What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

Travitoh

First Grade
Sydney should be reduced to 6 NRL clubs, and Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2 & Adelaide be brought in (in that order).

NZ1 have less members than 6 Sydney clubs but you rate NZ2 a higher priority than a one club town opportunity in Adelaide?

Sydney should be reduced to 6 NRL clubs, and Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2 & Adelaide be brought in (in that order).

Which 3 Sydney clubs do you imagine will be axed? It is not going to happen. Expansion in the areas you have identified has to happen on top of 9 Sydney clubs.

flippikat

Bench
NZ1 have less members than 6 Sydney clubs but you rate NZ2 a higher priority than a one club town opportunity in Adelaide?

It's about the revenue streams - and memberships are just one such stream.

A 2nd NZ team adds a genuine derby here, that's got to be worth more revenue from stuff like TV rights, merchandising etc.

flippikat

Bench
Which 3 Sydney clubs do you imagine will be axed? It is not going to happen. Expansion in the areas you have identified has to happen on top of 9 Sydney clubs.

To be honest, it doesn't matter to me which 3.
I have no preference, and it gazing into a crystal ball to predict is difficult.. I've speculated on scenarios elsewhere, but there's many moving parts right now.. and the wash-up from stadium redevelopment will be interesting - many clubs will be nomads for a few seasons, and some outlier clubs will feel the pinch for not being based in top-notch venues.

Anyway, if I suggested clubs, there'd be a pile of comments picking holes in it. The key point is that Sydney is over-saturated as it is.

There's many scenarios on how to address that.

If the restructure includes a re-draw of lower grade boundaries, there's no reason why all parts of Sydney can't still be represented in some form.

If it includes teams relocating, we can still have the same brands in the top tier, and they would still play in Sydney a few times per year for traditional fans.

If it includes clubs being demoted to NSW Cup, the identity AND location is preserved in a Sydney competition.

[Edit] it just needs some guts from the NRL to say "We need to do this to take the game forward. Stagnation is not an option anymore.", and stop being afraid of stepping on a few toes.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
The Johns brothers are not loyal to the Knights. They’re essentially fair weathered fans at this stage.

T-Boon

Coach
The Johns brothers are not loyal to the Knights. They’re essentially fair weathered fans at this stage.

They are basically a national brand.
But the aggravation for Knights fans is that if they situated themselves in Newcastle and got involved in recruitment, just heavily involved in the club or whatever their influence would probably have seen the Knights have many successful years.

mozza91

Coach
They are basically a national brand.
But the aggravation for Knights fans is that if they situated themselves in Newcastle and got involved in recruitment, just heavily involved in the club or whatever their influence would probably have seen the Knights have many successful years.
I’m not talking from that perspective. They have every right to move away for their media careers.

There’s just a perception that they are die hard Knights people that isn’t true. They care more about Ponga or Pearce than they do the actual club. When someone like Buderus or Chief talk about the club you can feel their passion, I just don’t feel it with the Johns brothers.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
It's about the revenue streams - and memberships are just one such stream.

A 2nd NZ team adds a genuine derby here, that's got to be worth more revenue from stuff like TV rights, merchandising etc.

Adelaide will bring new people to rugby league and a potential derby with Melbourne.
In terms of TV rights, the potential of reaching out to a new audience surely outweighs a couple of overseas derbies.

flippikat

Bench
Adelaide will bring new people to rugby league and a potential derby with Melbourne.
In terms of TV rights, the potential of reaching out to a new audience surely outweighs a couple of overseas derbies.

images

LineBall

Juniors
The NRL Premiership trophy is UGLY.

Surely something in Silver/Gold with Summons and Provan still featuring on it is possible.

axl rose

Bench
The NRL Premiership trophy is UGLY.

Surely something in Silver/Gold with Summons and Provan still featuring on it is possible.

Could have just used the JJ Giltinan shield instead of relegating it after Winfield was banned. Anyway. It could be worse. The Eh-league use a dunny seat.

I wonder what happened to this Tri-series trophy? probably dumped it at the Tip

c71328e9b63eeac594772cdebffc9392

LineBall

Juniors
Could have just used the JJ Giltinan shield instead of relegating it after Winfield was banned. Anyway. It could be worse. The Eh-league use a dunny seat.

I wonder what happened to this Tri-series trophy? probably dumped it at the Tip

c71328e9b63eeac594772cdebffc9392

Looks like it could focus the sun's rays to burn your eyes out.