What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

dubopov

Coach
It's simple .. if the Donkeys can't field a team they forfeit. If a team loses first graders to illness or injury it's just tough sh*t.

Monk

Referee
FMD, do people not get it?

If Hunt test positive then the First Grade AND NYC player MUST go to quarantine, the broncos dont have a choice in the matter (although im surprised noone has mentioned whether the Coaching staff has to go too)
The Broncos cant just "get" another 17 guys to play, The broncos club would have to issue out match payments to these new 17 guys, this im assuming would come out of the Broncos salary cap.

adamkungl

Immortal
FMD, do people not get it?

If Hunt test positive then the First Grade AND NYC player MUST go to quarantine, the broncos dont have a choice in the matter (although im surprised noone has mentioned whether the Coaching staff has to go too)
The Broncos cant just "get" another 17 guys to play, The broncos club would have to issue out match payments to these new 17 guys, this im assuming would come out of the Broncos salary cap.

Don't care. Their problem. Forfeit.

Ghoulies

Bench
It's not just their problem. Rightly or wrongly Swine Flu is seen as a national health concern. If the Broncos cannot field a team it's because of a government directive that would have to be unprecedented (can anyone remember anything similar happening before?). These are special circumstances and if the Broncos were to be denied a chance to contest two competition points over this it would be quite unfair.

Danish

Referee

I'm sure the Broncos would find a way to make the salary cap work...

They always have

RL1908

Bench
If the Broncos cannot field a team it's because of a government directive that would have to be unprecedented (can anyone remember anything similar happening before?).

No. During the 1919 'Spanish flu' pandemic RL in Brisbane had a few problems, but the govt did not order games be stopped (even though the 1919 flu killed 12,000 Australians).

"The Game Must Go On"
Rugby league and the 1919 Spanish 'Flu Pandemic
RL1908.com

Shifty

Juniors
Sounds like the Broncos are running scared and looking for excuses already.

Can't find the exact article at the moment, but Hunt was reported to have felt flu-like symptoms before the Storm game. They've had adequate time to deal with this and have only themselves to blame if they have to forfeit.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that as this shapes as a very good contest.

RABK

Referee
Haha, this thread is classic thread bound.

Some of the absolute dumbest posts i have ever read have been posted in here. Some of you are deadset plonkers of the highest order.

If it comes to it, rescheduling the match is the only fair thing to do. Don't let reality or logic get in the way of a Broncos bashing though.

Some of the absolute dumbest posts i have ever read have been posted in here. Some of you are deadset plonkers of the highest order.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Just play the bloody thing on Sunday afternoon. Seems to be the logical solution here. By my calculations, the players would be quarantined Thursday, Friday, Saturday and whoever was still alive on Sunday would be free to play. Fair to the Bulldogs. Fair to the Broncos. Not fair to Channel Nine, but whaddayagunnadu?

And besides. My brother is working Sunday so I can get his season ticket :crazy:

natheel

Coach
Reschedule for another time.... But I rekon broncos should b forced to blood players or bring qld cup players in. I mean players get sick or injured just treat of like a normal flu IMO

badav

Bench
Sounds like the Broncos are running scared and looking for excuses already.

Yeah thats exactly what it sounds like if your an absolute idiot with 1/17th the IQ of rock.

Its not a matter at all of whether swine flu regulations are over the top or not, its whats required by as per health regulations, and it applies to everyone including NRL players.

Loudstrat

Coach
It's not just their problem. Rightly or wrongly Swine Flu is seen as a national health concern. If the Broncos cannot field a team it's because of a government directive that would have to be unprecedented (can anyone remember anything similar happening before?).
Yes. Round 1 1997. Brisbane forfeited from a News Ltd directive. Lost 2 points. Precedent set. Either get a team on the park or f*ck off and forfeit.

These are special circumstances and if the Broncos were to be denied a chance to contest two competition points over this it would be quite unfair.
No one gave the Dogs a second thought when glandular fever racked their club in 1981

If it's all up to cutie, then now would be a good time to f*ck him off to Yawnion - and THEY can all be quarantined. Then again, how many public toilets have to be quarantined? What about Charmayne Pavlova? Damn sure no one in a Kiwi jumper will have to be quarantined because of cutie.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Those suggesting the game be moved to Sunday - that then f**ks the Dragons over as they're forced to back up from MNF on a Friday night. That and it's pretty short notice for all ticketholders and those who've arranged their trips to both Wollongong and Brisbane.

My initial thoughts were if they can't play, it should be a forfeit. But ultimately, I can't see any reason why the match shouldn't go on. Ben Hannant actually tested positive to H1N1 and he'll be healthy and fit to play by 7:35pm tomorrow night. If Hunt tests positive then the Broncos players only have to be quarantined til midnight tonight (11:59pm Thursday so to speak)... what's the big deal?

Ghoulies

Bench
Yes. Round 1 1997. Brisbane forfeited from a News Ltd directive. Lost 2 points. Precedent set. Either get a team on the park or f*ck off and forfeit.
Nice one. Except I was talking about players pulling out due to infectious disease, while you somehow managed to bring the Superleague war into it.

Also, I think you'll find that no one forfeited on round one 1997.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
R1 1996, you know what he meant.

And yes, Glandular Fever swept the Bulldogs in 1981 and we still had to field a team...

Latest posts