What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Colk

First Grade
Not only that but it also must be a shit sport for kids to play. We`ve seen on tv with the aflw what rubbish it is if the participants can`t catch or kick very far, triple that for kids afl I imagine.

I think their greatest strength, ironically, is that it is not a very skilful game. That makes it easier for anybody to play the game which in turn helps them with participation rates. For example, Mr and Mrs Smith for example would not have to worry about their little boy or girl being terrible at the game and losing confidence because it is so easy to play

Pippen94

First Grade
I think their greatest strength, ironically, is that it is not a very skilful game. That makes it easier for anybody to play the game which in turn helps them with participation rates. For example, Mr and Mrs Smith for example would not have to worry about their little boy or girl being terrible at the game and losing confidence because it is so easy to play

That's not true. Look how NRL players went like israel, while players in NRL with afl background bring higher kicking skills

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I`ve never seen an kids afl game so I`m only speculating but surely there has to be a limit to the amount of rubbish any parent ( or even kid for that matter ) could bear. 36 kids on the field in a great big bunch with the ball ricocheting around, christ it must be a sight.

Colk

First Grade
That's not true. Look how NRL players went like israel, while players in NRL with afl background bring higher kicking skills

What players with AFL background?

I’m not saying there aren’t challenges with playing that game, one would be greater spatial awareness but you are buying into their mythology by believing that it is a highly skilled game.

Secondly, it is a lot more favourable in terms of athleticism. Of course you have to be fit to run continuously but in terms of athleticism, parents don’t have to be concerned about their kids running up against somebody twice their size.

Pippen94

First Grade
What players with AFL background?

I’m not saying there aren’t challenges with playing that game, one would be greater spatial awareness but you are buying into their mythology by believing that it is a highly skilled game.

Secondly, it is a lot more favourable in terms of athleticism. Of course you have to be fit to run continuously but in terms of athleticism, parents don’t have to be concerned about their kids running up against somebody twice their size.

Watch rugby players kick afl ball at park. All sports require unique skills. Hate it when fans attack other codes by saying other sport is stupid or requires less skills.

Colk

First Grade
Watch rugby players kick afl ball at park. All sports require unique skills. Hate it when fans attack other codes by saying other sport is stupid or requires less skills.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not true. All I said was that it requires less skill than what those AFL commentators wish to proselytise.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not true. All I said was that it requires less skill than what those AFL commentators wish to proselytise.
Whenever I flick pass the afl on Tv it cracks me up the almost weekly renaming the commentators have for kicks and passes.
Last week I heard commentators variously use the expressions for passing as: " drive-by handball ", " low-ball ", " ground-ball " and " hot-handball ".
Kicks I have heard described as " high-balls ", " low-balls ", " sky-balls "and " dribblers ".
This need to continually rename a basic skill of the game leads me to suspect that it is a futile attempt to present the game as being far more skilled based than it actually is.

Colk

First Grade
Whenever I flick pass the afl on Tv it cracks me up the almost weekly renaming the commentators have for kicks and passes.
Last week I heard commentators variously use the expressions for passing as: " drive-by handball ", " low-ball ", " ground-ball " and " hot-handball ".
Kicks I have heard described as " high-balls ", " low-balls ", " sky-balls "and " dribblers ".
This need to continually rename a basic skill of the game leads me to suspect that it is a futile attempt to present the game as being far more skilled based than it actually is.

Of course it is. It is a cult.

I used to live down in Victoria when I was a child so I totally understand how they view it. They truly believe it is the most skilful game there is.

Now I will contend, like any sport there are skills to learn and challenges et al but their views on the game are so far outside of how a neutral would view it, it is crazy.

To me, unlike league, it has the accessibility of soccer (anybody in any shape can play it) however in comparison to soccer, there is far less skill involved. Essentially it is a game based on effort, good fitness and the most important thing, good spatial awareness

Wb1234

Referee
League players are by far the best football players in Australia

league players have made it in super rugby, English club rugby, Japan, the Wallabies all blacks England and Italy.

they made it in afl and nfl (as a running back no less)

no afl player could make it in the nrl. And most established union players would struggle in the nrl

league churns out these superior athletes year after year

based on relative skill levels if the best afl player is getting 1 million then the best nrl player should be 2 million

Wb1234

Referee
Of course it is. It is a cult.

I used to live down in Victoria when I was a child so I totally understand how they view it. They truly believe it is the most skilful game there is.

Now I will contend, like any sport there are skills to learn and challenges et al but their views on the game are so far outside of how a neutral would view it, it is crazy.

To me, unlike league, it has the accessibility of soccer (anybody in any shape can play it) however in comparison to soccer, there is far less skill involved. Essentially it is a game based on effort, good fitness and the most important thing, good spatial awareness
There isn’t a skill an afl player has that a league player doesn’t have. Their game is based on punts I would back league players their.

afl players try but they can’t really tackle.

Wasn't there a contest that pitted athletes from various sports against one another?

If my memory is correct then the winner was a rugby league player from the NRL and the fumbleballer from AwFuL got beat by a f**ken touring car driver.

I wonder if afl fans talk about rl as much as some people on here do about afl lol?
AwFuL fans have delusions of grandeur and are willfully ignorant of anything that doesn't involve a thousand fumbles on a cricket field, so I'm guessing no.

mongoose

Coach
Wasn't there a contest that pitted athletes from various sports against one another?

If my memory is correct then the winner was a rugby league player from the NRL and the fumbleballer from AwFuL got beat by a f**ken touring car driver.

AwFuL fans have delusions of grandeur and are willfully ignorant of anything that doesn't involve a thousand fumbles on a cricket field, so I'm guessing no.
Rexona greatest athlete challenge or something. Billy Slater won it 2 years in a row and yes the AFL contestants performed poorly. I think Quade Cooper (union) won it the 3rd year.

Colk

First Grade
League players are by far the best football players in Australia

league players have made it in super rugby, English club rugby, Japan, the Wallabies all blacks England and Italy.

they made it in afl and nfl (as a running back no less)

no afl player could make it in the nrl. And most established union players would struggle in the nrl

league churns out these superior athletes year after year

based on relative skill levels if the best afl player is getting 1 million then the best nrl player should be 2 million

Depends.

A lot of their forwards wouldn’t make it because of the different body shapes.

Regards their backs, I would probably also agree regards the statement with Australian Union players (although some could make it) as the Wallabies are awful. Regards the All Blacks, however, and generally Kiwi/Pacific Union players, I reckon a lot of their backs could make it.

Wb1234

Referee

Yeh billy slater won it two years in a row

then way back there was the boxing matches between league and afl where all the afl players were flogged

can’t remember who meaninga knocked out but it was pretty good

Wb1234

Referee
Depends.

A lot of their forwards wouldn’t make it because of the different body shapes.

Regards their backs, I would probably also agree regards the statement with Australian Union players (although some could make it) as the Wallabies are awful. Regards the All Blacks, however, and generally Kiwi/Pacific Union players, I reckon a lot of their backs could make it.
Sam burgess played centre in a union World Cup

he’s got bad hands bad step and can’t kick

they would get exposed with the pace of the game

maybe after a season they could get used to the pace of the game but they would still be easy targets to pick out in attack. They aren’t used to the workload of league

Colk

First Grade
Sam burgess played centre in a union World Cup

he’s got bad hands bad step and can’t kick

they would get exposed with the pace of the game

maybe after a season they could get used to the pace of the game but they would still be easy targets to pick out in attack. They aren’t used to the workload of league

Not a real good example as Sam Burgess didn’t make it in their game.

I look at some of the athletes who have played for the All Blacks and I think they would definitely be up to it physically. The big thing would be the workload but somebody who is quick, over 6ft and 90 - 100 plus kilos would be fine from an athletic point of view.

Some Rugby Union halfbacks and flyhalfs could make it from an attack perspective but defence is the big problem as they tend to be a little smaller than league halfbacks/five eighths.

Even potentially some loose forwards or flankers (but they have to have pace and aerobic capacity) although they wouldn’t be as effective in league as they are in union of course.

The ones who would have no chance of converting would be union props or locks. Too slow and too big (some of them are over 130kgs)

Wb1234

Referee
Not a real good example as Sam Burgess didn’t make it in their game.

I look at some of the athletes who have played for the All Blacks and I think they would definitely be up to it physically. The big thing would be the workload but somebody who is quick, over 6ft and 90 - 100 plus kilos would be fine from an athletic point of view.

Some Rugby Union halfbacks and flyhalfs could make it from an attack perspective but defence is the big problem as they tend to be a little smaller than league halfbacks/five eighths.

Even potentially some loose forwards or flankers (but they have to have pace and aerobic capacity) although they wouldn’t be as effective in league as they are in union of course.

The ones who would have no chance of converting would be union props or locks. Too slow and too big (some of them are over 130kgs)
The way league is getting them young is the best way

there was a union guy in England ,,,, Burrell was his name. Yes he was old but he switched to league and couldn’t make it in super league

your probably right maybe some could make it in the nrl but the failure rate would be high

I don’t think the talent today in union is really very good tbh. Wasn’t karibote voted one of the best players in union ?

and burgess did fairly well in union he was scoring tries.

Colk

First Grade
The way league is getting them young is the best way

there was a union guy in England ,,,, Burrell was his name. Yes he was old but he switched to league and couldn’t make it in super league

your probably right maybe some could make it in the nrl but the failure rate would be high

I don’t think the talent today in union is really very good tbh. Wasn’t karibote voted one of the best players in union ?

and burgess did fairly well in union he was scoring tries.

You’re definitely right there. Get them whilst they are young

Again it depends. Looking at Union in Australia, I wouldn’t think many would make it. Korobite (spelling) and maybe a couple of other backs

If you are wanting the highest conversion rate, it would be their wingers and fullbacks, followed by their centres. Somebody like the Kiwi fullback Bueden Barrett would definitely make it - he’s a freak. Blokes like Tana Umanga or Dan Carter definitely would have made it in the past as well

Latest posts