What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should we do with Kearney? #2

What should we do with Kearney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HevyDevy

Coach
See post #185

None of that counts for shit if your head coach can't coach the NRL side.

You know my opinion of 3P, yet despite that I have repeatedly said that SK, like any coach, should be given three years to prove himself.

The problem is that we are going backwards fast and in the salary cap era there is no excuse for a side to be as purely horrible as we are.

Suitman

Post Whore
None of that counts for shit if your head coach can't coach the NRL side.

You know my opinion of 3P, yet despite that I have repeatedly said that SK, like any coach, should be given three years to prove himself.

The problem is that we are going backwards fast and in the salary cap era there is no excuse for a side to be as purely horrible as we are.

Yep, I agree.

Suity

Someone

Bench
Of course I f**king can. :roll::x
I've been following this mob since the early 70's.
I'm just not prepared to race off and be a sook this time.
We've made horrible mistakes in the past and no doubt we'll make them again in the future. Maybe we've even made them now.
I just think it would be the worst decision we could make to f**k around now with something that could seriously pay dividends in years to come.

Tell me Korny, what plan(s) did Hagan or Anderson have to ensure the long term future of this club?
Do you not rate Brad Arthur?
Do you think Peter Nolan is just talking out of his arse regarding future recruitment and retention policies, and preparing the best possible juniors we can obtain and fast tracking them to first grade? Why do you think the Broncos have so many great young talented players playing NRL?

Mate, I'm f**king ropable that we are last.
I must have spent 60 minutes of yesterdays game with my head in my hands, and walked away thinking that the last 13 minutes was just a gallon of No More Gaps.
But, I've faith that we've got a brighter future than we've seen since the 80's, and I'm not prepared to be reactionary and throw the hope away.

Sure, things are shit and we are shit. If it takes till 2014-15 to win a comp, I'll wait.
Tell me who's going to bring us one before then anyway?
No guarantee Kearney will, but there's no guarantee anyone else will either.

Suity

This. But our goal shouldnt be to 'win the comp', it should be to be highly competitve (top 4) for a couple of years in a row, 2013 (doubt it) ,2014,2015,2016, being up the top will eventually pay off and we will win the premership.

This isnt NRL2, you cant out the settings on easy and buy who you want and win a comp. it takes time, effort, years of work etc...

take the last 12 years of premership winning sides for example...
2000- Broncos - made finals every year up until 2008 i think so no wonder they got there

2001 - Knights had a highly competitve run between 1997-2001, accumulating with victory in both 97 and 01. Andrews johns enough said.

2002- Roosters started a 3 years power run in 02 under new coach ricky stuart, winning it in 02, losing the GF in 03 and 04. Roosters players had finals experience and a GF experience already though participating the in the 2000 GF and the 2001 finals series.

2003- Panthers come out of nowhere to win it. had the team performing at the right time etc, everything came together.

2004 - The bulldogs had the right side to win it for a couple of years, 2002 was striped from them and 2003 hey finished 3rd. years of hard work.

2005- Tigers come from nowhere to win it, benji marshall plus prince and young side that worked well together.

2006- Broncos finished 3rd in both 04 and 05 put it accumilated in GF victory in 06, ironically against a young storm side. years of hard work from the broncos.

2007- Storm win it. accumilation of years of work from bellemy and co. id say 3-4 years of hard work.

2008- Manly win it after making the finals since 2005. years of hard work under hasler.

2009- Storm win it...

2010- Dragons win it, competitve since bennent arrived. years of hard work.

2011. Manly win it - more so a lack of competition in GF/finals tbh, storm should have won this. regardless manly didnt just come from nowhere.

It takes years of hardwork to get competitve, years of hardwork being competitve to win a comp. Ladies and gentlemen, the hardwork began in 2011/2012 so we are just starting out. im sure if you investigated this closer youd realise some of these teams were to an extend shithouse before being dominant...

Last edited:

woddy

Juniors
BS as coaching director I could handle that with another coach but wonder if he'd be better suited on the club board ,would he be eligible if he wanted a shot after his years of service?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Did the fact that we can't play tip you off?

It will be fantastic having lots of juniors coming through. I think Nolan is the man to do this. But what's Kearney going to do with them.
We have a pretty good side now with Sandow, Hayne, Tonga, Mannah, Fui, but Kearney can't seem to get anywhere with them.
I'm just not convinced Kearneys the best man for the job.

Eels Dude

Coach
I believe we dont currently have a coaching director.

So why is this new position being created and what is the difference between a CD and a Coach.

I'd assume the coaching director would oversee the general structure of coaching from first grade down to Harold Matts and SG Ball, allowing the head coach to focus just on the NRL side.

bartman

Immortal
And Bart (different post), next time you are at the club, make an effort to have a chat with Peter Nolan.
Then decide whether you think we are heading in the wrong direction or not.

Suity
Thanks for the advice Suity. I'm sure Nolan is very thorough about his role - he has runs on the board and I'd expect nothing less.

But the issue and this thread is about the head coach, and his ability to coach the first grade squad to some improvement and results. Is there a reason why Nolan/Nolan's role and the Academy concept can't simply continue their progress under a different head coach? Maybe just bring in a first grade coach that is up to the job in Kearney's place, and we'll have the best of both worlds.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Thanks for the advice Suity. I'm sure Nolan is very thorough about his role - he has runs on the board and I'd expect nothing less.

But the issue and this thread is about the head coach, and his ability to coach the first grade squad to some improvement and results. Is there a reason why Nolan/Nolan's role and the Academy concept can't simply continue their progress under a different head coach? Maybe just bring in a first grade coach that is up to the job in Kearney's place, and we'll have the best of both worlds.

this.

IFR33K

Coach

Stop talking sense. You'll confuse a few doing so.

bartman

Immortal
I'd assume that would be the hope behind making such an appointment, in our current predicament...?