What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

horrie hastings

First Grade
Can’t stop the music (1980)

Starring The Village People, Steve Gutenberg and featuring Bruce Jenner.

Camp as a row of tents. Worth the watch just to see Bruce Jenner storm off from a party the Village People were singing at because they were toooo gay.

I had forgotten this movie was on just after midnight every NYE until I flicked over the channel the other night( morning ). I do have the DVD gathering dust somewhere, the whole movie is a train wreck but one you can’t take your eyes off once you start watching it.
I always love the story that producer Allan Carr wanted Olivia Newton John to play the female lead in Cant Stop The Music but she had already accepted to do Xanadu instead, Carr had a hissy fit and didn’t speak to Olivia for years.

nöyd

Staff member
Saw that the Green Hornet appeared on netflix during the week, thought I'd give it another go.

No. Just no.

Christoph Waltz must've needed the dollars before Tarantino set him free.

Wizardman

First Grade
I just watched "Kalifornia" off SBS. Wow! Im not sure why I had not seen this earlier. Very interesting to watch three of the four main cast members before they were megastars (Pitt, David Duchovny and Juliette Lewis). You could see some Mulder like tendencies In Duchovony, Pitt was his usual great self but Lewis was incredible in her role.

Springs09

Juniors
Ad Astra - Well done without being amazing. 7/10

The School - awful Aussie (horror?) film filled with cliches and over-acting kids. 4/10

Mary Queen of Scots - the worst colourblind casting I've ever seen. Black actors cast as historical Scottish lords? Really? Plus the story is awfully inaccurate. 4/10

The Lego Movie 2 - not as enjoyable or funny as the first. 6/10

The Irishman - quite good, pace was good until the end where it dragged a bit. Good to see Joe Pesci again. 7.5/10

PJ

First Grade
JoJo Rabbit 7/10. I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much more.

Also not quite the movie I was expecting from the trailer. Kid who played JoJo was great, as was Yorki.

Sam Rockwell continues to be one of my favourite actors, could have done with more of his character.

Matua

Bench
JoJo Rabbit 7/10. I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much more.

Also not quite the movie I was expecting from the trailer. Kid who played JoJo was great, as was Yorki.

Sam Rockwell continues to be one of my favourite actors, could have done with more of his character.
What do you think could have been done to make it so much more?

I just watched "Kalifornia" off SBS. Wow! Im not sure why I had not seen this earlier. Very interesting to watch three of the four main cast members before they were megastars (Pitt, David Duchovny and Juliette Lewis). You could see some Mulder like tendencies In Duchovony, Pitt was his usual great self but Lewis was incredible in her role.

She was great in Natural Born Killers as well. An awesome movie right there. (Damn, would’ve put that in my top 30.

I’m a sucker for anything with Woody Harrelson but Rodney Dangerfield is excellent too.

PJ

First Grade
What do you think could have been done to make it so much more?

I don't really know to be honest. It had the bones to be great, with an interesting premise and some great performances. Just seemed to be missing something.

Certainly the humor wasn't a strong as I was expecting, and some of it (particularly Rebel Wilson's character) were pushing the cheap and cartoonish laugh and imo failed.

I only watched it yesterday but there are moments from Hunt for the Wilderpeople that are clearer in my mind already and I only watched that once well over a year ago.

Maybe it just didn't quite have the same heart and depth to the characters.

Maybe a little bit more predictable once the change in tone kicked in about 10 or so minutes in.

Maybe just my expectations were too high.

shiznit

Coach
I don't really know to be honest. It had the bones to be great, with an interesting premise and some great performances. Just seemed to be missing something.

Certainly the humor wasn't a strong as I was expecting, and some of it (particularly Rebel Wilson's character) were pushing the cheap and cartoonish laugh and imo failed.

I only watched it yesterday but there are moments from Hunt for the Wilderpeople that are clearer in my mind already and I only watched that once well over a year ago.

Maybe it just didn't quite have the same heart and depth to the characters.

Maybe a little bit more predictable once the change in tone kicked in about 10 or so minutes in.

Maybe just my expectations were too high.

that was how I saw it... it was okay... but not as good as I had heard from people who were raving about it.

the comedy just didn’t land for me...

I had people telling me it was his best film... i thought Hunt for the Wilderpeople was miles better TBH... I thought Boy was better as well.

to me it sits somewhere above Ragnarok but below Boy...

but I was in the minority when I spoke with other people who have seen it.

PJ

First Grade
that was how I saw it... it was okay... but not as good as I had heard from people who were raving about it.

the comedy just didn’t land for me...

I had people telling me it was his best film... i thought Hunt for the Wilderpeople was miles better TBH... I thought Boy was better as well.

to me it sits somewhere above Ragnarok but below Boy...

but I was in the minority when I spoke with other people who have seen it.

I watched it with 2 others and by far enjoyed it the most.

Agree completely it is nowhere near Hunt.

axl rose

Bench
Zombieland: Double Tap: The first movie had a somewhat serious tone mixed with comedy. This one just tries to force comedy the entire movie. Skip it:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
@PJ @shiznit

Yeah, I actually thought it was both funny and dramatic and fully ion the same level with Hunt and Boy. Boy is always my favourite because it's basically like my life from the 80s.

I didn't get the predictability and I thought the stakes were high enough to propel the drama while still retaining the comic edge.

In the theatre I was in there were audible gasps when Scar Jo was killed and that weird cheer clap at the end some people do. And the running joke of his tubby mate becoming more and more cartoonish soldiery was funny but all the time I was convinced he would be killed. The Heil scene was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

I saw it in a group of 6, 5 of us loved it, 1 of us didn't but he fell asleep for long parts of it.

PJ

First Grade
@PJ @shiznit

Yeah, I actually thought it was both funny and dramatic and fully ion the same level with Hunt and Boy. Boy is always my favourite because it's basically like my life from the 80s.

I didn't get the predictability and I thought the stakes were high enough to propel the drama while still retaining the comic edge.

In the theatre I was in there were audible gasps when Scar Jo was killed and that weird cheer clap at the end some people do. And the running joke of his tubby mate becoming more and more cartoonish soldiery was funny but all the time I was convinced he would be killed. The Heil scene was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

I saw it in a group of 6, 5 of us loved it, 1 of us didn't but he fell asleep for long parts of it.

The Scarlett scene was, to all of us, very expected. before it happened my daughter had pretty much described what we would see saying "we've seen her shoes so often I bet ...."

Matua

Bench
The Scarlett scene was, to all of us, very expected. before it happened my daughter had pretty much described what we would see saying "we've seen her shoes so often I bet ...."
Oh yeah, I expected it, clearly some in the cinema when I saw it didn't though.

Reactions: PJ

simmo05

Bench
T
Ford v Ferrari- other than some negotiations at the start there is barely any Ferrari in the film. Was more like Ford driver vs Ford execs. Anyway still a very good film and the relationship between Bale and Damon works well including an 'epic' Batman vs Bourne fight scene. B

The Nightingale- damn, this little aussie movie is f**ked up. I might go watch The Human Centipede to cheer myself up. A
The human centipede, now that is a classic!

Timbo

Staff member
Sorry to bother you

Thoroughly enjoyable movie that I’ll watch again. I missed the 10 min start so defs will watch again.

Who doesn’t like watching futuristic shit and thinking, “ Hmmm”.

4 out of 5 Mattel Hoverboards.

When it happens in that movie - not saying what it is so not to ruin it - my head nearly exploded. Such a great movie.

Just got back from the cinema - Jumanji - The Next Level. Fairly enjoyable, fun movie.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’ve watched a few good ones lately.

From ok to very good;

Ad Astra - I enjoyed most of this but the ending left me disappointed. I liked the plot and the methodical super astronaut played by Pitt, but the end/whole point of the story was a let down. 3/5

The Two Popes - Not a Catholic, nor religious but this was a fascinating insight into the office of Pope and the (extremely rare occurrence) of Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation, and his desire to be replaced by Pope Francis. It’s a good character driven story, very well acted by Jonathan Pryce & Sir Anthony Hopkins. 3.5/5

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Was one of my favorite Tarantino movies. A really fun (popcorn) movie with a refreshing story intertwined with actual historical events, and Quentin’s “re-imagining” of them, like in IB. 4/5

Joker - One of the rare movies I was looking forward to before it’s release. I didn’t manage to see it at the cinema. Looked for other means to watch it but ended up waiting for it’s dvd release. It was pretty damned amazing. Not in small part to Phoenix’s brilliance. He has crafted such a complex, nuanced character that makes you feel so many emotions. Then there’s his strange dancing lol. the score is so good too. Very forboding and unsettling. The story itself is very intense with some shocking plot twists and uber violence, but overall it all fits together nicely. Possibly the best comic book adaptation. Definitely for a DC character at least. DC comic movies are usually hot trash. 4.5/5