What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should we do with Kearney? #2

What should we do with Kearney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still think we sack him.

To be honest, I just don't see us offering anything when we go out to play. A bit of off-the-cuff brilliance gets us our points from the likes of HaHa and Roberts, and occasionally we jag a try from a play. Really, though, it is pretty obvious to me that we're not being taught anything which means we're not being coached well.

I don't see any improvement from players, apart from Keating.

I see poor team selection. Lasalo, anyone?

I'll also stick with Burt because even though Blair muscles up when running the ball back he clearly has very little ability to find the line and is regularly making a blunder of what should be standard fare for a winger. I know he is only a rookie but we can't afford to keep someone who isn't showing competence with the basic elements of first grade.

We will improve, sure. In essence, Sandow will improve and we'll do a little better because of that. Despite this, we're not even close to being contenders for the finals and actually seem to have gone backwards from last year.

I find this unacceptable. In my opinion, Kearney must go. I'd bring in Jason Taylor but I wouldn't in any way argue with the previous suggestion of Stone. Personally, I wouldn't look to Stuart as his record is terrible.

Forty20

First Grade
What if Kearney turns it around and by the end of the year we finish outside the 8, do we still punt him and find a replacement?

In the event that we are steam-rolling teams (or in general, just playing good footy) in the latter parts of this year and we miss out on the 8, Kearney should see out his third year to determine whether he has finally got the team running smoothly or if the form was just a dead-cat bounce.

The arguments from both sides have merit. Firstly, our club does need some stability and Kearney does have an established long term plan. We are not privy to most of the details of this plan, so it is a matter of trusting in Kearney...which right now is a tough one. He has shown himself to be an astute manager of club resources from Harold Matts and up and has brought in Peter Nolan to establish a system that does not simply retain our best juniors but will have them ready to play first grade somewhere between 18 to 20 years of age.

The worst thing we could do is sack him and replace him with another rookie or mediocre first grade coach...the likes of which, unfortunately, are prevalent in the NRL. That said, we do need to see results and thus far on the field it has been pretty abysmal. We did punch above our weight in 2011 but the competitive platform that we seemed to lay last year has not so much eroded away as completely collapsed this year.

Kearney has made a bold decision to drop Burt and promote Cheyse Blair and Ken Sio. This is a decision that I am 100% happy with as not only does it invest in future seasons but they have both proven themselves to be capable first graders...at the very least to the extent that I doubt any one could seriously argue that Burty would be offering a genuine upgrade over them.

Roberts has proven himself to be a good acquisition and despite a few mistakes, he has never stopped trying and has given us a genuine option besides Hayne down the left flank as well as bringing us a decent kicking game. We haven't seen an immediate return on investment from Willie Tonga and Chris Sandow but it is far too early to write either off as bad buys. Blair also counts as a positive in the recruitment department but alas alot of the depth Kearney recruited in the off-season in Tautai, Penese and Smith have failed to apply pressure on an ailing first grade side.

There are a few immediate problems. The first is our troublesome second centre slot, which neither Esi Tonga nor Ryan Morgan seem capable to filling, the second is Kearney's use of and rotation policy involving Casey Maguire and finally there is the largest problem in the very nature of our game-day structures. There are some fairly fundamental problems with both our offence and defence, which has seen us get absolutely belted on some occasions and cost us a few games that were ripe for the taking on others.

Finally, recruitment becomes tougher for Kearney with every sub-standard performance we put in. Whether we actually wanted them or not our club has been linked with a few major signings that have come and gone this season and we are still without anyone of note for 2013. There have been mixed reports of how much we have to spend next year and most of the forum news is of people we aren't looking to sign. I am not fussed that we are not constantly fed leaks of who we are signing but the player market is drying up fairly quickly and as of yet our signings total zero.

TLDR

Kearney should see out his contract, especially if the season ends with good form that carries through to the start of 2013 and beyond. That said, if things aren't as rosy, the club should definitely place out quiet feelers to potentially nab someone like Bellamy (or Hasler/Bennet in the event the opportunity arises). We can not sack Kearney and replace him with another middle of the line coach.

Hopefully the team will recharge, heal up and do some soul searching over the week off and put our season back on track against the Tigers.

Last edited:

tresurehunt

Juniors
i actually like when he shows a bit of emotion (presser) 1st time we've really seen him fire up a little.

Eels Dude

Coach
In the event that we are steam-rolling teams (or in general, just playing good footy) in the latter parts of this year and we miss out on the 8, Kearney should see out his third year to determine whether he has finally got the team running smoothly or if the form was just a dead-cat bounce.

That's too little to late IMO. He needs to get them winning games when it matters. Winning a few consolation games when our season is already over to get us 16th to say 13th shows nothing.

Suitman

Post Whore
That's too little to late IMO. He needs to get them winning games when it matters. Winning a few consolation games when our season is already over to get us 16th to say 13th shows nothing.

It'll show a lot if they can take that winning form into 2013.

Good post Forty20

Suity

Forty20

First Grade

It'll show a lot if they can take that winning form into 2013.

Good post Forty20

Suity

To paraphrase Suity, the proviso is that we not only turn it round in the last 4-6 games but carry it through the start of the following season.

We all want to see a reversal of form as soon as possible and it can certainly happen coming off the global bye but the origin period is going to hurt us badly. I know we have recruited to take pressure off Hayne but the fact remains that Hayne IS Parramatta. He is carrying the team on his shoulders and with him and potentially Mannah and Tonga in the mix to earn Origin jerseys our team is going to be stretched very thin.

Anyway, chins up. We, as supporters, have got a week off to lower our blood pressure and prolong our lives. Then it is right back into the trenches against the Tigers.

Suitman

Post Whore
Let me ask you a question. If come that the next Winter Solstice we are still struggling (gods be merciful) what will we have gained apart from a warm fuzzy feeling we gave a rookie every chance and the possibility that Wenty might be going well due to the academy structure?

We will have given the coach a full measure of a chance, and that might mean we have kept some "stability" at the club.

If the only reason for keeping him is stability, due to the fact we will be losing 28% of our roster who have 48% of NRL experience. But if we are still under performing, what will be the cost of that stability?

Mate, I just see the whole "sack him now!" argument as being counterproductive to the club as a whole. I still think Kearney is the man to take us forward. It's hard to explain why, but I just do. Results wise, I have absolutely no basis for my argument, but I dunno, call it a gut feeling if you will. I actually don't hope we will improve, I actually think we will. The only thing that worries me somewhat is our seemingly total reliance on Hayne. We have to overcome this obstacle more than any other.

Suity

Tooooks

Bench
I'd still give him until the end of this season. If he can turn things around to some extent (maybe top 10-12. Top 8 is no longer realistic), then I'd have no problem with him staying on for 2013.

It's hard to see it happening though. He has shown nothing as a coach and it's a mystery to me how any club can sign a rookie coach for the money he's allegedly on.

lingard

Coach
I would love to vote, but there is no option to keep him on for the rest of the year and go appoint another coach for next year. Give the other coach the full powers of retention and after Mad Monday give Kearney a big cheque and a hearty handshake and wish him all the best.

That sounds great. But too sensible for this club. I think they know they made a huge mistake in sacking Daniel Anderson for this untested coach on his training wheels. To sack Kearney would be a public admission of that mistake. I think they are just desperately hoping that things will come good. (I don`t think they will under Kearney.)

Parra Pride

Referee
I'd still give him until the end of this season. If he can turn things around to some extent (maybe top 10-12. Top 8 is no longer realistic), then I'd have no problem with him staying on for 2013.

Top 8 is no longer realistic? People told me the same thing midway through 2009, but I shouldn't have to tell you what happened that year.

#AlwaysKeepTheFaith

Gronk

Staff member
Props to Kearney for dropping the dirty QLDer Sandow to NSW Cup. Look for the $500k star to set up 5 tries and score 3, kick 10 goals. No pressure.

True EEL

Bench
Wasn't it Delboy who said "long term posters" no longer come here because the forum has turned to s**t apparently.

well i might not post every few minutes like some posters here (no, not pointing to you, just using your post to highlight a point), but I started on this forum in mid 2004 and things were much, much better here then. You could have your opinion and not be completely ridiculed for expressing it....so i completely agree with that sentiment from Delboy (if accurate)

Latest posts