What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Cannot Win The Comp In 2006

who cannot win the comp in 2006 and why

• Wests Tigers

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • Nth Queensland

Votes: 27 12.0%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 41 18.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Cronulla

Votes: 112 49.8%
  • Manly

Votes: 66 29.3%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 54 24.0%
  • Penrith

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 87 38.7%
  • Canterbury

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • South Sydney

Votes: 100 44.4%
  • Canberra

Votes: 119 52.9%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pantherjim.

Referee
Iafeta said:
Yep, that'd be why Joe Gulavao and Ben Ross had to leave.

Not because you were short of money under the cap, you were just being good blokes to other clubs and the ones you've purchased have more potential. :roll:

Nope.

Ben Ross and Joe Galuvao both still had two years left to go on their contracts. If Panthers management were to forsee that they were going to have problems staying under the cap why the hell would they re-sign these blokes for three years? More importantly, why would they bother re-signing Preston Campbell for one year this season?

As reprehensible as their decision is, they've done so in order to buy quality outside backs that have potential to be stars, pure and simple. They had to shed a State of Origin Prop and a Test quality Second Rower in order to free up funds to accomplish this. They haven't bought any household name outside backs as they probably need some room under the cap to retain players like Rhys Wesser (off contract next year) and Luke Priddis (off contract in 2007)

Bottom line is I disagree with the decision Panthers management has made in releasing Ben Ross and Joe Galuvao. I and many other a Penrith supporter will never forgive them for it, but what's done is done. At least they've bought some half decent players for next year, and who knows? Under John Lang's tutoring these players may take off next season. I can only put my faith in one of the best coaches in the N.R.L.

Pantherjim.

Ben

Bench
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
hahaha they dont have potiential
ok , we have international halves
brett kimmorley , NSW state of origin
Nigel vagana NZ test player , fullback , centers and the 5/8
ben ross QLD state of origin
Luke covell NSW SOO , kiwi rep
Danny nuttley

and young kids in kevin kingston , james stosic and the rest , to say they dont have potiential is a joke!
That's the thing, your core group of players are great, strong even, but its the others in your seventeen that i think are going to let the team down performance wise.

lockyno1

Post Whore
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
I ask the question why cant cronulla win the comp?
Is it because they havnt won one before or something?
the way the votes go they are ahead of the rabbits. I think thats wrong.

A few reasons.

a) Losing peachey, replacing him with simmonds. Enough said
b) Losing Stevens, Ross is not as good as him
c) No quality 5/8, Vagana is a centre FFS!
d) Raper is hopeless
e) Kimmorley is halfback, his flat attack does not work.
f) You have a culture of losing!

BWNB

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
A few reasons.

a) Losing peachey, replacing him with simmonds. Enough said
b) Losing Stevens, Ross is not as good as him
c) No quality 5/8, Vagana is a centre FFS!
d) Raper is hopeless
e) Kimmorley is halfback, his flat attack does not work.
f) You have a culture of losing!

a) simmons isnt as good as the champion peachy , but i belive he will get better next year. dont forget he was the clubs top try scorer this year.
b) Stevens was a great player and a great represtivtive of our club he did play origin and for Australia, Ross is a QLD rep and can develop into a international
c) No quiality 5/8 ay? Vagana represtented NZ at 5/8 and did score 3 tries in 2 games at 5/8 for the sharks.
d) cant agree more
e) all the times kimmorley played halfback with Vagana it did work and they did do well
f) A culture of loosing means nothing , when was the last time St George won the comp?
People are still talking them up as favourties to win the comp...

Misty Bee

First Grade
A few points if I may:

The Raiders without their injury toll (which rivalled Newcastle's) would have been deepin the top 8 in '05. They were strong early, and won more games than they should have on sheer pluck eg v Penrith at Penrith. Definite smokies for '06.

Penrith have done wellin signing Stapleton - he was very handy for us a few seasons back.

And for all the dopes saying Newcastle can't win without Johns -it's like saynig you can't make a sandwich without bread. And please then expand on that thought -

Brisbane can't win without Lockyer.
Saints can't without Barrett
Dogs without Anasta
Panthers without Gower
Eels without Tim Smith
Manly without Mander ;-)

In fact, take the gun out of every team and their title chances diminish greatly.

So,in modern RL, the fittest and healthiest squads do best.

Daza_06

Juniors
based on the results so far

The Knights and North Queensland aren't goin to finish last
What a turn around for the knights

MrSharky

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
1979, the year after Cronulla's last shot at a title!

'97...

icon6.gif

Smartman

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
And for all the dopes saying Newcastle can't win without Johns -it's like saynig you can't make a sandwich without bread. And please then expand on that thought -

Dogs without Anasta

In fact, take the gun out of every team and their title chances diminish greatly.

So,in modern RL, the fittest and healthiest squads do best.

LMFAO if you think we're going to struggle without Anasta you got rocks in your head.

Anasta is a liability and the rooters will find that out next year.
icon6.gif

sharkadelic

Juniors
'97 was a claytons comp with only half the teams. But so was the ARL one and as much as I hated the supergreed concept, the rebel league was probably the stronger one when it came to star players.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Raiders - No class
Souths - Not quite yet
Penrith - See Raiders, although they do have really good depth and potential
Melbourne - Doomed without Orford
New Zealand - Doomed

Misanthrope

Staff member
'97 was a claytons comp with only half the teams. But so was the ARL one and as much as I hated the supergreed concept, the rebel league was probably the stronger one when it came to star players.

You're kidding. Super League had to make up teams just so it could actually have a competition. Not only this, but they had only two sides from the previous year's finals - including neither the premiers or runners up. SL was a mickey mouse comp

Latest posts