What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the anti Brian Smith agenda?

tiger_nick

Bench
let me ask you this then. if brian smith coached brisbane for 20 tears would he have won a comp?

i think he is s great coach. he took over the dragons when they were a shambles and got them to two grand finals (they probably should have won 93, jason stevens gone for the game first tackle, brisbane score the winning try off a blatant forward pass).

took over a parramatta team that had been at the bottom end of the ladder for a decade, took them to a grand final and about 4 finals. also has the record for the highest scoring team over a season ever.

then was charged with making newcastle a force after they lose andrew johns and danny buderus a season later. no easy feet yet he has a team of no names and rejects performing out of their skin.

not to mention he won a comp in england. i would glady have him at the tigers at the expense of sheens.

let me ask you this then. if brian smith coached brisbane for 20 tears would he have won a comp?

i think he is s great coach. he took over the dragons when they were a shambles and got them to two grand finals (they probably should have won 93, jason stevens gone for the game first tackle, brisbane score the winning try off a blatant forward pass).

took over a parramatta team that had been at the bottom end of the ladder for a decade, took them to a grand final and about 4 finals. also has the record for the highest scoring team over a season ever.

then was charged with making newcastle a force after they lose andrew johns and danny buderus a season later. no easy feet yet he has a team of no names and rejects performing out of their skin.

not to mention he won a comp in england. i would glady have him at the tigers at the expense of sheens.

Is he just unlucky then? he can make it all the way but he cant seal the deal.

as i said earlier i think he's got a lot of talent. Especially as a mentor , whenever i have heard him interviewed he sounds like a really top bloke who knows a lot about the game.

but imo something is wrong if he hasnt yet won a title.

btw - I could be wrong , but i dont think he won a comp in England. Im pretty sure that was another grand final loss ( or challenge cup?)

Jono1987

Juniors
Who knows? That's a hypothetical. And Bennett won six premierships not one and took them to how ever many finals series in a row. It's just hard to believe you can rate a coach so highly who has never won a premiership, especially given how long he's been in the game. People talk of how the Dragons and Brown threw away a golden opportunity in 2005 and I whole heartily agree, but just as prominent would be the Eels of 2001 who were miles ahead of every other team.

Who knows? That's a hypothetical. And Bennett won six premierships not one and took them to how ever many finals series in a row. It's just hard to believe you can rate a coach so highly who has never won a premiership, especially given how long he's been in the game. People talk of how the Dragons and Brown threw away a golden opportunity in 2005 and I whole heartily agree, but just as prominent would be the Eels of 2001 who were miles ahead of every other team.

The resilliance of the team is always a major factor come finals time. We f**ked bad in '01 and '05 because we simple couldn't finish off simple aspects of the game like our sets, set-plays, defence and ofcourse a formidable discipline which we surely lacked.

Noa

First Grade
has a coach ever had so many years at first grade level without a title though?

Smith seems like he has a lot of ability to me , but you cant get around the fact that he has around 18 years as a coach and has won nothing.

Id say the fact he has been around for 18 years without winning a title speaks volumes.

Knightmare

Coach
As somebody else mentioned, if Smith had been the man the Broncos sought as head coach back in 1987, he would have at least one Premiership to his name. The three Grand Finals he has lead teams to (1992, '93, 2001) the opposition had a better team on paper, irrespective of how well the Eels did in 2001 during the season. The Knights had a better side on paper with more rep and finals football in their arsenal.

The thing to ask yourself is what shape would the Knights be in if Mick Hagan was still carrying the clipboard? IMO we'd be challenging the Gold Coast Seagulls of 1991-93 in the spoon department by now!

Loudstrat

Coach
Yeah, and if Smith had been your coach in 97 and 01 you'd be asking Cronulla for premiership advice!

Knightmare

Coach
I am wondering more recently if those finals losses that punctuated Smiths' reign at Parra were more to do with club culture than anything else? There is alot of pressure to win silverware out in Eels territory, after all these years and all that money spent. Surely it has to affect the players' minds sooner or later?

Compare it to Newcastle who in 2000 had a team good enough to win the Grand Final, but under Warren Ryan and with the Matthew Johns saga and those pressures, fell short. With arguably a weaker team the following year, and a new coach in Mick Hagan who related well to the players, the Knights felt less pressure and had lower expectations to live up to, which brought success. Interestingly, I think it's this "Nobody rates us, we don't care" attitude that has seen Newcastle do so well this past year.

Loudstrat

Coach
Well, Hagan took both teams to the finals.

You are possibly right re the pressure, but so what? It's Smith's job to deal with it.

Frederick

Staff member
You know, the one where little girls would write letters in crayon to Massoud outlining how Smith is destroying her club. The one where Newcastle was set for a revolution because Smith was tearing their footy team, and, thus, their entire town apart. The one where Smith does nothing but destroy footballers with mind games. Where is it? Raaaaaaaaay has been pretty quiet. I don't read the Telecrap but I haven't seen too many articles on here about how bad he is.

Surely they haven't conceded defeat?

I wish Brian Smith would come to Bondi and clean out the dead wood. Although, he would have a much tougher task than he did at Newcastle.
Nah, the agenda's still there. I picked up this little tidbit a couple of weeks ago:
Frederick said:
I've been perusing the comments for Phil Rothfields most recent blog about the 10 biggest NRL lemons of 2009 (surprisingly, not one Knight was named), and came across this little beauty.

One respondant posted the following:
Ten lemons...hmmmm.
Well the best of the last couple of years was Brisbane recruiting Joel Clinton and in the process letting Petero leave.
As for this year, what about these?
* Brisbane letting Michael Ennis go when he was nearly their best player last year and can kick goals.
* Cronulla letting go of Isaac De Gois
* Parramatta signing Kevin Kingston
* Manly signing Tony Williams (what has he done so far)
* Canberra letting William Zillman go (he onlt needs to stay sound to be a star)
* Luke Priddis to St george when they have Dean Young
As for the best buys sp far
* Israel Folau to Brisbane
* Weyman to St George
* Joel Moon to Warriors
* Colin Best to Souths
Any agreement/disagreement?

B Daddy (Reply)
Thu 16 Apr 09 (12:30pm)
To which Rothfield replied:
I wanted to keep my lemons to 2009 but there have been some great stuff-ups over the years. If you even started picking a team from players Brian Smith has lost over the years you’d have a premiership winning side. He got rid of Clint Newton who went on to win a comp at Melbourne. Next year he got rid of Josh Perry, who went on to win a comp at Manly. Let’s just say talent identification is not one of Brian’s stronger points.
Phil Rothfield
Thu 16 Apr 09 (01:38pm)

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: FMD. So going by his reasoning, Newton is a better player than Wayne Pearce because he won a Grand Final?

You know, the one where little girls would write letters in crayon to Massoud outlining how Smith is destroying her club. The one where Newcastle was set for a revolution because Smith was tearing their footy team, and, thus, their entire town apart. The one where Smith does nothing but destroy footballers with mind games. Where is it? Raaaaaaaaay has been pretty quiet. I don't read the Telecrap but I haven't seen too many articles on here about how bad he is.

Surely they haven't conceded defeat?

I wish Brian Smith would come to Bondi and clean out the dead wood. Although, he would have a much tougher task than he did at Newcastle.

Bwahahaha did you see the nevilles running around at our club! Atleast ur lads have the talent they just arent using it.

My two cents....

The sign of a good coach is not if the team win the grand final, but rather if they get there in the first place. Imo it is the coach's job to give a team the guidance, structure and discipline to get them to the big show at the end of the year. Once there, the coach can prepare the team as best he can and then thats about it for his involvement. The rest is up to the team itself. The coach gives them the map and the tools to find the summit, but sometimes a team can still get lost.

Perfect example is the Storm and Bellamy last year. Bellamy got them to the grand final and gave them all the tools to win, but at the end of the day, the Storm got absolutely hammered by a record margin.
Is Bellamy a bad coach? No.
Were the Storm a bad team? On the day yes but they had been great up until that point.
Could Bellamy have done anything to turn that game around? Nothing short of buying a rifle and taking pot shots at the Manly players from the stands would have helped imo.

They were fit, prepared and had a proven game plan but on the day it all just went to sh*t for them.

Does that make Bellamy a lesser coach? Imo no.

As I mentioned earlier, the measure of a coach should be how many grand finals and final series he gets his teams into as Grand Finals are generally a bit of a raffle and no matter how good a team is, sometimes they can just have a shocker.

Gaba

First Grade
Perfect example is the Storm and Bellamy last year. Bellamy got them to the grand final and gave them all the tools to win, but at the end of the day, the Storm got absolutely hammered by a record margin.
Is Bellamy a bad coach? No.
Were the Storm a bad team? On the day yes but they had been great up until that point.
Could Bellamy have done anything to turn that game around? Nothing short of buying a rifle and taking pot shots at the Manly players from the stands would have helped imo.

They were fit, prepared and had a proven game plan but on the day it all just went to sh*t for them.

Does that make Bellamy a lesser coach? Imo no.

Difference is Bellamy has no plans, it was the players who had the skill of getting through games.

Bellamy is very overrated

No the storm players isnt a bad team , but yes the storm's coach is imo

I still rate Hagan just ahead of no plansBellamy , , take away the one man scenario which people say made hagan in newcastle,in a way Hagan had game plans for his team to play, you cant say that for no plans Bellamy he is relying on his game breakers to come up with the plans when they are on the field

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
Smithy always had and will show he has plans, who can forget about the whiteboard what is shown in the dressing room, at half time with smithys tactical moves you have to give credit for a coach who game plans

bluesbreaker

Bench
but just as prominent would be the Eels of 2001 who were miles ahead of every other team.

Wrong, Knights were always gonna beat Parra. Just look at the results early on in the year when we flogged them at home with Joey. When Joey was injured we got pumped of course, but we had them covered like blankets at a picnic if he didn't get injured most of the year.