What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Wb1234

Referee
I’d be more thrilled to support a winning team lol. If my team was winning premierships I really wouldn’t care where they all played u16’s.
You’ll never understand then what Penrith are doing now then I guess. At least the storm get them as juniors and develop them since Victoria has no players

but clubs like the roosters who just buy other players developed stars to win premierships isn’t for me

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’ll never understand then what Penrith are doing now then I guess. At least the storm get them as juniors and develop them since Victoria has no players

but clubs like the roosters who just buy other players developed stars to win premierships isn’t for me
Haha, yeh liked you’d be sat at a gf going oh this is sht us winning the comp without any jnrs. Yeh right.

Wb1234

Referee
Haha, yeh liked you’d be sat at a gf going oh this is sht us winning the comp without any jnrs. Yeh right.
Well since your a storm fan you would say that

and hull kr probably haven’t won one in your lifetime

and never will

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well since your a storm fan you would say that

and hull kr probably haven’t won one in your lifetime

and never will
Fortunately I’m old enough that I was going to craven park when hkr were the best team in the world. Guess what when I was watching them lift trophies I didn’t care where the players were born! Pretty sure if you ask sharks fans they dont care that there one and only premiership was won by Importing key players. Its not the 70’s no one gives a sht where players were born or played as kids Other than dinosaurs who live in the past.

Wb1234

Referee
Fortunately I’m old enough that I was going to craven park when hkr were the best team in the world. Guess what when I was watching them lift trophies I didn’t care where the players were born! Pretty sure if you ask sharks fans they dont care that there one and only premiership was won by Importing key players. Its not the 70’s no one gives a sht where players were born or played as kids Other than dinosaurs who live in the past.
Penrith do.

It’s why other clubs are now trying to copy this

Perth Red

Post Whore
Penrith do.

It’s why other clubs are now trying to copy this
Moments in time. The test of penrith system will be when most of that squad have moved on in a few years and if theyve been able to maintain that success By bringing through the new batch to replace them, or of this is a flash in the pan moment in time where they got lucky with a lot of talent coming through at once.

Wb1234

Referee
Moments in time. The test of penrith system will be when most of that squad have moved on in a few years and if theyve been able to maintain that success By bringing through the new batch to replace them, or of this is a flash in the pan moment in time where they got lucky with a lot of talent coming through at once.
Yeh they’ve lost five ? good first grade players and the have gotten stronger this year

when you invest in junior systems it means there is a production line to replace the ones you lose

since Penrith are the new benchmark (as opposed to the storm or roosters, clubs who can’t produce much of their own juniors) more clubs will be copying the panthers

Perth Red

Post Whore
Y
Yeh they’ve lost five ? good first grade players and the have gotten stronger this year

when you invest in junior systems it means there is a production line to replace the ones you lose

since Penrith are the new benchmark (as opposed to the storm or roosters, clubs who can’t produce much of their own juniors) more clubs will be copying the panthers
Yeh all you need is pokie den that can chuck millions at it, be based in the biggest participation area in the country and be in a region where heaps of pi and kiwi people live. Good luck everyone lol

Wb1234

Referee
Y

Yeh all you need is pokie den that can chuck millions at it, be based in the biggest participation area in the country and be in a region where heaps of pi and kiwi people live. Good luck everyone lol
Ok if all those are required then we really shouldn’t give Perth a team then

they have none of those and you know the arlc is all about new teams producing juniors

Pippen94

First Grade

They replace talent time & time again. History of club & region.

The_Frog

First Grade
There is an element of truth in this, just as there was with the great Parra, Canberra, Manly, Canterbury and Souths sides of the past. Getting a good crop all at the same time. Still, so long as we can keep the nucleus of our side and bring juniors through on less than their true worth on rookie contracts, we'll continue to make the top 4 pretty much indefinitely. Nothing to do with pokies. Panthers Group and Governments rake it in from those.

Y

So you're saying Easts should build a couple of Leagues clubs in Springwood and Logan Central then apply for an NRL licence?

What will they be called?

Logan Cannons?
Logan Gunners?
Lohan Hitmen?
Logan Lancers?
Logan Legion?
Logan Scorpions?
Logan Shooters?

I like the sound of this.

Colk

First Grade
There is an element of truth in this, just as there was with the great Parra, Canberra, Manly, Canterbury and Souths sides of the past. Getting a good crop all at the same time. Still, so long as we can keep the nucleus of our side and bring juniors through on less than their true worth on rookie contracts, we'll continue to make the top 4 pretty much indefinitely. Nothing to do with pokies. Panthers Group and Governments rake it in from those.

Look I think you should be regularly in the upper part of the ladder but I’ve seen this before.

When Canberra, Newcastle or Brisbane, which like Penrith have big junior nurseries, were flying high there was a common thought that they would just stay at the top but look at how they all went backwards.

It only takes a few years of bad stewardship, some financial troubles or bad talent identification to bring a club back to the pack. The big one I think is how you replace Cleary, as he is your generational talent

Colk

First Grade
So you're saying Easts should build a couple of Leagues clubs in Springwood and Logan Central then apply for an NRL licence?

What will they be called?

Logan Cannons?
Logan Gunners?
Lohan Hitmen?
Logan Lancers?
Logan Legion?
Logan Scorpions?
Logan Shooters?

I like the sound of this.

How big is Logan? Would you be able to join it to other areas?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok if all those are required then we really shouldn’t give Perth a team then

they have none of those and you know the arlc is all about new teams producing juniors
If the sole criteria for having an nrl club was that, then yes you might have a point, but it isnt so you don’t. The two most successful clubs of the modern era prove you dont need that model.

flippikat

Bench
Of

Of course they do. Would you like to see any Queensland side full of players who aren’t Queenslanders

when bennett set up the beoncos they were proudly a Queensland club with few nsw players

wouldnt a cowboys side full of kids from North Queensland be great
You're mixing examples.

REP footy means "Representative Football" - you play for a state you came from, or country you qualify via citizenship, residency or descent. You REPRESENT that place, because of your ties to that place.

Club footy is different. It's as much about who pays you more, who can give you game time, who has an appealing coach, as much as any link to the club (being a junior from there, supporting that club as a kid etc). Most professional clubs recruit from all over the place.

The_Frog

First Grade
If the sole criteria for having an nrl club was that, then yes you might have a point, but it isnt so you don’t. The two most successful clubs of the modern era prove you dont need that model.
Roosters and Storm both scout their juniors. Panthers do it too, even though we get a good proportion from the local areas. You do need to do this or else you are paying overs.

Roosters in particular also buy (poach) superstars. It's worked so far but I'm not convinced they'll remain one of the most successful clubs of the modern era without bringing juniors up at less than their true value.

Colk

First Grade
Roosters and Storm both scout their juniors. Panthers do it too, even though we get a good proportion from the local areas. You do need to do this or else you are paying overs.

Roosters in particular also buy (poach) superstars. It's worked so far but I'm not convinced they'll remain one of the most successful clubs of the modern era without bringing juniors up at less than their true value.

It’s worked for a long time. Too long in fact if you want to keep the status quo in relation to the salary cap