What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

GONZO72

Juniors
You can't reason with bulldog fans, they are still hurting after SBW left the toxic club in 2008.
Loudstrat is a typical example. He needs to build a bridge, seek some counselling, something .

How can anyone be critical of SBW? Experts like Brandy, and Sterlo, have said, he is the best player in the NRL.

And to compare mike Cleary to SBW, is lunacy.

Skreepe

Juniors
SBW brings to a team that only JT, Inglis and Hayne can. They can turn a game on their own.

The only difference is that SBW seems to do it week in/week out. His only weakness is his over-enthusiasm in pushing the pass, which i suspect he got from Union.

Enjoy him while we still can.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You forgot darren clark- Olympic 400m finalist (4th) commonwealth games gold medalist....., fool, league ability is a prerequiste...

SBW is the greatest backrower to have ever played the game just ask Peter Sterling and Andrew Johns i think they know their footy best than most of us.

Hey shit-for-brains, you used the words "the greatest athlete to ever play rugby league" and I put forward 3 names of players who have not only excelled at league and/or union but another sport not aligned to rugby.

Andrew Johns is a goose (drug cheater) and claims week in, week out that so and so the new superstar on the horizon.

Sterlo will say whatever Ch 9 pushes and guess what Ch 9 is promting SBW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only thing he brings is a decent offload, and if he stayed in the NRL long enough he would have that coached out of him like every other forward has.

Not that stats are everything but big Sammy has higher figures in less games than $BW in the main categories you would hope for in a forward and equals try scoring. Big difference is Sam will be helping the Bunnies and entertaining RL fans for years to come whilst the glamour boy will be off soaking up the cash elsewhere.

$BW the best RL second rower not to play RL very often? would be a more apt title for the thread

Last edited:

TheDalek079

Bench
Hey shit-for-brains, you used the words "the greatest athlete to ever play rugby league" and I put forward 3 names of players who have not only excelled at league and/or union but another sport not aligned to rugby.

Andrew Johns is a goose (drug cheater) and claims week in, week out that so and so the new superstar on the horizon.

Sterlo will say whatever Ch 9 pushes and guess what Ch 9 is promting SBW.

Joey isn't a drug cheat. He wasn't taking performance enhancing drug. He was taking recreational drug. So he ain't a cheat.

And if you hate him so much, then you should love SBW for ending his career

Skreepe

Juniors
The only thing he brings is a decent offload, and if he stayed in the NRL long enough he would have that coached out of him like every other forward has.

Like Mateo. Like Pritchard. Like Fifita.

Only a decent offload. That must of been another forward throwing those lovely cut-outs to the winger.

Mate, you don't watch NRL.

Friday's performance against South Sydney, when he completely overshadowed Sam Burgess, showed that SBW is the greatest second rower in the game today.

As for "ever" SBW is surely one of the ten greatest back rowers ever, along with Dick Huddart, Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote, Johnny Raper, Ray Price, Noel Cleal and Steve Menzies.

BadSport

Juniors
Do you all think that Gould/media hype is too much?

I swear in that last match he ran a straight line backing a man up and Gus gave him a massive wrap about his football brilliance. f**king ridiculous.

But he's lost Benji now so he's got to have one player to deify.

SBW is a very talented footballer but he is not the be all and end all. He has class, power and skill - but no mongrel.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Exactly what is mongrel?

Given that he hits as hard as anyone in defence and is always willing to make the hard yards up the middle when needed; what exactly is this mongrel that he lacks?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Exactly what is mongrel?

Given that he hits as hard as anyone in defence and is always willing to make the hard yards up the middle when needed; what exactly is this mongrel that he lacks?

Not only that but (and this is probably a flaw) SBW does tend to go high from time to time, can't contain his desire to shoulder charge and loves a brouhaha.

I think BadSport is referring to the hard-to-define attribute of "imaginary mongrel".

GONZO72

Juniors
Magpie4 ever is a drunk. He has to be.
I don't usually read his dribble, but I did this time. Utter nonsense as always.

Magpie4ever = alwaysgreen=Loudstrat . I reckon I'm on the right track .

Fat Krion

Juniors
Do you all think that Gould/media hype is too much?

I swear in that last match he ran a straight line backing a man up and Gus gave him a massive wrap about his football brilliance. f**king ridiculous.

But he's lost Benji now so he's got to have one player to deify.

SBW is a very talented footballer but he is not the be all and end all. He has class, power and skill - but no mongrel.

When players are said to have mongrel it usually means they lack skill and class like Mik Ennis and .......... Anthony Watts.

BadSport

Juniors
He always strikes me as a player who sits back and waits for the moment to inject himself.

More of a class player than a mongrel who just rips in.

I think a few people at least here think along similar lines and thats where he gets the showpony label.

I watched the roosters game and I'll be f**ked if I can see how he dominated it. Played well and all the rest, but I don't remember him stamping his authority on it as the worlds best (even if he was stuck out in the centres). Just a total gap between the hype and what he actually offers.

This finals series will go a long way to deciding his reputation in league. Then he'll go back to union as he's getting older and he's already a bit slow for a centre, and why would he choose to get old in the backrow.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He always strikes me as a player who sits back and waits for the moment to inject himself.

More of a class player than a mongrel who just rips in.

If there's one player in the comp who goes out of his way to impose himself on the game it's SBW.

I guess each to their own, just don't get how some people seem to live in opposite world.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Magpie4 ever is a drunk. He has to be.
I don't usually read his dribble, but I did this time. Utter nonsense as always.

Magpie4ever = alwaysgreen=Loudstrat . I reckon I'm on the right track .

You goose, cant you see the contradiction in these two highlighted sentences. You are the dribbler - you f**kwit.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Joey isn't a drug cheat. He wasn't taking performance enhancing drug. He was taking recreational drug. So he ain't a cheat.

And if you hate him so much, then you should love SBW for ending his career

I say he is; he even admits to going out of his way to avoid the drug testers.

Dude, I hate no-one; my catholic background will not allow it.

As I have said SBW is a talented footballer; but not the living deity you girls believe he is.

BadSport

Juniors
I didn't say he doesn't try to impose himself on the game - he obviously does and does so successfully - it's just the style of player he is. It's not even necessarily much of a criticism - except that a lot of people look for backrowers with a very high work rate and involvement.

Sonny works best waiting for his time, that's why Robinson lets him float around choosing his moment.

If he stayed in the game it'd be interesting to see how his career panned out positionally - but he will definitely go.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I actually thought Friday night was the definition of imposing yourself.

He attempted the hit on Inglis. Which was actually a good shot which stopped his momentum. It's just unfortunate the other defenders failed miserably.

He set up the Pearce try with a brilliant, tough run. He also made a half break off of a great run in the 1st half, which led to a penalty for Maloney's try.

And then there was his run out of the in goal.

I felt as though he stamped his authority all over the game as much as a forward can possibly do so.

To all semi-literate posters:

the word is "drivel" (i.e. rubbish talk) not "dribble" (i.e. saliva oozing out of your mouth). :crazy:

Please try to remember next time you want to insult someone. :lol:

magpie4ever

First Grade
To all semi-literate posters:

the word is "drivel" (i.e. rubbish talk) not "dribble" (i.e. saliva oozing out of your mouth). :crazy:

Please try to remember next time you want to insult someone. :lol:

That is actually what I meant about GONZO72; so I'm fine. Thank You:cool:

Latest posts