What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you currently regard as the 3 greatest NRL league players ever and why?

KL70

Juniors
It doesn't matter if anyone mentioned is currently retired, but who are currently your picks of the 3 or 4 greatest NRL league players ever and please say why, for each player named (as in for the player's great playing style, their track record and anything else).

typicalfan

Coach
Does NRL mean 1998-2009 or 1908-2009? If the former then

1. Andrew Johns- Best NRL player of all time, great long or short kicking game, Ricky Stuart like with his banana kicks, could put backrowers on their backside and still have some left for the winning sideline conversion. Also won games for his team at all levels even out of position.

2. Darren Lockyer- Greatest pure attacking player, was a 5/8 playing at fullback, consistently won big games at club and international level. Not as consistent as Johns nor did he stamp himself on the game like Johns but that wasn't his style.

3. Danny Buderus- He is a fav, loved watching Boxhead, Danny is like the new model of boxhead, Danny was strong like a front rower, ran as hard as a backrower, had great vision like a halfback and consistently NSW best when playing at that level even when we have been poor.

Apey

Staff member
I honestly admit not having much knowledge of past NRL players outside of my own team (this is also limited too..) so I guess this is a top 3 from my own perspective of Newcastle... I could ramble off names that I know were good, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer etc but really it's just based on hearsay.

Johns - Obvious reasons. The greatest all-round player.

Buderus - Lots of passion, great defender, great ball distribution and in his prime one of the greatest modern hookers. Admittedly not as good as he was in his prime but was still an awesome player in his final years. 'Heart and soul of Newcastle'.

Harragon - Dickhead off the field, amazing to watch on it. Tough and fantastic captain. Lots of mongrel and ran the ball hard.

mongoose

Coach
Can only go by the players I've seen. Didn't see Lewis, Fulton, Sterling etc in their prime.

1. Johns - On his day there is no one better, you couldn't defend against him. Could control a game from start to end like no other.

2. Langer - God i hated Langer when he was playing, he was too damn good. He was so dangerous and creative with the ball 20m out.

3. Daley - I rate him the smartest player I have seen. His ability to put his outside men through gaps was second to none. A perfect 5/8. Tough player as well.

mozza91

Coach
Johns-greatest player ever so far ahead of others
Buderus-Great passing and selective running game and the best tackler I've seen
Gasnier-Brilliant attacking player easily the best outside back I've seen

Engine

Juniors
Wally Lewis - The man.
Allan Langer - The gnome.
Ben Elias - In skills, every bit as good as the first two.

Laurie Daley - Most naturally gifted player of all time
Mal Meninga - Greatest, most powerful outside back of all time. Prototype for todays powerful outside backs
Ricky Stuart - Best, most consistent and most influential halfback i've ever seen.

GB!

Juniors
1 cliffy lyons - made everyone around him look & play better
2 darren lockyer - best in the world at two positions, Qlder
3 choc mundine - out performed most other 5/8's when he played them, just ask him!

Andrew Johns - Greatest all round player

Ricky Stuart - Without Ricky there would have been no Joey.

Alan Langer - same as above, Joey is Alfie and Sticky combined.

Other notables, Benny Elias, Brad Clyde, Mal Meninga

Bubbles

Raider_69

Post Whore
ricky stuart is the best and most revolutionary player i've had the pleasure of watching.
But for recent players-

Reluctantly, because i hate him, i'd have to go johns. He came in off the back of stuart and dominated. He didn't have as good kicking game or passing game or vision but he made for it with running, defense and goal kicking. Not the best half ever but probably the most complete player imo.

Lockyer rounds out my top 3. He's dominated the club, state and int. level from 2 positions. He has unbelievable vision and awareness.

Round out the top 3 with shane webcke. Who was the undisputed #1 front rower for a decade. There are miles of players with a higher skill level but no one did their job on a footy field to the incredibly high standard webcke kept for so long consistently. Every game, every minute he got his job done.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Peter Sterling is in there for his ability to read the game and guide the Eels around.

But I don't know enough about pre 1980 players to pick anyone else.

ravin rabbitoh

Juniors
1. Meninga-holds all the records Raiders,Qld & Australia a POWERHOUSE something on whenever the big man had the ball.

2.Kenny-2 tries in 3 grand finals in a row,just so naturally gifted and laid back could the make the best defence look silly.

3.Elias-it kills me to write this I hated the little grub,but changed the role for hookers,
one of the smartest footballers ever.

Honorable mention- Langer,Clyde,Lazarus

Latest posts