What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the better forward pack?

Who has the better forward pack?

• Total voters

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Every side has a good forward pack but I do know this. Out of the 8 sides left last year the Raiders side was the most metre gained by far over the season. This tells me that our pack is very, very rarely beaten.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Take your blinders off for a second.
Cuthbertson was a fat lazy slob at cronulla and got deservedly punted.
Now he is sprouting on about a fresh start, wants to get back to his best, yada yada yada. Same $h!t he said a year ago.

Sticky has issues, but he wasn't the problem in the cutbbo saga

Jason Maher

Immortal
Every player that goes to a new club says the same thing, I'm well aware of that. It's just that both our club and Wayne Bennett have a good track record with these players coming good.

edit - @Pete: check the stats again. The Dragons averaged 1402 metres, the Raiders 1408. That's hardly "most ... by far".

Last edited:

meatloaf

Juniors
You are dead-set kidding right, He is horrible. Gives away a ton of penalties, Is the worst forward defender i've ever seen in the NRL and is about as erratic as i've ever seen, also his hands aren't that great either. I'd take DT over him every day of the week and DT is far from the best player let alone Best Forward.

Way Way too erratic to even be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Burgess.

You are an Idiot mate Dave Shillington is the best prop in the world at the moment. Plenty of go foward, hard to tackle, plenty of ticker, tough as f**k. Mate I dont think you have watched a game of football in the past 2 years

aqua_duck

Coach
SHillington is so horrible he somehow managed to con Qld and Australia selectors and the Dally M panel to win rep jumpers and prop of the year last year.
The bloke is probably the number 1 metre eating prop in the game, in 22 matches last season he made atleast 100m in 15 of those matches, including 7 matches he made over 140m, including a game against the great souths pack.
I hate the raiders as much as anyone (well more so their 'fans' such as that moron SKeepe), but credit where its due, Shillington is a better prop than anyone who souths have got

Spanner in the works

First Grade
On paper Souths. But on paper doesn't win games. For week in week out performance it goes to the Raiders comfortably. At least they live up to their salaries.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Pointless poll. The answer is obviously Rabbitohs but the haters won't answer honestly.

Rubbish, souths look good on paper but what has Asosasi Ross and Crocker done the last few years. If you were an honest poster you would have taken that into account. The Raiders forw3ards have shown better form last year all round.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Every player that goes to a new club says the same thing, I'm well aware of that. It's just that both our club and Wayne Bennett have a good track record with these players coming good.

edit - @Pete: check the stats again. The Dragons averaged 1402 metres, the Raiders 1408. That's hardly "most ... by far".

lol still for the Raiders position on the ladder compared to the Dragons its pretty impressive. I think if anything it shows the Raiders are amazingly wasteful or at least were for a period of time last year. Nothing was more frustrating than the game we lost against the Bulldogs were the side spent the entire match parked in the bulldogs twenty. argh I am getting angryjust thinking about it.

Still the Raiders pack is a proven, Souths pack isn't.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Packs on Paper mean nothing. I'll reserve my judgement until the teams play each other and at season's end. I'll say this however - I wouldn't trade our pack and forward strength for any other in the competition. Whether they perform to their massive potential on the field we'll have to wait and see.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Raiders pack is comfortably better than Souths and is probably the best going around. Dave "we would have beaten the Dragons" Shillington's media interviews are still hilarious. Good player though

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Souffs don't have a pack they have Burgess.

Spot on. I'd say Raiders for the simple fact that they're the only pack that has consistently shut down Saints over the last couple of seasons. They're also a better unit than any other team in the comp apart from Saints.

Awesome pack the Raiders. Sharks is promising too.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Well of course he was rubbish at the Sharks under sticky. He won't be at Saints under Bennett. I just hope your mob doesn't destroy Jeremy Smith the same way you destroyed Anthony Tupou.

Flanagan gave him one LAST chance, against Penrith. He told Cuthbertson to run the ball, forget about passing or offloading. First hit-up he offloaded to no-one & Penrith ran the length of the field & scored.
Fat boy was dragged off the field, never to return again in the sharks colours.

Tell me how this was Ricky's fault....

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Flanagan gave him one LAST chance, against Penrith. He told Cuthbertson to run the ball, forget about passing or offloading. First hit-up he offloaded to no-one & Penrith ran the length of the field & scored.
Fat boy was dragged off the field, never to return again in the sharks colours.

Tell me how this was Ricky's fault....

Because Ricky is a wanker.

Zigwaa

Bench
A pack is only as good as it's hooker. Isaac Luke is so much better than Tongue or Buttris.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Wow, nothing to do with a terminally ill sister for the better part of 2 years before she passed away.
Your a class act!

Good one f**k-knuckle. This is the first time I've ever heard anything about that.

And for f**k's sake go and learn how to speak English. The word is "you're", a contraction for "you are", not "your", which is the possessive form of the third person pronoun. Though I do realise how difficult it would be for you shire dwelling redneck scum. Too busy rioting against non-English speakers to bother about the fact they can't speak it very well themselves.

lol still for the Raiders position on the ladder compared to the Dragons its pretty impressive. I think if anything it shows the Raiders are amazingly wasteful or at least were for a period of time last year. Nothing was more frustrating than the game we lost against the Bulldogs were the side spent the entire match parked in the bulldogs twenty. argh I am getting angryjust thinking about it.

Still the Raiders pack is a proven, Souths pack isn't.

The one problem with the metres gained stat is that it combines all runs by both backs and forwards, including fullback returns. To do it properly, you'd have to isolate the individual forwards, and add up their tallies.