What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Matua

Bench
I know Nable can be a bit annoying with his promo voice overs on Fox, but the guy IMO has descent acting chops.
I remember seeing him on Arrow and not thinking he was that good (miscast maybe) but he's been good in most things since then, he's really good in Mr Inbetween.

Mark B

Juniors
I remember seeing him on Arrow and not thinking he was that good (miscast maybe) but he's been good in most things since then, he's really good in Mr Inbetween.
Yep, Mr Inbetween for sure. That entire cast work well.

Tenet.

I like brain-bending movies like this - but admittedly I was completely baffled at times.

I'll give it a rewatch soon - think i'll keep up to speed more the second time aroud.

School holidays and the young lad wanted to watch Venom.

I don't go for the Marvel-type movies. However I really enjoyed it for what it is.

Had seen the Venom inset in the Netflix menu for a while and thought "looks like bog standard trash". But wasn't at all. Good fun viewing if you're not in the intellectual mood.

Matua

Bench
Venom wasn't terrible but I remember it being badly paced with an almost non existent plot...
Venom was never as bad as people claimed it would be, and then as bad as a bunch of critics rated it. It was switch off your brain fun, and it depends on whether you have the capacity to do that whether you get enjoyment out of it I guess.

At the beginning (or end) of Venom they had clip from Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse. I thought well that looks crap, why are they making an animated Spider-man when there's real life movies all over the place. How wrong was I, that was one of my favourite movies of the year and is hands down the best Spider movie ever made IMHO.

Venom was never as bad as people claimed it would be, and then as bad as a bunch of critics rated it. It was switch off your brain fun, and it depends on whether you have the capacity to do that whether you get enjoyment out of it I guess.

At the beginning (or end) of Venom they had clip from Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse. I thought well that looks crap, why are they making an animated Spider-man when there's real life movies all over the place. How wrong was I, that was one of my favourite movies of the year and is hands down the best Spider movie ever made IMHO.

I've never watched a spiderman movie. And the only marvel/DC movie (the comic ones) I'd watched previously was on of the Thor's years ago and recently Guardians of the Galaxy with the young 'uns. They were ok enough. But liked Venom for reasons above.

I saw the spiderman bit at the end and did not get the context at all, or why it was even there.

Don't tell me I should get into Spiderman now??

Matua

Bench
I've never watched a spiderman movie. And the only marvel/DC movie (the comic ones) I'd watched previously was on of the Thor's years ago and recently Guardians of the Galaxy with the young 'uns. They were ok enough. But liked Venom for reasons above.

I saw the spiderman bit at the end and did not get the context at all, or why it was even there.

Don't tell me I should get into Spiderman now??
Venom is generally a Spider-man villain so that's why it was there.

If they're not your type of movies then really non need to watch them, but for me Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse is the best (and good for adults and kids), then the two Marvel movies, then the original Sam Rami ones from the early 2000s, and then the dud ones in the middle.

Hmmm, I've probably confused you more now.

If they're not your type of movies then really non need to watch them, but for me Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse is the best (and good for adults and kids), then the two Marvel movies, then the original Sam Rami ones from the early 2000s, and then the dud ones in the middle.

all good mate, yeah it all sounds a bit Hebrew to me but thats about more me than anything else…

As long as you enjoy it mate!

Jim Rockford

Bench

In the comics Venom was the black costume Spider-Man got to replace his damaged regular costume while he was on another planet during Marvel Superhero Secret Wars. When he got back to Earth he started to realise that there was something strange about this new costume and after a while the costume evolved into Venom and started battling Spidey. Venom then gave rise to Carnage and other symbiotes soon followed. So in essence, Venom is like a mirror image of Spidey, but whereas Spidey is good Venom is evil.

nöyd

Staff member
On the way home from work this afternoon I just had to drop into JB to see if they had Superman in 4K UHD - and they sure did.

Came home, and put it straight on - felt like I was 4 years old again seeing it for the first time. Effects are a little dated, as they should be for a 40-odd year old film, but I just got swept away in it, from go to whoa.

Being older and able to appreciate the things I never picked up on as a child, such as the casting. Christopher Reeve was simply born to be Clark Kent/Superman, I honestly applaud anyone who dared take on the role that he made his own, and the standard that everyone else would be held against. I thought Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill were excellent for their respective films, but neither of them even came anywhere close to Reeve.

Margot Kidder, probably my first ever on-screen crush next to Carrie Fisher, very beautiful without being unattainable. Cocky but kind, arrogance with innocence. When she interviewed Superman for the Daily Planet and he took her for a flight around the city, I legit teared up. But a lot of that would have been due to John Williams' score, especially Lois's theme. which played during this scene.

Gene Hackman, such a likeable asshole lol
Ned Beatty the perfect dopey sidekick
Valerie Perrine was a knockout - Miss Tessmacher!!!

A couple of famous faces such as John Ratzenberger (Cliff Claven from Cheers), and Larry Hagman giving Miss Tessmacher chest compressions and mouth to mouth lol

I never noticed before (obviously) but one of the detectives that follows Otis down into the underground train system is Capt. Murphy from the Lethal Weapon series, as soon as I heard him speak I knew it was him.

The only thing I wished for more of but only got a snippet was Terence Stamp as Zod, I did look for Superman II when I was there, but it was only on DVD, as soon as I see a 4K copy it's mine.

I always rated The Dark Knight as my fave comic book film - not anymore. This is timeless, and perfect.

Thank you Richard Donner.

10/10. Will watch again. And again.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I remember not paying any attention to Margot Kidder as a kid but being enamoured with Valerie Perrine, and yes Gene Hackman is great as always.