What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the better forward pack?

Who has the better forward pack?

• Total voters

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raiders, sharks and dragons are the top 3 packs, in that order imo. Not much between those 3 though. Daylight runs 4th

Iafeta

Referee
For the Raiders... Brett White. I think he's going to be the Raiders version of Krisnan Inu at the Warriors. You know the dude was good 3-4 years ago, but it just seems he's lamer than Bunniesman (if that is at all possible). White is the new fosberry flop man. SURREENNNDDAAAAAAAA! He used to be guaranteed for 8-10 metres per hit up and a good quick play the ball x 13-14 per game, nowadays he is just plain average and I'm miffed at how he stayed in the Blues engineroom for so long.

Iafeta

Referee
Every side has a good forward pack but I do know this. Out of the 8 sides left last year the Raiders side was the most metre gained by far over the season. This tells me that our pack is very, very rarely beaten.

I don't know if that's always an advantage. That suggests a lack of enterprise. Steve Price and Ruben Wiki used to make huge metres at the Warriors, and they did reasonably well off it, but blokes were deadset catching colds on the edge waiting for them to stop hitting it up.

skeepe

Immortal
I think thats the funniest part.

The best comparason is when they played each other last year. That 2nd half the Raiders forwards had nothing. Taylor was making 15m every hit up.

While that's true for the second half, in the first half Taylor was making 6m every hit up.

It was only once he moved out to the wing that he found space.

user_nat

Coach
Has something changed since last year? Souths pack was pretty darn ordinary and certainly not the best.

Yet.. here were are in 2011 and that same pack is somehow being hyped up to be the best again.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think thats the funniest part.

The best comparason is when they played each other last year. That 2nd half the Raiders forwards had nothing. Taylor was making 15m every hit up.

Last year that Raiders pack proved itself over a season, what did Souths pack do ?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Last year that Raiders pack proved itself over a season, what did Souths pack do ?

5311352532_548a8ae68a.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
And everyone pointing to last year, we were injured a lot. When we get our starting forwards together at once you'll see what we are capable of. I'm waiting for round 1 like a crack addict waits for his dealer.

Godz Illa

Coach
Has something changed since last year? Souths pack was pretty darn ordinary and certainly not the best.

Yet.. here were are in 2011 and that same pack is somehow being hyped up to be the best again.
They've added Greg Inglis this year - he's now the biggest prop in the club.

Hutty1986

Immortal
A couple of players missing from Souths , hmmm

Luke --- like a gun player!
Lowe --- should be Qld origin 2011
Stuart --- better than average worker
Not to mention developing first grade workers Tyrell, Falloon, Mcpherson , Clarke

Canberra pack is a good one , however Shillington would be only one who could force his way into Souths pack

Blabber ,

aqua_duck

Coach
1 canberra

2 cronulla

3 brisbane

4 souths

5 penrith/manly

canberra having one of the three worst halfbacks in the comp
is a gee up right?,orford helped steer manly to a 40-0 premiership
win against an illegally assembled side,far from the bottom three
halfbacks in the comp,he may have slowed a little but since when has speed had anything to do with the halves?,it is more about steering the
team around ala darren lockyer,noddy,jason smith and matty rogers to a
lesser extent.my bottom five halfbacks in the comp would be:
1 c.sandow
2 t.smith
3 m.pearce
4 l.walsh
5 t.mortimer
inexperience means d.cherry-evans,b.henery,r.lui would be in the mix as well.
p.s. i feel the dragons will miss smith,costigan,saffy,thorby than they make out,
they will miss that dynamic forward rotation from last year,but in saying that w.bennett seems to get the best out of fringe f/g players so who
really knows until a ball is kicked in 2011.
goodluck to all teams and their fans (except BM) in the upcoming season.:D
Mitchell Pearce, you've gotto be kidding right? The bloke is 21 years old and is already amongst the top 5 halfbacks in the game IMO, probably only behind the 3 QLDers

Big Pete

Referee
Anyone would look worse than they did when they had Steve Price, SBW, Andrew Ryan and Reni Maitua working beside them.

He actually played his best footy in 2005 when those players had either left or struggled with injury.

I'd like to see somebody name a game where Souths had a pack of...

8. Asotasi
9. Luke
10. Stuart
11. Burgess
12. Taylor
13. Crocker

14. Ross
15. Pettybourne
16. Lowe
17. Whoever

So that they could honestly say that the pack named in the first post didn't perform well. Because honestly, I don't remember that pack ever being on the field together.

I do remember them fielding Crossman who had to be one of the worst props in the comp. and calling up Stapleton from the mines because they didn't have enough players.

Back onto topic. I'm going Raiders and only just. It really depends on whether or not Thompson plays in the second row, if he does, then he just gives them the edge, otherwise it'd shape up like...

Raiders Front Row >> Souths Front Row
Souths Hooker >> Raiders Hooker
Souths Backrow = Raiders Backrow

I'd rate Manly and St. George right up there as the best in the comp. with Sharks, Broncos, Warriors, Tigers, potentially Doggies and the Roosters who's fans have been seriously modest in this thread.

In round 1 last year Souffs fielded

Stuart
Luke
Asotasi
Pettybourne
Taylor
Burgess

With Ben Lowe on the bench and their pack was slaughtered.

Crocker and Ross have been consistently injured for years so Souffs can stop clutching at the injury straws saying their best pack never got on the field they had that starting lineup from round 1 or close to it enough times in 2010.

Bicey_18

Bench
Another case of a Raiders fan beating their chest...... Laughable how arrogant they have become.... especially when they have had no success in the past 17 years. Will miss the 8

Big Pete

Referee
In round 1 last year Souffs fielded

Stuart
Luke
Asotasi
Pettybourne
Taylor
Burgess

With Ben Lowe on the bench and their pack was slaughtered.

Crocker and Ross have been consistently injured for years so Souffs can stop clutching at the injury straws saying their best pack never got on the field they had that starting lineup from round 1 or close to it enough times in 2010.

:? How does that point force Rabbitohs fans to stop clutching at those straws? The point they made in the offseason was the pack I named was the strongest in the comp. - that pack never got a chance to play together let alone a time to gel.

Their starting pack generally did pretty well despite their halves never complimenting them like say the Dragons halves did - it was when the likes of Crossman and co. came on the side would begin to bottom out.