What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Card Shark

Immortal
deliverance.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Todd Carney?

First Grade
You all have it wrong, Andrew Johns once packed into the back row in a scrum. This would make him the greatest backrower of all time.

shiznit

Coach
You all have it wrong, Andrew Johns once packed into the back row in a scrum. This would make him the greatest backrower of all time.
By the looks of this picture I'm pretty sure joey packing in behind Billy Peden has nothing to do with workload...

Well not on-field workload anyway...

182137-joey.jpg

aqua_duck

Coach
The mind of Gonzo at work.
SBW is the best athlete ever.

I am a Bulldogs fan.

Credibility.....
washington_apple_shot.jpg

Yes. Cleary hung around for more than one season.

I'm not sure I remember Heather making a tackle attempt as bad as that.
Charlie has a very good point. SBW is not better than any other player who has had one wonderful season. Plonk him on he same shelf as Ewen McGrady, Leo Dynevor, Ben Barba, Joel Clinton et-al.

One good year? He's been a star since his debut

God-King Dean

Immortal
He's right in what way? That every player should be reduced to hit-up and tackle merchants solely so fans can wank over hit-up and tackle stats? Oh i forgot, that's already happened in todays game. Almost every player is a robot without any individuality to their game.

SBW might not be the best backrower ever, imo anyway, but he is one of the most extremely gifted and skillful players the game has seen. Anyone measuring his contribution solely based on hitups and tackle counts is a deadset f**ng idiot. You would have to be absolutely brain dead to think any club would sign him up for that.

Open your eyes, wake up and watch the f**ng game.

477027-nathan-hindmarsh.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
One good year? He's been a star since his debut
A star?

I'll give you some names of players who have had a greater impact upon the NRL in the last 5 years:

2009 - Josh Bateman
2010 - Upu Poching
2011 - Billy Rogers
2012 - Jack Stockwell
2013 - Greg Inglis.

You cant just pop in when you feel like it and claim all-time-great status.

You reckon that if SBW had a game of golf, then a game of squash, played some snooker, rode his pushy to the shops, went on a 4wd track, had a swim and then played chess, he's be suddenly superior to Tiger Woods, Geoff Hunt, Eddie Charlton, Cadel Evans, Possum Bourne, Mark Spitz and Bobby Fischer??????

TheDalek079

Bench
what this thread has shown is that the world is divided into people who love SBW and those who are jealous of his athletic and footballing ability

Aragorn

First Grade
You reckon that if SBW had a game of golf, then a game of squash, played some snooker, rode his pushy to the shops, went on a 4wd track, had a swim and then played chess, he's be suddenly superior to Tiger Woods, Geoff Hunt, Eddie Charlton, Cadel Evans, Possum Bourne, Mark Spitz and Bobby Fischer??????

that's a geniused question.

of course he would.

Although I think Tiger's shagged more women then him.

tiger+laughs.jpg

bor

Juniors

Difference being, he's not playing all those sports. He's playing league and obviously in the very top tier of athlete. Who says he has to stay in the game for a long time to take the title of the best?

He is certainly the most talented second rower to play the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
They should be fapping over JWH - he is the strength in their pack.

I think you'll find JWH is likely to win the Roosters player of the year award. Probably both the official one and our super prestigious LU one.

Do you even understand Rugby League at all?

Based on... well, every single one of his posts ever, not even slightly.

Dead set look at the kind of nuffies bagging him. fans of teams that don't even play first grade anymore - Magpies, Perth, and Parra.

Loudstrat

Coach
Difference being, he's not playing all those sports. He's playing league and obviously in the very top tier of athlete. Who says he has to stay in the game for a long time to take the title of the best?

He is certainly the most talented second rower to play the game.

Therefore, the greatest player in history is John Rheinberger...........:crazy:

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think you'll find JWH is likely to win the Roosters player of the year award. Probably both the official one and our super prestigious LU one.

Based on... well, every single one of his posts ever, not even slightly.

Dead set look at the kind of nuffies bagging him. fans of teams that don't even play first grade anymore - Magpies, Perth, and Parra.

That's is a real credible statement - what is your background in rugby league.

I would suggest probably playing NRL on X-box.

By the way, I didn't say SBW was not a talented footballer but suggested the game is well over 100 years old and to claim that he is the best ever second rower ever is ridiculous.

I have stated that maybe if he plays top level league (NRL and international) over an extended period (10-12 years) he might lay claim to the best ever backrower in the modern game.

So what has he chalked up at the present (3 odd years with Canterbury and 1 with the rorters); so he still has about 6 to 8 years to go; playing at a very high standard.

Take my tip, he will be back in rugby union in 2014.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
These so called internet experts probably wouldn't know of John's achievement.;-)
You can just smell the Google onslaught, can't you. And they call themselves Roosters supporters, and claim their superior knowledge. FFS I bet they'd also have to google Bryan Fletcher :lol:

But, if longevity has nothing to do with brilliance, (and brilliance in the rep arena - Lance Hohia had a bigger impact on the Kiwis than SBW), then Rheinberger's resume sh*ts on SBW's.

The fact is that what always remains are career achievements. In 20 years time - the gun backrowers of the post SL era that everyone speaks about will be Steve Menzies and Nathan Hindmarsh, and possibly Gordon Tallis. SBW will be looked upon as a bench player in his one big game!

I can just see the thread now........

9/9/33 8.04AM
PERTH GREEN
Post Whore

Best backrower in the 20 years after Super League?

Who do you think was the best backrower since the Super League war? I was thinking about this because of Cronulla's poor crowds and the fact that they must fold soon. I was wondering if they would have won a remiership is they had either Steve Menzies or Nathan Hindmarsh - both 300+ games with the most tries and most tackles of a forward in history? The NRL should have done something by now.

9/9/33 11.34AM

Fifita was a legend
Apex

Re: Best backrower in the 20 years after Super League?

What about that guy from Brisbane that won a Clive Churchill Medal? Gordon Tollis?

9/9/33 2.09PM

adamkungle
Post mole

I remember us signing a guy from the Dogs that everyone made fuss about - he also spent some time in Union. Cant remember his name though....

9/9/33 2.56PM

Timmah
Post brothel owner

I used to go for Canterbury back then, before they were booted from the comp in 2014. That was the year I started following Parramatta, the first of their 14 straight premiership wins.

Anyway, the former gun Doggies backrower who went to Union and Easts was Willie Mason.

9/9/33 3.21PM

Fat Krion
Post Gimp

Ryles will get 6 weeks.

Am I funny yet?

9/9/33 2.09PM

adamkungle
Post s**t

Timmah, do you remember that wierdo that we bought off you? I think his name was Slimy Phil Willis or something like that.

10/9/33 2.09AM

TOMMY SMITH
Nuffy

I have never heard of Slimy Phil, Smarmy Gil, Sonny Bill, Saggy Dill or anyone like that. But I'd say Menzies, then Hindmarsh, then daylight to anyone else.....

Last edited:

GONZO72

Juniors
Loudstrat you are a frustrated and hurt dogs supporter who hasn't recovered from SBW walking out on your toxic club.
For you to be critical of him is just pathetic. The fact that he toyed with the bulldogs twice this year must really piss you off. You are a loser . Get over it, you big girls blouse.
All you are doing, is making a complete idiot of yourself, for about the 12th time this month

bor

Juniors
Its intriguing how much effort you put into something you could have said it one sentence. "I don't think he is the best".

Loudstrat

Coach
Such a jealous turd.

Build that bridge.

Jealous of what????

Loudstrat you are a frustrated and hurt dogs supporter who hasn't recovered from SBW walking out on your toxic club.
For you to be critical of him is just pathetic. The fact that he toyed with the bulldogs twice this year must really piss you off. You are a loser . Get over it, you big girls blouse.
For you to say what you just said, and then come out with this........
All you are doing, is making a complete idiot of yourself, for about the 12th time this month
.......makes you the forum village idiot for life.

HOW F*CKING DUMB ARE YOU????????

dumb-people-doing-dumb-things-261x300.jpg

dumb_kid_stuck_in_a_chair_18546-s403x329-321569.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts