What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will SBW rank among the game's best ever second rowers?

Loudstrat

Coach
T

Not one Roosters fan has said that HE has won a Premiership on his own. Find a quote. That's just you and your silliness.
Yeah? Except this bloke.....

Well SBW has two NRL Premierships, a Union World Cup, a Super 15 Rugby Title. He might be about to add a RLWC title and will certainly add a WCC medal in February.

What's in Hindy's cabinet?
And the 2013 Provan Summons Cup is in SBW's trophy cabinet?

This thread only gets regurgitated when a butthurt hater has a big cry by micro analysing every game he plays.

To which we need only respond with:

081013-sonny-bill.jpg

Easiest argument we'll ever win.

SBW laments that he hasnt been able to try hard for as long but takes comfort in his premiership success.

SBW's premierships. Not Easts - you said so yourself :lol::lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
I think it's pretty interesting to consider who posts the most in this thread..

User Name Posts
Loudstrat 99
Tommy Smith 51
GONZO72 46
magpie4ever 41
TheDalek079 31
Fat Krion 26
Tone83 21
aqua_duck 18
Perth Red 17

Usain Bolt

Bench
Sonny Bill Williams collected two prestigious rugby league awards this year but his boxing titles are now non-existent.
Williams won the international player of the year gong with the Kiwis and, in their march to NRL premiership glory, was recognised as the Sydney Roosters' most influential figure with the Jack Gibson medal.
But after failing to defend his belt within six months, the World Boxing Association (WBA) confirmed to Sunday News this week Williams had been stripped of the title he won in controversial circumstances over South African veteran Francois Botha in February.
"He's no longer the WBA international champion," a WBA spokesperson said from headquarters in Panama. "He's been stripped."
Sunday News also understands Williams is set to lose his New Zealand Professional Boxing Association (NZPBA) heavyweight title today.
Since receiving a formal, written challenge from rising Kiwi heavyweight Joseph Parker, the NZPBA have attempted to contact Williams' manager, Khoder Nasser, on several occasions.
A letter was delivered in July and the latest email was sent two months ago, on October 14.
The four-person NZPBA committee - Lance Revill, John Gillespie, Carrick Belton and Pat Leonard - met this weekend and are expected to issue a formal statement today confirming the title will be declared vacant.
"As per-usual, I've had no reply," Leonard said. "The only reason why we didn't call on him to defend it before was because no-one had challenged him."
Williams claimed the NZPBA title with a first round knockout of Clarence Tillman in February last year, but has made no effort to defend it since.
National secretary Leonard and Revill are known to be furious at the lack of courtesy shown by Nasser, who could not be reached for comment.
The NZPBA has been more than generous by allowing Williams almost two years to schedule a defence. Their leniency was originally due to speculation Williams would return to New Zealand and the champion Chiefs next year.
"We wanted it settled in the ring but we've had to take it outside," Leonard said. "He realises he's not championship material."
The 28-year-old dual international will instead return to the Roosters next year, before transferring back to the Chiefs in 2015. He has said he will not get back in the ring to put his 6-0 record on the line for up to three years.
Stripping Williams will open the NZPBA title up to all New Zealand heavyweights. Elimination fights will then be held to ensure there are no gripes.
The No. 1 contender could then challenge Parker, holder of the New Zealand National Boxing Federation title, in what would be a long-awaited unification fight.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-...ll-Williams-gets-stripped-of-his-boxing-belts

thorson1987

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/boxing/sonny-bill-williams-stripped-of-new-zealand-heavyweight-title/story-e6frf5h3-1226783403771

Sonny Bill Williams stripped of New Zealand heavyweight title

Daniel Gilhooly AAP December 15, 2013 11:05AM

SONNY Bill Williams has been stripped of his New Zealand heavyweight boxing title and his management slammed for a "rude" attitude by national officials.

New Zealand Professional Boxing Association president Lance Revill said they had no choice but to take the belt from cross-code star Williams as he hasn't responded to challenges for his title within a six-month deadline.

It follows the same decision by the World Boxing Association, which this week said Williams had forfeited its "international" belt, won with his controversial victory over South African Francois Botha in February.

Williams, 28, won the vacant NZPBA belt off Clarence Tillman nearly two years ago.

There were no challenges - which require the backing of a promoter - forthcoming until three months ago when unbeaten New Zealand National Boxing Federation champion Joseph Parker emerged.

Revill said details of the challenge, carrying winner-take-all prizemoney of $1.2 million, had been sent to Williams' manager Khoder Nasser via multiple emails and letters.

"We haven't heard a thing back and, personally, that's rude," Revill told NZ Newswire.

"He's not even said he's received the challenge and that they're going to think about it. If that was the case we'd hold off, but we've got no choice now but to strip the title."

Former Chiefs and All Blacks rugby player Williams announced he was staying for another season with NRL premiers the Sydney Roosters one week after the Parker challenge was made.

He indicated then that boxing had dropped down his list of priorities.

Revill said it was unfair to deprive other fighters of a shot at the title, which will officially be made vacant next week.

He said it would be a shame if Williams did not return to the ring as he improved in his six unbeaten professional fights over the space of three years.

His grandfather, Bill Woolsey, was a New Zealand heavyweight champion.

"Sonny's got boxing in his blood and he learned very quickly. He impressed me a lot when I saw him spar before the Tillman fight, he showed me there he was more than a good athlete," Revill said.

TheDalek079

Bench
doesn't concern me. I'm happy that SBW is focussing solely on performing for the Roosters rather than getting distracted by the boxing

MY TOP 10 BACKROWERS SINCE 1970

1-SONNY BILL WILLIAMS
2-BRADLEY CLYDE
3- RON COOTE
4-BOB McCARTHY
5- MALCOLM REILLY
6-SAM BURGESS
7-RAY PRICE
8-GORDEN TALLIS
9-ROD REDDY
10-LES BOYD

I have no time to read all the nitwit comments on here. But Gonzo has at least made an attempt to think historically.

I would differ with him by starting in 1960, and including the great English back rowers.
My ten (in no order of merit) would be:

1-SONNY BILL WILLIAMS
2- BILL ASHURST
3- RON COOTE
4-BOB McCARTHY
5- MALCOLM REILLY
6-SAM BURGESS
7-RAY PRICE
8-GORDEN TALLIS
9- DICK HUDDARDT
10- STEVE MENZIES

I regard Les Boyd as a glorified thug. Rod Reddy was a show pony, and lacked the steel and grit of the others listed.

Tone83

Juniors
Beetson? Beetson is the only old timer I'd consider on par with the modern generation, if we're talking actual ability to play (which it seems we never are).

Loudstrat

Coach
Just wondering how Kieron foran, te guy the want missing in the WCF that SBW had to step up into his role, won the Kiwis player of the year?

And the top 10 Backrowers (base on the ability to play) sonce 1970:

BEETSON
PRICE
CLYDE
MILES
COOTE
MCCARTHY
TALLIS
PEARCE
MENZIES
MORELY
GRIMALDI
WILLIAMS
TONGUE

TheDalek079

Bench
Beetson? Beetson is the only old timer I'd consider on par with the modern generation, if we're talking actual ability to play (which it seems we never are).

Big Artie did play second row at times, but is considered by most to be a prop. So most wouldn't include him in their second rowers lists

Loudstrat

Coach
I'll give you that Dalek. I remember from my wee laddie years Rex Mossop's preview of the 1975 GF - absolutely giving it to Jack Gibson deluxe for putting Artie n the second row, and predicting a big Dragons win. :lol: