What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What name should Gold Coast Adopt?

What name should Gold Coast Adopt?

• Jets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heat

• Kings

• Devils

• Rhinos

• Stingrays

• Total voters

joshreading

Staff member
I am all for the Gold Coast Gladiators also breakers isn't too bad. I aure they could use breakers in Rugby League.

McSharkie said:
Maybe not, but there is no legal reason they couldn't take it.
I'd just like to welcome Perry Mason to the boards.

Mr Mason, can you explain to the readers how and when the laws of copyright and trademark were disbanded in Australia? Much thanks.

If the GC "dolphins" want to earn a single buck on merchandising, they're plum out of luck.

Macca

Coach
Where is "Gold Coast" Dolphins copyrighted? I had a feeling this would come up. If that is the case then how can Redcliffe have that mascot, wouldn't that breach international copyright laws with regard to the Miami Dolphins? That doesn't make sense. Your turn Sherlock.

Uggh.

They don't trade in the same market as the Miami Dolphins. There's no conflict of mark if you're not in competition. You need to show proximity of use as well as duplication of mark. Further the Miami Dolphins don't give a rats that Redcliffe exist, the same doesn't apply here.

Their mark would appear on official apparel and goods that a competitor is forbidden from using or trading off in an attempt to sell goods or services into the same market. If neither party wanted to sell any merchandise or service using their mark then there is no conflict. I doubt that is the case.

Houdini

First Grade
I would actually prefer to see them come up with something original - no dolphins, giants, jets etc

Breakers isn't a bad idea

Macca

Coach
Well, I might just look into this. I think they could do it from a legal point of view. I'll get back to you.

NPK

Bench
Lets think of a more original name than Dolphins. I know no name will be completely original, but I don't want it (if it even becomes a club) to be called Dolphins or something American like Gold Coast Jazz :roll:

Roosterphin

Juniors
McSharkie said:
Well, I might just look into this. I think they could do it from a legal point of view. I'll get back to you.

Macguppy who cares if legally they can do it they WONT. Redcliffe are a strong club and there is no way the QRU will want to p*ss them off.

weasel

First Grade
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see the club take the name of any of the Queensland Cup sides. I'm fuming at the Devils option in the poll. :x

NPK

Bench
Roosterphin said:
What about the Gold Coast highrises and overcrowded dirty beaches

...or Gold Coast Skyscrapers or Gold Coast Ironmen

I suspect they will probably end up being called something non beachy/topical like the Giants.

Kingytek

Juniors
weasel said:
Yeah, I wouldn't like to see the club take the name of any of the Queensland Cup sides. I'm fuming at the Devils option in the poll. :x

Yeah, My Bad!!!! :roll:

Kingytek

Juniors
I was thinking about putting in the polls Gold Coast 'Drunken Schoolies' or 'Drugged up Unemployed Surfer Bums' . That really represents the area

Latest posts