What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What pisses you off the most in the NRL at the moment?

Norths Tiger

Juniors
That I could develop a group of juniors into the best team in the league, then be forced to cheat if I want my club to reap the benefits of the investment I've made. Absolutely f**king ludicrous!!

Not really. Clubs have known they can't reap ALL the benefits of extensive junior development for a long time now. It might not be right, but that's how it is.

The problem here though is the Storm paid a major amount for some of these juniors (e.g. Hoffman $200k from Wests aged 17). Thanks New$. No salary cap on juniors, but there is on first grade.

Really, when the Storm kept much of their (high-priced as juniors) team together, this was a train wreck waiting to happen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The thing that annoys me the most is that the NRL admin making our game look bad when they admit other codes are a real threat.

If they stayed positive and not worry about other codes our game could be better.

Other things that annoy me:

*Rules that change every year that didnt need to be changed
*Sticking with the U20's, even though its really sh*t.
*Channel 9's coverage
*The media only publishing negatives in our game
*NSW selectors

dragon_around

Juniors
Not really. Clubs have known they can't reap ALL the benefits of extensive junior development for a long time now. It might not be right, but that's how it is.

The problem here though is the Storm paid a major amount for some of these juniors (e.g. Hoffman $200k from Wests aged 17). Thanks New$. No salary cap on juniors, but there is on first grade.

Really, when the Storm kept much of their (high-priced as juniors) team together, this was a train wreck waiting to happen.
If the Storm simply wanted to keep their wonderful home grown talent (oh my heart weeps for them), they would not have bought Brett Finch midseason last year...

So the argument that they are the victims goes out the window when they start throwing money at other players they had nothing to do in developing. That money could've been used to keep what they had...

DC_fan

Coach
My biggest complaint is that there is no forward planning for the game. The NRL should have some idea on what it sees the game being like in ten or twenty years from now.

Right now they have no idea what game will look like next year let alone 2020. A real lack of vision.

Two things that annoy me on field:

When a player drops the ball and then holds up his finger and says "one set"

Or

When a player is holding down a tackled player and looking back over his shoulder at the ref.......get off already.

Mr Saab

Referee
People who get hit and stay on the ground like they have been shot....Hayne is prime offender number one...and Fui after he was hit by White and then got up 2 mins later and looked 100%.

tkr

Juniors
That I could develop a group of juniors into the best team in the league, then be forced to cheat if I want my club to reap the benefits of the investment I've made. Absolutely f**king ludicrous!!

This is the most overused excuse I have heard this year. Melbourne are no different to most other NRL clubs in having U20's players make 1st grade. Look at the Broncos this year. Penrith and the Eels are other teams off the top of my head (and the Warriors) that have developed a lot of local talent over the years.

Most of the big name Melbourne players came from Queensland or NSW comp clubs or from other NRL clubs.

Granted they developed into a great team but the continued insinuation is that the players are all from Melbourne and were groomed from a young age.

When a player is holding down a tackled player and looking back over his shoulder at the ref.......get off already.

I agree with that one. As soon as they look back at the ref or the defensive line it should be an automatic penalty.

Other things that sh*t me:
  • Channel 9 which seems to target the bogan yobbo in the way it presents the game
  • inconsistency of the refs, video refs and judiciary
  • different rules for stars compared to other players
  • the refs' constant "movement, movement, hold, hold" chatter - ffs, let the players figure it out for themselves and penalise if they can't
  • players appealing for penalties every 2nd tackle
  • the contract dealings of players all season - there should be limited windows where this can happen, almost entirely after season end
But the biggest one of all is the lack of vuvuzelas at games. At least the noise they make would make the sub-10k crowds sound more respectable. :lol:

Knightmare

Coach
- The obsession with night football. Honestly, in the middle of winter, sitting on the hill in the freezing cold is what stops many people from going to the game. How f**king hard is it to include more day games in the schedule?

- Monday Night Football.

- When commentators are talking up a coming fixture and then say "Make a date with your couch." Because sitting on your arse contributes so much more to the game and its' atmosphere than actually attending... :roll:

- How often clubs are allowed to change their jerseys. At least AFL teams respect tradition and keep theirs the same year after year.

- When commentators call Brisbane "The home of Rugby League". Are they taking the piss or are they really that geniused? Give Brisbane another 6 teams all pulling 30k every fortnight and then maybe they'll have a point.

- The bum deal anyone who doesn't live in NSW or Qld gets from the NRL and its' media partners.

- People idolising a woman bashing piece of sh*t like Greg Inglis or a dirty, grubby little merkin like William Slater.

- Parents who are such poor role-models that they think it is the duty of a 25 year old cashed up muscly bloke who happens to be good at playing footy to educate their kids.

- How the NRL continues to get screwed over in TV rights deal and Dave uuummmmmm Gallop just ummmmmmmmm tries uhhhhhh to justify it.

- Phil Gould and how News Ltd. would rather play the man than the ball. His full name is Phillip Ronald Gould. My god, how embarrassing, what a slight on the man that that is his name. His opinion is worth nought on those grounds alone! :crazy:

- On the above point, Phil Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambretta

First Grade
If the Storm simply wanted to keep their wonderful home grown talent (oh my heart weeps for them), they would not have bought Brett Finch midseason last year...

So the argument that they are the victims goes out the window when they start throwing money at other players they had nothing to do in developing. That money could've been used to keep what they had...

Are serious? :lol:

Brett Finch WAS DUMPED by Parramatta and was off contract. He was told to go to England. No one else in the NRL wanted him.

Finch was signed for literally nothing. His money started this year and the Storm had already told him before this blew up that he couldnt play for them beyond 2010 because of cap pressures.

f**k me, some people either have short memories or make comments without knowing the facts.

S.R.

Juniors
The referees. Inconsistent.

Video Referee. Are there guidelines of when to use it and when not to?