What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

magpie4ever

First Grade
SBW - the Ralph Macchio of Rugby League.

I can hear Pip/Fart Krying/Gonzo/Dalek/Tommy Sniff stroking the OMG penis - "wax on, wax off"

Loved the Steve Vai dual though!

So you are a bluesman Maggie? Are you a Muddy man or in the BB camp?[/QUOTE]

Hard to chose between, but would go for BB King.

The duel was brillant.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well SBW has two NRL Premierships, a Union World Cup, a Super 15 Rugby Title. He might be about to add a RLWC title and will certainly add a WCC medal in February.

What's in Hindy's cabinet?

But let's please not compare the two. One's a club stalwart the other is a genius.

His dignity.:cool:

H.H

Juniors
24 second half points is still a record, right? (apart from 75 and 08)

Im sure Hindy's personal trophy cabinet s fuller than SBW's.

Funny how you lot ignore the Jennings miracle try!

Which came directly after a Sonny special.

Serious question...why the hate Loudy? Not trolling, just want to understand.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Well SBW has two NRL Premierships, a Union World Cup, a Super 15 Rugby Title. He might be about to add a RLWC title and will certainly add a WCC medal in February.

What's in Hindy's cabinet?

But let's please not compare the two. One's a club stalwart the other is a genius.

Along with his dignity MFE, his ethics, his loyalty and his pride....but hey, sbw is pretty & TS is a girl...

TheDalek079

Bench
How can 24 points in a second half be a record if there are instances where teams have score more than that? silly loudstrat illogic

Loudstrat

Coach
Which came directly after a Sonny special.

Serious question...why the hate Loudy? Not trolling, just want to understand.
I dont hate SBW at all! That's assumed by those who think anyone must hate SBW if they do not claim he is the best human ever. Its a bit like those fanatics overseas shouting "KILL THE INFIDELS" about someone eating a ham sandwich while walking past a mosque during Ramadan.

Sadly, all the times I have said that he's a good player gets ignored.

If Stevie Wonder can successfully back a caravan up a driveway after meeting SBW, I might have a different opinion.

How can 24 points in a second half be a record if there are instances where teams have score more than that? silly loudstrat illogic
The words "apart from" man nothing to you? Proves my "crossroads" theory doesnt it.

Loudstrat

Coach
Sonny Bill does his deal at the crossroads......

picture.php

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
SBW is close to if not the most talented second rowers ever to play the game, but having said that I would struggle to rate him near the top due to a lack of games/longevity in the sport. That will always count against him imo.

His achievements in other sports highlight what a talented and driven athlete he is but should count for zero if we're simply comparing on a RL basis.

TheDalek079

Bench
The words "apart from" man nothing to you? Proves my "crossroads" theory doesnt it.

Still isn't a record. It's like saying if you removed the top 7 billion people from the planet then Loudy has the record for highest IQ score.

Besides, if you did remove 2008 and 1975 it still wouldn't be the most. Dragons got 26 in 2010 IIRC

Tommy Smith

Referee
Again, longevity is a fair argument.

But my point is this: if you were starting a Rugby League team from scratch with the intention of winning a comp, who is the first backrower you'd pick?

I wouldn't even blink before selecting SBW.

Not only does he provide as much of an attacking arsenal as any great playmaker, extraordinary for a backrower, but he's also a great leader and defender. He's the most complete forward I've ever seen.

Loudstrat

Coach
Still isn't a record. It's like saying if you removed the top 7 billion people from the planet then Loudy has the record for highest IQ score.

Besides, if you did remove 2008 and 1975 it still wouldn't be the most. Dragons got 26 in 2010 IIRC
You may be right. But getting stuck on semantics to prove a point - but ignoring a century of career achievements and stats from people from Frank Burge to Chook Raper to Hindy and everyone in between to proclaim SBW as the best ever - hypocrisy in it's purest form :lol:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Again, longevity is a fair argument.

But my point is this: if you were starting a Rugby League team from scratch with the intention of winning a comp, who is the first backrower you'd pick?

I wouldn't even blink before selecting SBW.

Not only does he provide as much of an attacking arsenal as any great playmaker, extraordinary for a backrower, but he's also a great leader and defender. He's the most complete forward I've ever seen.

That's the other side of the coin. If I was picking a team to play for my life tomorrow he would be in it.

Talent wise I don't think it can be argued he's one of the greatest. To call him an all time great (or at least compare him to the greats) then brings into the question of longevity which is an impossible one to answer.

One of those questions where there's not going to be a right or wrong answer in the long run outside of ones own opinion, but it is well worth the debate all the same.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You may be right. But getting stuck on semantics to prove a point - but ignoring a century of career achievements and stats from people from Frank Burge to Chook Raper to Hindy and everyone in between to proclaim SBW as the best ever - hypocrisy in it's purest form :lol:
Lol Hindy.