What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are NRL teams going to get serious about their sponsors?

MrSharky

Juniors
So what... it happened to just strike me, when I realised...

Kiwi said:
Go back to F1 nancy boy

So I didn't have much of a background in V8 supercars... big deal.

It's a pile of sh#t anyway...

icon6.gif
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Kiwi

First Grade
MrSharky said:
So what... it happened to just strike me, when I realised...

So I didn't have much of a background in V8 supercars... big deal.

It's a pile of sh#t anyway...

icon6.gif

But you are mr know it all.....

MrSharky said:
I am just about the biggest Formula 1 fan on the planet just so you know.. so I do know a bit about how motorsport agencies are run...

Clearly you know very little, I'd be surprised if you knew what a formula 1 car was without having to google it.

tommytomlin

Bench
Back to topic, I really don't get why a Petrochemicals company like JFTA is sponsoring the Tigers. Why do a Petrochemical company need such brand awareness? How many rugby league fans own companies which use Petrochemicals? Who sits at home, watches Friday Night Footy and says... "hey, I could go some Petrochemicals right now"? Surely their money would be better spent on industry marketing.

tommytomlin said:
Back to topic, I really don't get why a Petrochemicals company like JFTA is sponsoring the Tigers. Why do a Petrochemical company need such brand awareness? How many rugby league fans own companies which use Petrochemicals? Who sits at home, watches Friday Night Footy and says... "hey, I could go some Petrochemicals right now"? Surely their money would be better spent on industry marketing.
:lol: :lol: ROFLMAO

I see a perfect stand up material right there. Too bad JFTA no longer has its name emblazoned at the front of the Tigers jersey. The effect awould still be funny but not as big. Anyway...

A company will not sponsor a team for no reason. They're going to look at how much it will cost them and how much it will get them in return. They will also look at the image associated with the club and how it will affect the brand image of their product.

Proton is not a big player in the automotive industry anywhere in the world (not even Malaysians are under any illusion as to how their own company fares) but it's looking to boost that image in Australia and what's better than linking up to the current premiers? They had style, they had flair, and they were there looking for a sponsor.

Would Daimler Chrysler be a better option? Probably. Were they looking to increase exposure in the Australian market? Probably not. Would they spend a few million bucks to sponsor something whose majority of audience are unlikely to buy a Mercedes, a Chrysler, a Jeep or a Maybach? Absolutely not.

Bottom line is, club sponsorships rely heavily on the potential sponsor. Clubs need to find a company who's looking to gain market exposure, increase their sales, increase brand awareness and improve market positioning. They need to be able to convince the companies that by being asociated with their particular club, their products, image, etc will achieve some sort of gain in the market.

Just from my pedestrian observation, I see Mitsubishi Motor Company as a potential NRL sponsor. They have a brand new car, they're desperate for attention, they need to boost sales badly and they need to improve their image. The company's probably relying on the sales numbers of the 380 for dear life so exposure would be paramount. Unfortunately, the 380 is out just as the NRL season ended so the timing works against their favor. There's also the issue of tight financing with MMC being on the brink of collapse in the last several years.

Razor

Coach
Souths - Real Insurance...Great, another dinky finance company

I wouldn't call Real Insurance a dinky company.

Real Insurance are a great insurance company

Moffo

Referee
Razor said:
I wouldn't call Real Insurance a dinky company.

Real Insurance are a great insurance company

great insurance company? Can't use those words together!

But realistically, they aren't what you'd call a high profile company

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
El Diablo said:
if Moffo isn't impressed by their website they're dinky

:lol:

Moffo, you're a dumbass, what a pointless and stupid topic, started by a tool with nothing to back up what he says :lol:.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Moffo has penis envy.. that is all it is.... he "sees" the AFL clubs with big name sponsors and then thinks NRL clubs should have even bigger sponsors so he can say to all the AFL fans..."ours are better than yours"...

In the end as long as the money is there to keep the clubs and therefore the game moving forward, who really cares who sponsors them?....only Moffo it seems.

gaterooze

Bench
Moffo said:
A company that makes $10bn a year vs a company that makes $10m. Who do you think is more likely to pump out the million dollars?

That logic may seem like common sense, but in business practice is doesn't work that way.

A 10bn company will be well-established and has less need for promotion than a smaller upstart trying to penetrate a market and looking for maximum visibility.

The bigger company is not willing to pay as much as the smaller company, because they will get less value out of the promotion.

Everything in commerce is "costed" -- Coca Cola may value the promotion of a jersey sponsorship at $600k and be willing to pay that much, but to Mortgage House that same "product" may be worth $800k.

That's how it works. And a club is not going to knock back an extra 200 grand for a bit of "prestige."

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FFS El and others, how about paying attention to the argument and looking at it as a serious point he's trying to make instead of seeing the username 'Moffo' and automatically taking up a contrary position. He actually has a point, corporately some NRL teams are run like whorehouses and it's a f**king joke *boom tish*. The point isn't about the amount of money offered in each individual deal, you're completely missing it. Yes, sponsorship is about money but it's also about profile and THAT is what moff is getting at.

Ultimately, people are going to notice and appreciate big name companies they know and hear of on a team's jersey. Seeing Toyota, LG, Samsung, Mitsubishi, I can see and so can many that they're a classy company. Herbal World, JFTA, Real, Fone Zone, Delmege, Mortgage House, all appear (to me anyway) tacky and slightly second rate on jerseys. I don't mind Pirtek particularly, blends well on the Parra jersey seeing as two of their colours are Parra's. A lot of it is about the look and companies that ave that look, are less attractive to sponsors. It's ironic that the clubs who are/were sponsored by the aforementioned companies have a long history of their sponsors going bust or dropping out, or even pulling out. Teams are one by one seeing this and looking to extend long term deals (Vodafone/Warriors and Sanyo/Panthers are two excellent examples, LG/Sharks not far behind) to cement their place in what, simply is, a corporate world.

Now again, get his point, just in case my rambling let you ignore it - we're referring to profile, which is just as important in sponsorship. Don't be fooled.

Timmah

Staff member
gaterooze is speaking sh*t. If he thinks that an organisation won't look at the prestige and profile of the company wanting to sponsor them, or at least attempt to seek out one with a relatively high profile - then he is delusional. What, because he said it first it must be right? Give me a break, you've got nothing, and your repetitive one-to-two line replies show just that. Come up with your own rebuttal for once. Have you ever tried debating on a topic rather than basing your arguments on which forummer you're up against?

El Diablo

Post Whore
I've got nothing? lol

you two are the dickheads saying these big companies will pay more but can't provide figures backing it up

Timmah

Staff member
We're not talking about figures, are you f**king blind you useless mong?

I am not doubting that any viable sponsorship deal is good. But if you read my post, there are many co's who've sponsored clubs ala Wests Tigers (HW) and Newcastle (Impulse) and gone under not long after, if not right at the end of the season, sometimes before. The point is, is it really good for the image of Rugby League having companies that look possible to flop supporting our teams? I'd much rather see a car co like Proton sponsor a premier club than have to put up with a horrific coloured therapeutic soft drink company that's about to go belly-up.

Again, it's not the money side which is the issue.

El Diablo

Post Whore
you're not talking about figures then you start rambling about companies going broke lol

dead set idiot

you and Moffo can argue with each other about your moronic ideas

Timmah

Staff member
Is it one brain cell of yours for every line you reply with?

You've come up with about 10 brain cells in this argument, simply because you won't fire back with the figures that you think the f**king point is based on.

If you actually stopped and read my first long-winded post you'd notice I actually went on about the appearance of the sponsors on the jerseys as well as the profile of the given company. If their profile isn't high, they may not be financially stable, and therefore could go bust. All you've done last night and this morning, rather than actually taking on board and realising there is some point to what Moff and subsequently myself are saying, is gone: "Oh, Moffo and dodge, must argue against them, because I'm a stupid Parrascum wanker"

It's wearing thin.

How many lines this time? One?

Latest posts