What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Cannot Win The Comp In 2006

who cannot win the comp in 2006 and why

• Wests Tigers

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • Nth Queensland

Votes: 27 12.0%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 40 17.8%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 41 18.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Cronulla

Votes: 112 49.8%
  • Manly

Votes: 66 29.3%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 54 24.0%
  • Penrith

Votes: 68 30.2%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 87 38.7%
  • Canterbury

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • South Sydney

Votes: 100 44.4%
  • Canberra

Votes: 119 52.9%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent Mulder

Bench
marshall stalin said:
my view is only 5 teams can win the comp in 2006 - St George Illawarra/ Brisbane/ Canterbury/Sydney Roosters/ Newcastle.

Some teams this year had a season even their most one eyed supporter couldn't believe they could have - i.e Parramatta/Wests Tigers for examples and some others that made the 8 this year won't make it in 2006 i.e Cronulla/Storm/Manly.

I will bet you right now $100 that Parramatta will finish ahead of The Roosters.

Steel Dragon

Bench
melon.... said:
Easts can not win the comp in 2006, with Finch at halfback. Put Dame Edna there, and they are a shot.

Truer words were never spoken.
I know a lot of Raiders fans (living in Canb) not a single one is disappointed about losing Finch all those years ago.
It just warms my heart to hear that there are Roosters fans who feel the same.

PS - Raiders cant win WITH Woolford.

X

Raider_69

Post Whore
tiger_nick said:
You guys could have your top 17 on the park for 26 rounds and you still wouldnt make the eight

what a crock of sh*t, with our best 17 on the park, at worst Jason Smith, who is without a doubt the best 5/8th in the comp when in form and not injured, would at least carry us to 8th spot. No doubts, at best who knows... BTW our best is no where near what Elliott will pick so its a mute point

If we give blokes like Ale, Milne, Zillman etc decent runs in First and play with a game plan that will give Todd Carney more creative control we will be in good stead for a real crack in 07-08... if those players come good earlier then expected then who knows about 06... stranger things have happened, this time last year most had the tigers pegged for the spoon

Pantherjim.

Referee
Harold Bishop said:
I doubt they will come 2nd last, but you have to admit they have taken a few steps back in the signing department. Ross for Norrie? Pomeroy for O'Halloran? Gulovoa for Stapleton?
Where do you seriuosly think they will finish?

People tend to forget that we have retained the bulk of our 03' premiership winning side including key players like Craig Gower, Preston Campbell, Luke Priddis, Rhys Wesser, Luke Rooney, Luke Lewis, Tony Puletua, Trent Waterhouse, Shane Rodney etc.

I also think that a lot of people have underestimated our signings. Bryan Norrie, Mark O'Halloran, Nick Youngquest and Craig Stapleton are not household names granted, but they obviously have potential otherwise we wouldn't have signed them. Under John Lang's nurturing/coaching who knows what they can achieve? No one remembers Amos Roberts prior to 2004. Yet under John Lang, with us that year, he was top try scorer in the N.R.L. He was another player with "potential" we got him cheap from the St.George/Illawarra scrap heap.

Pantherjim.

Iafeta

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
People tend to forget that we have retained the bulk of our 03' premiership winning side including key players like Craig Gower, Preston Campbell, Luke Priddis, Rhys Wesser, Luke Rooney, Luke Lewis, Tony Puletua, Trent Waterhouse, Shane Rodney etc.

I also think that a lot of people have underestimated our signings. Bryan Norrie, Mark O'Halloran, Nick Youngquest and Craig Stapleton are not household names granted, but they obviously have potential otherwise we wouldn't have signed them. Under John Lang's nurturing/coaching who knows what they can achieve? No one remembers Amos Roberts prior to 2004. Yet under John Lang, with us that year, he was top try scorer in the N.R.L. He was another player with "potential" we got him cheap from the St.George/Illawarra scrap heap.

Pantherjim.

Amos Roberts knew his way to the try line at Saints. His defence was somewhat of a liability.

As far as your signings, you have $X to use in the salary cap, $X remaining to use I would think Penrith have gone to try and get a couple of youngsters with potential in Norrie and Youngquest, and a couple of players to fill incase injuries hit hard in O'Halloran/Stapleton.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Mick © said:
Honestly...I think we can finish between 6th-10th....I don't see us finishing lower than that.

Nor do I, but having said that Mick, what do you think the chances are of J.L. giving our hopes a bit of a boost by relocating House to the 2nd row and putting Rodney at lock? The House is devastating in the 2nd row!

Pantherjim.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Iafeta said:
As far as your signings, you have $X to use in the salary cap, $X remaining to use I would think Penrith have gone to try and get a couple of youngsters with potential in Norrie and Youngquest, and a couple of players to fill incase injuries hit hard in O'Halloran/Stapleton.

I'm not sure what our cap situation is, However I don't think we've totally exhausted the funds. Another reason why we've gone for players with "potential" rather than Household names. i.e.- Keeping a certain amount of $X in reserve as Rhys Wesser is off-contract next year, Priddo the year after that and we want to try and keep them.

Pantherjim.

Pantherjim.

Referee
parra_panther said:
Probably either Buckley's or none.

But surely it wouldn't hurt to try...

We tried it in the first qualifying final against St. George Illawarra last year and in the first half Trent tore them to pieces!

Pitty about our defence letting them back into the game.

I'm very surprised J.L. hasn't tried it again this year. Especially with Big "T" being injured all season.

Rodney's not bad at 2nd row, but i think with his defensive skills he'd be a far better lock.

Pantherjim.

Knightmare

Coach
salivor said:
The difference is that Broncos supporters don't and won't settle for mediocrity that the likes of Wests and Souths did and have for many years. Bennett has deliverd us 14 straight finals appearances (16 in total) and 5 premierships but not even that will secure his future. I can live without the premierships but theres no point in going to the finals year in year out when we're nothing but a spectator unless you support the Sharks.

I think this is the problem- Broncos fans got so used to sucess so early with Wayne Bennett at his best and a team that was practically the Queensland State of Origin team, that they expected to win the comp seemingly every year. Success comes and goes in cycles in League, and the Broncos just haven't been the team to beat for a while. That's the way it goes. I agree that maybe it's time for a new coach and playing roster, but in the meantime it would be interesting to see how well the Broncos would be supported if they go the next 10 seasons without winning a Grand Final...

Iafeta

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
I'm not sure what our cap situation is, However I don't think we've totally exhausted the funds. Another reason why we've gone for players with "potential" rather than Household names. i.e.- Keeping a certain amount of $X in reserve as Rhys Wesser is off-contract next year, Priddo the year after that and we want to try and keep them.

Pantherjim.

Yep, that'd be why Joe Gulavao and Ben Ross had to leave.

Not because you were short of money under the cap, you were just being good blokes to other clubs and the ones you've purchased have more potential. :roll:

BWNB

First Grade
I ask the question why cant cronulla win the comp?
Is it because they havnt won one before or something?
the way the votes go they are ahead of the rabbits. I think thats wrong.

parra_princess

Juniors
Cronulla can't win the comp because they are sh*t it's that simple. They don't even have potential. And don't give me that tripe about the Tigers being written off at the beginning of 05, since their clubs beginning they have always had potential, it just took someone like Tim Sheens to bring it to life. Stuart Raper has no idea.

Who cannot win the comp: Cronulla, Souths, Canberra & Newcastle if Joey is out.

Every other team has a chance if they can get some luck with injuries and stay fit. I'm expecting a comp similar to the one we witnessed this year.

BWNB

First Grade
parra_princess said:
Cronulla can't win the comp because they are sh*t it's that simple. They don't even have potential. And don't give me that tripe about the Tigers being written off at the beginning of 05, since their clubs beginning they have always had potential, it just took someone like Tim Sheens to bring it to life. Stuart Raper has no idea.

Who cannot win the comp: Cronulla, Souths, Canberra & Newcastle if Joey is out.

Every other team has a chance if they can get some luck with injuries and stay fit. I'm expecting a comp similar to the one we witnessed this year.

hahaha they dont have potiential
ok , we have international halves
brett kimmorley , NSW state of origin
Nigel vagana NZ test player , fullback , centers and the 5/8
ben ross QLD state of origin
Luke covell NSW SOO , kiwi rep
Danny nuttley

and young kids in kevin kingston , james stosic and the rest , to say they dont have potiential is a joke!

Latest posts