What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

BadSport

Juniors
I actually thought Friday night was the definition of imposing yourself.

He attempted the hit on Inglis. Which was actually a good shot which stopped his momentum. It's just unfortunate the other defenders failed miserably.

He set up the Pearce try with a brilliant, tough run. He also made a half break off of a great run in the 1st half, which led to a penalty for Maloney's try.

And then there was his run out of the in goal.

I felt as though he stamped his authority all over the game as much as a forward can possibly do so.

Yeah but I thought we're not talking about a good player, we're talking best ever or something like that.

He's a bloody good player, but if he was dominating he wouldn't have bounced off Inglis - he would've f**king smashed him in two. That was a pretty telling moment.

Then there was some big outside in hit in on someone who was looking in the wrong direction and he shook his fist like he'd won the grand final, a few good runs and classy moments.

And Gould dribbling (driveling?) on about how he's the second coming. Too much.

I say let the finals play out and if he carries them to a GF win I will eat crow.

magpie4ever

First Grade
For SBW to be rated so highly, he would need to play at an extremely high level for another 5-8 years. League (NRL) that is.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
I think he can fulfill the mantle as one of the best so long as he's here for more than 2 consecutive years, he definitely has the potential but with the Union World Cup in 2015 i'm questioning whether he'll stay even next year.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah but I thought we're not talking about a good player, we're talking best ever or something like that.

He's a bloody good player, but if he was dominating he wouldn't have bounced off Inglis - he would've f**king smashed him in two. That was a pretty telling moment.

Then there was some big outside in hit in on someone who was looking in the wrong direction and he shook his fist like he'd won the grand final, a few good runs and classy moments.

And Gould dribbling (driveling?) on about how he's the second coming. Too much.

I say let the finals play out and if he carries them to a GF win I will eat crow.[/QUOTE]

I believe you should have said "chook".:D

Chook Norris

First Grade
He always strikes me as a player who sits back and waits for the moment to inject himself.

More of a class player than a mongrel who just rips in.

SBW made 18 hitups and gained 214metres.
He made the most hitups out of both sides and gained by far the most metres in the whole game.
The whole lazy-showpony "player who sits back and watches" type stuff you guys seem to project onto him is an absolute myth. He has very high involvement in the game not to mention his class which he then injects on top of that.

Did you guys not see some of his damaging runs on Friday night? He rips in. His strong surge and hitup was the catalyst for Guerra's try.

The idiot Perth Red bringing up his tackle count didn't even watch the game.. considering he was instructed to defend out in the centres.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hanging about on the wing so he doesn't get tired. Best forward ever!

$BW 251 hu 2250mtrs
Burges 314 hu 2755 mtrs in one game less

So in summary $BW makes less tackles, takes less hit ups and makes less metres than burgess who I wouldn't rate close to being the best ever. Thank goodness for them cut out passes!

Chook Norris

First Grade

I don't pay attention much to your posts but from what I've read, you don't demonstrate yourself to be too bright.

$BW 251 hu 2250mtrs

So in summary $BW makes less tackles, takes less hit ups and makes less metres than burgess who I wouldn't rate close to being the best ever. Thank goodness for them cut out passes!

Yes because a forward of SBW's calibre is better suited towards quantity rather than quality.... and his impact should be measured solely on statistics... He is not a battering ram.

That's like saying someone like Mateo should focus his energy on purely hitting it up to the detriment of his own attacking game.

Do you even understand Rugby League at all?

aads

Juniors

$BW 251 hu 2250mtrs

Hes right - stop being gay for him

Ads

aqua_duck

Coach

$BW 251 hu 2250mtrs

I guess in Perth you guys don't really understand rugby league, best you stick to AFL

bor

Juniors

$BW 251 hu 2250mtrs

:crazy:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Hes right - stop being gay for him

Ads

He's right in what way? That every player should be reduced to hit-up and tackle merchants solely so fans can wank over hit-up and tackle stats? Oh i forgot, that's already happened in todays game. Almost every player is a robot without any individuality to their game.

SBW might not be the best backrower ever, imo anyway, but he is one of the most extremely gifted and skillful players the game has seen. Anyone measuring his contribution solely based on hitups and tackle counts is a deadset f**ng idiot. You would have to be absolutely brain dead to think any club would sign him up for that.

Open your eyes, wake up and watch the f**ng game.

Charlie124

First Grade
For SBW to be rated so highly, he would need to play at a extremely high level for another 5-8 years. League (NRL) that is.

This pretty much sums it up, although I'd also replace the words "ever" with "modern era". He has talent, but so have sooooo many that have come and gone before him. Ben Barba was unstoppable last year, comfortably the best player in the comp. Thurston and Bowen of 2007 were the most lethal players in the comp.

You can look through every year and find stand out performers, but rarely could you look at a 4-8 year block and pick a player who's consistently produced the goods at the highest standard, high enough to be considered amongst the best ever. There are some but not many, and while he chooses to whore himself to the highest bidder, SBW will never be one of them.

Loudstrat

Coach
You can't reason with bulldog fans, they are still hurting after SBW left the toxic club in 2008.
Loudstrat is a typical example. He needs to build a bridge, seek some counselling, something .
The mind of Gonzo at work.
SBW is the best athlete ever.

I am a Bulldogs fan.

Credibility.....
washington_apple_shot.jpg

And to compare mike Cleary to SBW, is lunacy.
Yes. Cleary hung around for more than one season.

I'm not sure I remember Heather making a tackle attempt as bad as that.
Charlie has a very good point. SBW is not better than any other player who has had one wonderful season. Plonk him on he same shelf as Ewen McGrady, Leo Dynevor, Ben Barba, Joel Clinton et-al.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

suck on it b*tches.

sonny-bill-williams.jpg

sonny-bill-williams.jpg

sonny-bill-williams.jpg

royce10

Juniors
While the media and league personalities continue to sing his praises....

Somewhere in this thread, the butthurt gather.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Burgess has played a lot of games in the front row this season, so he should have more hit ups and metres than SBW.