What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the anti Brian Smith agenda?

I agree with Gaba about Bellamy, no plans. Same as Ricky Stuart. Teams full of so much talent they could coach themselves. Sticky is being exposed (If he already hadn't been exposed in 2006) for the nuffy he is and Bellamy is heading down that path.

Nah, the agenda's still there. I picked up this little tidbit a couple of weeks ago:
I wanted to keep my lemons to 2009 but there have been some great stuff-ups over the years. If you even started picking a team from players Brian Smith has lost over the years you’d have a premiership winning side. He got rid of Clint Newton who went on to win a comp at Melbourne. Next year he got rid of Josh Perry, who went on to win a comp at Manly. Let’s just say talent identification is not one of Brian’s stronger points.
Phil Rothfield
Thu 16 Apr 09 (01:38pm)

That is typical of the agenda, though. It was better for Newcastle's long term plan to get rid of those players. Atleast, from the other side of the fence it appeared that way. Phil Rothfield himself is a f**king lemon.

Bwahahaha did you see the nevilles running around at our club! Atleast ur lads have the talent they just arent using it.

What do you mean? Do you follow Newcastle? I wish our team had half the talent Newcastle has. Smith also seemed to have eradicated most of the nevilles. Who, exactly, at the Roosters has the talent they just aren't using?

Mason?
O'Meley?
Anasta?
Slowiola?
James Aubusson?

We have one centre in the squad and about 587 back rowers. Don't start me on Young, Lam and Palmer, either. You can gladly send Smith here in 2010 to clean out our deadwood because there are atleast 10 people who need to go. Hopefully he can control Carney's drink.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Baron Von Mandor is basically geniused, but I think what he meant by the use of 'did' tends to imply past-tense. Not sure though.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Difference is Bellamy has no plans, it was the players who had the skill of getting through games.

Bellamy is very overrated

No the storm players isnt a bad team , but yes the storm's coach is imo

I still rate Hagan just ahead of no plansBellamy , , take away the one man scenario which people say made hagan in newcastle,in a way Hagan had game plans for his team to play, you cant say that for no plans Bellamy he is relying on his game breakers to come up with the plans when they are on the field

:lol: well you can have him and we'll take bellamy:lol:

I wonder what happened to the thirty or so dickheads who had their photos on the front page of the Telecrap a few years ago crying that Smith was going to burn Newcastle (the City, not the team) down to the ground and how he is Satan and how they wouldn't turn up to games/hand in their memberships etc... I bet they're the first people in through the gate at EAS.

Anybody listen to fat Ray? He was probably the biggest Brian Smith knocker of them all.

I hope Newcastle do win a comp so Smith can smile pretty at wankers like Hadley, Massoud, Rothfield, 95% of Parramatta fans and the idiot Newcastle fans who went public on the Telecrap agenda.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I'm really looking forward to bumping some threads come finals time that were around here when we signed Smith :).

Shorty

Staff member
Honestly, who really rates coaches by amount of premierships?
Look at the late Jack Gibson, no success with Cronulla...
Like Different Rabbit said, the coach's work is for his team to make it to the finals - It's up to the team from there on.

Of course, coaches show their real worth come finals time however it's completely up to the players.

To be honest, Parramatta continuously disappoint...considering the line up the team has and has had.

I don't understand why people have a problem with Brian Smith, it needed to be done...and now look where Newcastle are on the ladder..
Tim Sheens should show you the how many premierships argument is a load of sh*te.

Liam

Juniors
0,,5622073,00.jpg

LMAO THIS IS THE LETTER!!!!!!! Liam came through with the goods.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

This is bottom of the toilet journalism.

Somebody please find the front page photo of all those Newcastle fans and "their pain" in the small caption boxes.

Brutus

Referee

:lol:

Ha ha...that looks like Phil Rothfeldsman's handwriting.

That rag continues to out-do itself for bottom-of-the-barrel paper filler.

That is horrid Rothfeldsman:lol:

I'd like to know why Rothfeldsman continually refers to himself as EXECUTIVE sports editor? :lol: Executive...what is that sh*t:lol:

Brutus

Referee
I can't believe that game in Newy yesterday didn't sell-out (i'm fully aware of the ground restrictions 21-22k max)

10 years ago there would've been 27,000 there. 20 years ago probably 30,000.

Yesterday there was 18.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
And we all know what Massoud wrote in 07. This gem was written about three weeks ago:

Knights learning lessons of history

By Josh Massoud

AN OFF-season rally cry to revive club tradition has shot Newcastle to the brink of history, with the charging Knights now just a win shy of equalling their best-ever run at home.

Victory over Gold Coast on Sunday will extend Newcastle's winning streak at EnergyAustralia Stadium to eight games - matching the feat of their all-conquering predecessors a decade ago.

Led by the great Andrew Johns, Newcastle's 1995 and 1999 sides defended their fortress on eight straight occasions during the heyday when crowds would pack the eastern hill by noon.

But a three-year absence from finals football and coach Brian Smith's controversial 2007 cleanout of several local juniors blunted the steel of Knights fans, in voice and number.

The drop-off concerned stalwarts Kurt Gidley, Steve Simpson and Adam MacDougall to such an extent that the trio set about reminding players from outside the Hunter - who now make most of the team - about the club's history.

"Over the off-season a few of the older boys wanted to teach the newer guys about the club's history and what it stands for," MacDougall said.

"They sat down and explained to them what the club was about, the significance of the 1997 and 2001 premierships to the town and its people.

"They told the new boys that once you are a Knight, you are a Knight for life.

"We now have a former player address the team before each game, as well as pictures of Knights greats up in the dressingroom."

Along with the memorabilia, the club's original 1988 creed - "Be the player other players want to play with" - has also been resurrected.

Returning to Newcastle in 2007 after three years at Souths, MacDougall noticed a distinct drop in crowd support and atmosphere at home games.

"We were struggling and not winning as many games at home as we were expected to," MacDougall said.

"With the great crowd support the club's had, there's no reason why we can't be successful at home. If you win all your home games
then you qualify for the finals.

"The players were aware that we needed to do better for our fans, who are so good to us."

MacDougall credited the Danny Buderus farewell match against Melbourne last August as the wake-up call that inspired this season's winning run.

But he rated last Saturday night's upset win over Brisbane as particularly special, given that almost 18,000 fans sat through lightning and a 40-minute power outage to cheer on the side.

"It was inspiring the way the fans stayed on," Knights CEO Steve Burraston said.

"Things have improved a lot since last year.

"We wanted to get back to the days when teams hated coming to Newcastle, when they feared playing the Knights up here."
LINK

Ahhh yes, the good old fashioned backflip from the 5m platform.

Apey

Staff member
I can't believe that game in Newy yesterday didn't sell-out (i'm fully aware of the ground restrictions 21-22k max)

10 years ago there would've been 27,000 there. 20 years ago probably 30,000.

Yesterday there was 18.

Yeah, I think the development itself is turning fans off a bit.

But it's pretty 'head-in-the-sand' sort of stuff to say that our crowds aren't a bit worrying. We have a perfect home record - no idea what's up.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yeah, I think the development itself is turning fans off a bit.

But it's pretty 'head-in-the-sand' sort of stuff to say that our crowds aren't a bit worrying. We have a perfect home record - no idea what's up.
RE: Crowd figures, I think its because the only game we've had so far this year where it's been a lovely sunny day was against Manly. I think a little over 15k turned up for that one, which in itself is a bit disappointing, but then again Manly were going like busteds at the time.

Will De Ness

Juniors
Can we get some crayon wielding types, face painting types from Campbelltown with the mental age of 9 to write some letters to the Daily Astonisher about the effect a coach that has been in his current gig 7 seasons for 1 finals appearance is having ?

Mr Saab

Referee
Can we get some crayon wielding types, face painting types from Campbelltown with the mental age of 9 to write some letters to the Daily Astonisher about the effect a coach that has been in his current gig 7 seasons for 1 finals appearance is having ?

The man in question is a koala....protected species. Will be interesting what happens if they miss the finals for a fourth straight series. No coach has lasted four straight yrs without a finals appearance.

Hanscholo

Bench
I heard Ray Hadley have a go at Smith yesterday. Claiming "Thats how he got into trouble at parra" when the knights declared rogers wasnt playing and brought Dureau in. Hadley went on to detail the most laughable story about a young bloke meant to be making his NRL debut on the saturday night for Parra years ago, and Smith decides on the Friday night to change the side. Ray was disgusted apparently the kid had organised for his family to come down...

boo f**king hoo Ray. What is Smith supposed to do, arrange the side around everyones social progam? And for the record, Ben Rogers was in doubt ALL week you dumb merkin, if you'd shut your mouth and listen for once in your life you may actually know something about the game. He was declared unfit at the last minute as you do when you have the flu.

Latest posts