSWRL/ARL sides, both stayed ARL loyal during the war. But our club seemed to thrive and South's only pick up during the war, from memory was Tim Brassher, and they continued to stay where they were, before they were relegated from the competition.

A number of members on this board, have stated Parramatta's goal should be to be completely self sufficient as a football club. Meaning we completely survive on the playing of football, I have no problem with that what so ever. I like everyone on this board want to see Parramatta thrive into the future by what ever means is possible.

So some questions. We know the leagues club paid over all 6 million dollars for League operations this last year, we could say 2 million of that was for Football Club operations from the financial report and the information to come out of the PDJRL meeting.

That leaves us with a $4 million dollar hole for our NRL team to fill.

How do we fill it? If we look at what other clubs have done, how do we manage this issue.

Something I can say that the fans would like ruled out. We should not chase the money and Play all our games at ANZ stadium, even if it means cutting our hole by 50%.

Sponsorship is great and all, but I would hope we are only focused on increasing the value of our sponsorships and filling the current sponsorship places and not looking to sell every inch of space on the jersey or filling up as much air time during Parramatta Stadium home games. I for one could not stand if we turned into a Newcastle Circa 1999 where every tackle had a sponsor.

So we turn to membership. It was interesting to hear Russell Crowe speak about the need for 15,000 members, an increase of another 7,000 over their goal of 8,000 this year, and that currently they are at 5,7000 members for this year. The interesting part was when he said he needed that many members, and most of them being Season Ticket Holders. That is what got my attention.

15,000 Season Ticket Holders, The Average cost of a season ticket is $215 (just averaging out the 5 price structures). Meaning we would come close at $3,225,000.

That by the way EELS fans is 75% of Parramatta Stadium. People with season ticket would be sitting on 10 Metre lines.

Do you think Parramatta could achieve that?
Do you think Parramatta could maintain that?

I am interested in your thoughts.

Yes - you need a lot more people to turn up to matches if you want to make the football team independant from leagues club grants.
I think 15,000 season ticket holders is a target the club should be aiming for within the next 5 years - after all they do employ marketing and sales people don't they.

There are plenty of people that are Parramatta "fans" but rarely attend matches. It is up to the people paid to do marketing and sales to convert these "fans" to people that attend matches regularly or at least some sort of member that contributes financially to the club.

To do this they need to have some sort of incentive to get people to attend matches rather than just watch on TV. These people working at the club should be marketing professionals and so they should have some ideas - if not they need some new people employed. A simple thing might be to improve the service of food and drink so you don't have to wait over 15 minutes to get a beer and pie.

More people attending matches - even if at lower prices - and more members can have financial rewards in other ways. These include:
1. More people at the ground makes the atmosphere better and so encourages more people to go to matches rather than watch on TV. Going to a ground with 8,000 people in a 20,000 seater doesn't usually make you want to go back for more.
2. Sponsors are likely to pay more money when they know more people will be watching
3. Having details of members and season ticket holders in a database means you can then sell these people other products from the club such as clothing and fan days/functions

The club currently has the details of season ticket holders, blue and gold army members, football club members and leagues club members. They should also be able to collect details of people through the club web site.

I am a STH, football club and leagues club member - yet the only information I received is the annual report and leagues club magazine. How much would it cost to send out emails to people once a month to let them know what specials they have on merchandise or what time and date matches are that month.

parra pete

Referee
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
People will still watch games on FOX, rather than go to the hassle of travelling..
As Jack Gibson used to say "If you want people to go to games, don't televise it to the City where the match is being played"

If we can't televise it then the TV rights are worth less. This means the grants to the Clubs from the NRL will be less (not to mention investment in grassroots etc) and thus the Clubs will be further in the hole.

mickdo

Coach
If we can't televise it then the TV rights are worth less. This means the grants to the Clubs from the NRL will be less (not to mention investment in grassroots etc) and thus the Clubs will be further in the hole.

Yep. That means the effort has to be made in improving the experience of going to the game.

parra pete

Referee

Unless you make it COMPULSORY to go to the games, no matter what happens people will still be staying away.
The game has become too boring..same old, same old every week..and the loyalty of supporters has gone out the window.
Not everyone is fanatical about the games as we here on the forum..Hard to believe...but true....Not everyone has Pride and Passion for the Club or the game, more's the shame..
I have followed the fortunes of the Club for 49 years..my fifty years comes up next year.
The time when the Parramatta supporters were the most passionate, in my opinion, was in the mid sixties.
The game was much more 'tribal then'..and there were less distractions to keep people away from games...
I recently ran into former greats Peter Armstrong (St George premiership hooker 1961 and 1964) and Noel "Tombstone" Dolton (Parra prop 62-63-64 Wests 67/68), and they agreed that the passion in supporters is no longer like it used to be..

parra pete

Referee
What's the old saying..The older we get, the better we were"...
Spose its the same with supporters...:lol:
I just know that those years certainly made an impression on me..and I wouldn't swap them for any other era..

^b0ss^

Juniors
i think ...the answer is easy no matter what you do,the team has to be winners. FULL STOP.
why do we talk about people like guru,sterling,price,kenny,ella ...there all winners.All you talk about are the winners the losers get nothing.
look how many man united fans there are ....its not because where they live its cause there winnners.
Broncos fans a few yrs ago fell when they were losing.
Its all about winning full stop.
what fans want when there team is winning is to be apart of it.PRIDE and PASSION is 90% of it.
if your team is winning the money comes rolling in everyone wants in ....sponsors will pay more the supports go to the club more.

What we need is PRIDE AND PASSION PEOPLE.
you want to be proud of your team ...and when they win ya wearing the jersery every day :p.

you have to have a winning team its just that simple.

look how many fans there are at the souths games ..and the dragons games ....when they were winning ...they were sitting on the roof of the stadium.
souths would fill the stands if there team won something !!! alll of a sudden people that dont follow footy are souths supports.

look how many melb jerseys ya see when they make the grand final .....half the poeople walking around in syd have one on.......and the first thing they say is ..ive been following them since they joined. :p

there are loyal fans ...but there are soooo many more people that folllow the winners ...

Last edited:

^b0ss^

Juniors
you know what i miss also .....how good was it ....back in the day when they use to cross live to the leagues club ....when the team scored in the finals ( and the croud was going ape sh@t)...then cross to the other team....( and there is no movement).

_goParra

Juniors
Foxtel seems to be more enjoyable now we have IQ2 (HD). I trawl through the pages and record shows that I like. So basically I never watch Foxtel live anymore. Just the shows that I like.

I do the same... but I record mine via the foxtel internet site... much easier.

TheRam

Coach
What some people here have forgotten is that the crowds over the last 10 years or so are of record level in general. I remember back in the 70's & 80's most games drawing crowds of around 8-13000, with generally only the match of the round being around 16-20000. Very rarely would games exceed these figures and when they did it would get spoken about as being a massive crowd and what a fantastic result.

So imo I do not believe that the crowds are affected that much by TV. League has a public relations & marketing problem with its fans. The clubs have never pursued the fan like in AFL. Pokies have been their God for way to long to the detriment of the fan. We are only just now seeing the start of some clubs doing things to address this, but we have a long, long, long way to go.

The League and the clubs are way behind on looking after the humble fan. Also winning is a major attraction to most fan, as has been mentioned here by some. But what is just as important in a city like Sydney, where there are so many external competitors for the fans attention and dollar, we have about twice as many teams as we should.

We need to allow teams to naturally die, move or merge, with massive incentives to move in particular to other states. I also think that there are to many teams. 12 to 14 are my preferred numbers. It would allow for a stronger competition, but more importantly, due to salary cap conditions, it would be theoretically possible for all supporters to see their team win a GF and be successful more often.

parra pete

Referee
What some people here have forgotten is that the crowds over the last 10 years or so are of record level in general. I remember back in the 70's & 80's most games drawing crowds of around 8-13000, with generally only the match of the round being around 16-20000. Very rarely would games exceed these figures and when they did it would get spoken about as being a massive crowd and what a fantastic result.

So imo I do not believe that the crowds are affected that much by TV. League has a public relations & marketing problem with its fans. The clubs have never pursued the fan like in AFL. Pokies have been their God for way to long to the detriment of the fan. We are only just now seeing the start of some clubs doing things to address this, but we have a long, long, long way to go.

The League and the clubs are way behind on looking after the humble fan. Also winning is a major attraction to most fan, as has been mentioned here by some. But what is just as important in a city like Sydney, where there are so many external competitors for the fans attention and dollar, we have about twice as many teams as we should.

We need to allow teams to naturally die, move or merge, with massive incentives to move in particular to other states. I also think that there are to many teams. 12 to 14 are my preferred numbers. It would allow for a stronger competition, but more importantly, due to salary cap conditions, it would be theoretically possible for all supporters to see their team win a GF and be successful more often.

:sarcasm: :shock: Hell, you're not Fitzy are you. With a name like RAM, and suggesting teams merge.....sounds like it to me...
What Clubs should die or merge, in your opinion...AND won't those Clubs prouduce players with PRIDE and PASSION to stir up the masses?

TheRam

Coach
:sarcasm: :shock: Hell, you're not Fitzy are you. With a name like RAM, and suggesting teams merge.....sounds like it to me...
What Clubs should die or merge, in your opinion...AND won't those Clubs prouduce players with PRIDE and PASSION to stir up the masses?

Other then Parra, any that you belong to would be a nice start.

Maybe you should read my post again instead of attacking me, which seems to be the only thing that you do on this site. Being old and bitter my friend is not a good look.

parra pete

Referee
What teams do YOU want to DIE...or merge.
You are unbelievable...It is OK for every other Club to die, merge or be culled, but not the Eels. Take your blinkers off you f**king goose.

parra pete

Referee
Other then Parra, any that you belong to would be a nice start.

Maybe you should read my post again instead of attacking me, which seems to be the only thing that you do on this site. Being old and bitter my friend is not a good look.

P S I am neither OLD nor BITTER.
Experienced in life, yeah sure..believe everything I hear ...no way..Bitter...life is too short to be bitter.
Roll with the punches, and stick by friends. Loyalty is a trait in life that seems to have disappeared in recent years.
AND my main motto in life is DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY

TheRam

Coach
P S I am neither OLD nor BITTER.
Experienced in life, yeah sure..believe everything I hear ...no way..Bitter...life is too short to be bitter.
Roll with the punches, and stick by friends. Loyalty is a trait in life that seems to have disappeared in recent years.
AND my main motto in life is DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY

:lol::lol:

Latest posts