What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Team Has The Most Loyal Players??

Shorty

Staff member
What I mean is,which team appears to be able to keep players the most.
Players happily sign on for a number of years even at the beginning of their careers.

For mine it's Melbourne,whether it's because of the team going so well or the crafty management.
Brisbane's another one.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I'd say Souths.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd say the Dogs are a fair shot - Mason, SBW, El Masri, Utai, Ryan since he came over from Parra, Sherwin, Patten since signing from Saints.... pretty solid- 11 of our 04 winning team are still with us and I think that only shrinks to 10 next season.

perverse

Referee
sure as f*ck wasn't the knights this year.
i'd probably say brisbane.. then daylight.. then maybe manly.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Have a look at Souths' current squad compared with 4-5 years back. Completely different.

yobbo84

Coach
Timmah said:
Have a look at Souths' current squad compared with 4-5 years back. Completely different.

That's more of a reflection on those players lack of ability than any "loyalty" as such. They were simply replaced by better players. I'd say the only player we wanted to keep that we couldn't has been Ashley Harrison.

JoeD

First Grade
Is that because the players aren't loyal to the club or the club isn't loyal to the players

Shorty

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
So you're saying Souths players aren't loyal? What do you base this on exactly?
Yobbo,did you where I started the sentence with 'What I mean is'.

You have got a pretty new squad.
Roy Asotasi,Nigel Vagana,David Kidwell,David Peachey...

Loyalty is probably the wrong word.

'Which club is good at keeping the largest amount of long term players'
Ok?

Paullyboy

Coach
As much as I hate them it's definately the Broncos. The Cowboys would be second with the Storm in 3rd and daylight 4th.

I just realised that it's pretty much Queenslanders who are loyal ones based on that.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
No team's players are any more loyal than any other team's players.

Players are all the same - they all follow success and money. Offer them these things and they'll go. The only other thing that comes into it is they'd prefer to be in their home town.

It's just circumstance and opportunity that make certain teams seem to have more loyal players.

Shorty

Staff member
But you have to admit,some clubs have the ability to keep/discover superstars very well.

yobbo84

Coach
Shorty said:
Yobbo,did you where I started the sentence with 'What I mean is'.

You have got a pretty new squad.
Roy Asotasi,Nigel Vagana,David Kidwell,David Peachey...

Loyalty is probably the wrong word.

'Which club is good at keeping the largest amount of long term players'
Ok?

I still say it's due to the players being crap - we woulda kept them if we wanted to. Anyway I'm sure that'll all change. John Sutton, Dave Fa'alogo, Craig Wing, Roy Asotasi are all on 4-5 year contracts. All our good juniors have been re-signed and guys like Luke Stuart and Scott Geddes will be entering their 7th years with the club next season. Even kids like Gordon, Manuokafoa, Champion et al will be in their 4th season as a contracted first grader.

yobbo84 said:
That's more of a reflection on those players lack of ability than any "loyalty" as such. They were simply replaced by better players. I'd say the only player we wanted to keep that we couldn't has been Ashley Harrison.

I remember Wing signing with us but given the option to leave when Souths were re-admitted into the comp. An offer he took eight years later only when we wouldn't give him four years.

It just seems there's alot of Souths juniors at every other club over the years especially when you remember the Cootes, Spuds, Fenechs, Hills and Roberts etc, etc.

Haven't you guys been complaing over the years about everyone pinching your players, especially us?

To answer the question it seems the Broncos have the most loyal players.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Shorty said:
But you have to admit,some clubs have the ability to keep/discover superstars very well.
That doesn't make their players more loyal.

Brisbane are a case in point.

For years they were the only team in Qld, and there was no salary cap (or it wasn't enforced properly). They were a SOO team, and therefore they won things. Players wanted to go there and win. They had the pick of the Qlders, and a few blues as well.

Now they have to compete with two other Qld teams, and the salary cap is enforced. They still have a slight advantage, as the history of success is a big drawcard. They are also a one-team town, though this year a team was brought in that aren't that far away. This means that players don't have many choices if they want to stay near home, and also that the fame/celebrity/endorsement opportunities are greater.

The loyalty of Brisbane players hasn't really been tested, but it will in the next few years, as the Titans establish themselves. In fact, already this year has shown that the Brisbane of old is no longer around. I think it's fair to say that they are losing players that they don't want to lose this year. Berrigan, Tate, even Petero left because of money when it all boils down to it.

Brisbane's players are no more loyal than any others.

Souths are another case in point. Two years ago no-one would go near them with a ten-foot pole. Now players are moving there. Why? Opportunity, money (or in this case fringe benefits), and the chance to win.