What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you currently regard as the 3 greatest NRL league players ever and why?

kbw

Bench
I am finding this hard as I have seen plenty of great players. For Me Johns was the best bar none.
Lewis was good, but players like Clyde, Pearce, Price, Glanville etc the work horses that I loved watching.

Some players that people have mentioned here that I would have trouble including are Tallis (never played 80 mins or worked hard consistently)
SBW (never fulfilled his potential because of myth, media hype and injury)
Lyons, great ball player but just can't include someone who can't defend that well.
Meninga I know people will not understand, but even though he was very good at times, he should not have stayed in the centres and played too long. At the end I was told by a team mate of his that he was being carried.

fourplay

Juniors
Langer, Lockyer and not many would agree but berrick barnes. i know his stint was short but wow what an impact he had.

I agree. I forgot about Berrick Barnes i'm going to have to revise my list.

1. Don Tweedle - For his ferocious running of the football. Size, strength and intimidiation. This man had it all.

2. Berrick Barnes - For the devastating "wow impact" he had on the NRL. Brisbane were forced to release him to union because the rest of the team were jealous of his talent and refused to play alongside Barnes for fear of being made to look bad in comparison.

3. Ben Czislowski - A former Australian schoolboy and Bulldogs forward who would leave dents in the defensive like no other.

Last edited:

Tommax25

Bench
The best players I have seen play are two obvious ones and two slighlty biased/different ones:

Johns: Best player I have seen, his ability was just astounding and his defence was probably the best I've seen in a half.

Lockyer: A match-winner on so many, many, many occassions at all levels, once in a generation player.

Kennedy: A little bit biased here but as a manly fan I saw this guy lift up a very ordinary team on his back and drag them screaming into the finals and in only two years was named in a manly all-star team. And he was certaintly no slouch at his former clubs either. Everything he did he did with intensity.

Stewart: Just freakish ability to score a try. If he goes his career without injury (which is not looking likely now with a re-occurance of the same/similar knee injury from 2007) he could challenge irvine for most first-grade trys, and is the only player I can currently who is any chance of that. Just unbelievable.

Special mention to SBW (he could dominate a game like a champ), Webcke (the prototype front rower. Everything you wanted. The best prop I've seen)

Dazraider

Juniors
Are we talking NRL or Rugby League in general? Lets at least get this bit clear first...

thats about me selecting Meninga ,Johns and daley, well ok thats Rugby League
in the NRL id say Johns by a mile then Menzies and Inglis

Latest posts