What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens if the Broncos Dogs game is called off on Friday????

johns_reds

First Grade
Facts don't lie Shorty.

Swine flu in 2009 has a mortality rate of 0.05%..... and if you only take into account countries with first rate medical systems, that drops to 0.2%

So yes, the precautions are there based on hysteria.

err, 0.05 is smaller then 0.2, how can that be a drop?

Shorty

Staff member
Facts don't lie Shorty.

Swine flu in 2009 has a mortality rate of 0.05%..... and if you only take into account countries with first rate medical systems, that drops to 0.2%

So yes, the precautions are there based on hysteria.

err, 0.05 is smaller then 0.2, how can that be a drop?
:lol::lol:
And he misses the point again - Danish, is it Swine flu that kills people?
As I said - Look it up.

They're not worried about 'Swine flu' alone...

Danish

Referee
Yeah yeah I hit the "0" key once too many times in the first instance. The percentages are 0.5% vs 0.2%

Danish

Referee
And he misses the point again - Danish, is it Swine flu that kills people?
As I said - Look it up.

Why don't you TELL us what kills people Shorty?

Do you have some massive medical knowledge that the WHO doesn't know about which means that the Swine Flu death toll is actually much higher?

They're not worried about 'Swine flu' alone...

What else are they worried about then shorty?

Let me guess..... "Look it up"

Shifty

Juniors
The problem with swine flu is not just what it is, it's what it has the potential to be.

Some people are going to overreact and it may well be that these measures are unecessary. Let's hope so.

At the moment it does seem as if the threat isn't as great as first thought, but that doesn't mean the precautions were wrong. Hopefully people don't get too complacent.

Shorty

Staff member
Why don't you TELL us what kills people Shorty?

Do you have some massive medical knowledge that the WHO doesn't know about which means that the Swine Flu death toll is actually much higher?

What else are they worried about then shorty?

Let me guess..... "Look it up"

The problem with swine flu is not just what it is, it's what it has the potential to be.

Some people are going to overreact and it may well be that these measures are unecessary. Let's hope so.

At the moment it does seem as if the threat isn't as great as first thought, but that doesn't mean the precautions were wrong. Hopefully people don't get too complacent.
Gedit?
Or do you want to continue to argue for the sake of argument, Danish?

The Swine flu combined with regular flu is what is feared, people develop pneumonia.
This to my knowledge is to what similarly happened in early last century and wiped out a LOT of people.
Yes the world is much safer and different but what do you expect them to do when an example of this happened and proved what can go wrong?

Last edited:

8Ball

First Grade
The risk is that this current strain mutates and becomes a deadly virus with a far higher mortality rate, with higher rates of transmission. So many pseudointellectuals in here..

I think what Shorty is getting at is that the Spanish flu had 2 strains, the initial one, and the second, deadly one.

Here's the facts. Whether you like it or not, the Australian Health Authorities have the strict rules they do in place. They have their reasons for it, and whether you agree with them or not they aren't going to change. This has nothing to do with football. But if Hunt tests possitive to Swine Flu, then he will be quarentined. Given he has been in contact with his team, the entire Broncos squad and their families will be quarentined. I doubt they would like that but thats what will be imposed upon them. That's the facts. The NRL, nor the Broncos are making these rules, nor is it either of their faults. The NRL can't just decide the players can play, so get that idea out of your head. The only thing that is open to debate is as to whether Broncos should field a very much third string side, or the match be moved. I'm not a fan of either the Dogs or Broncos, but surely common sense would say the match should be moved. It's hardly the Broncos fault they are in this predicament, its only going to equate to fairness for the entire competition.

Lambretta

First Grade
The risk is that this current strain mutates and becomes a deadly virus with a far higher mortality rate, with higher rates of transmission. So many pseudointellectuals in here..

I think what Shorty is getting at is that the Spanish flu had 2 strains, the initial one, and the second, deadly one.

The second Spanish Flu (it is called Spanish Flu as the Spanish Media were the first to widely report it - it actually started in the far East) caused the body to attack itself. Cells in the body designed to fight infection actually went insane and started attacking the host body. Some people died within 24 hours. It mainly effected young adults - with young children and older people, the usual victims of flu were less prone to death.

Spanish Flu - the ultimate trend killer!

Twigg

Juniors
Just said on Channel 10 that if Karmichael Hunt's test is positive then the game may be called off.

This sucks.

JT_

Juniors
SMH says that it's a strong possibility Hunt has Swine flu as all the players had taken flu shots before the season and he is now showing symptoms...

Danish

Referee
Gedit?
Or do you want to continue to argue for the sake of argument, Danish?

The Swine flu combined with regular flu is what is feared, people develop pneumonia.
This to my knowledge is to what similarly happened in early last century and wiped out a LOT of people.
Yes the world is much safer and different but what do you expect them to do when an example of this happened and proved what can go wrong?

In other words....

Hysteria.

"If this disease combines with that disease, and if we then all get sick and manage to at the same time get another disease, we might all have a 100/1 chance of dying!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!! :crazy:

Shifty

Juniors

Exactly.

Doesn't mean it will definitely get worse.

tiger_nick

Bench
sorry but if they can't field a team its forfeit. what would happen if for instance in a pregame warm up 10 brisbane players fall in pot holes and break their ankles? they would have to take the field with some ring ins. maybe even throw a few supporters in the crowd a jersey....thatd bring the fans back!

_Johnsy

Referee
Just for some clarity

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFluNews/Story?id=7691400&page=1
According to the WHO, 95 people worldwide have died of confirmed cases of swine flu. However, seasonal flu claimed an average of 36,000 lives annually in the 1990s, according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/key_facts.htm
How common is swine flu infection in humans?
In the past, CDC received reports of approximately one human swine influenza virus infection every one to two years in the U.S., but from December 2005 through February 2009, 12 cases of human infection with swine influenza have been reported. For information on the number of probable and confirmed cases of novel H1N1 flu in humans.

What do we know about human-to-human spread of swine flu?
In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman was hospitalized for pneumonia and died 8 days later. A swine H1N1 flu virus was detected. Four days before getting sick, the patient visited a county fair swine exhibition where there was widespread influenza-like illness among the swine.
In follow-up studies, 76% of swine exhibitors tested had antibody evidence of swine flu infection but no serious illnesses were detected among this group. Additional studies suggest that one to three health care personnel who had contact with the patient developed mild influenza-like illnesses with antibody evidence of swine flu infection

sorry but if they can't field a team its forfeit. what would happen if for instance in a pregame warm up 10 brisbane players fall in pot holes and break their ankles? they would have to take the field with some ring ins. maybe even throw a few supporters in the crowd a jersey....thatd bring the fans back!

Its a little different here.

Most of the players will be perfectly fit and ready to play , the issue is they are being told not to so as to stop the spread of the flu.

In cases like this we really have to take the advice of the medical people. maybe there is an argument that there is some hysteria here , but if the game went ahead and the swine flu spread to other teams it would not be a good look.

ByRd

First Grade
So if it does get called off (which i think is very extreme and over the top) what advantage do the Broncos/Bulldogs get later on in the year when it is being replayed, they will have to play mid week, just let them play the game

RL1908

Bench
Brisbane - Players Karmichael Hunt, Justin Hodges, Israel Folau, Peter Wallace, Sam Thaiday and Darren Lockyer all quarantined for 72 hours. Club awaiting test results. Whole team will be quarantined if any players test positive for virus.
Factbox on NRL's swine flu scare

Put entire team into quarantine for 72 hours, then play the game on Sunday or Monday?

Latest posts