What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has the better forward pack?

Who has the better forward pack?

• Total voters

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
So Souths pack is grubby and a touch overrated?

They are all good scooters from dummy half more like it. The tightening up of the ruck by the whistle blowers this year will have an effect on the running dummy half types. Luke fits squarely into this role. He'll be negatively impacted upon by the tackled player not being able to step off the mark when playing the ball allowing him to scoot at retreating defences with disadvantegd markers on the ground.

Lets see what happens. But as mentioned elsewhere, he's small fry compared to Farah & Smith in what he adds to a team from dummy half.

Galeforce

Bench
As a Raiders fan, I'm fairly convinced we have the best forward pack in the competition for this year.

However, Souths fans seem to think their bunch of lazy buggers who hang out in the centres all day are better.

Who does everyone else here feel has the better pack, who do you want to play against less this season?

Raiders:

-Shillington
-Learoyd-Lahrs
-White
-Tilse
-Harrison
-Fensom
-Tongue
-Picker

Souths:

-Asotasi
-Taylor
-Burgess
-Crocker
-Ross
-Geddes
-Pettybourne

A couple of players missing from Souths , hmmm

Luke --- like a gun player!
Lowe --- should be Qld origin 2011
Stuart --- better than average worker
Not to mention developing first grade workers Tyrell, Falloon, Mcpherson , Clarke

Canberra pack is a good one , however Shillington would be only one who could force his way into Souths pack

Talanexor

Juniors
Canberra.
Then Sharks.
Then probably the Roosters or Broncos.

Souths are good, but they are probably the 4th best in the comp, owing to the weak prop rotation.

gronkathon

First Grade
Canberra have better halves options. The pack is a blunted weapon if you can't have playmakers who capitalise

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would say Canberra, easily over Souths.

Interesting, The 3 packs mentioned most, Raiders, Souths and Sharks, have the three worst halfbacks in the comp, except Parra.

giggity giggity

Juniors
1 canberra

2 cronulla

3 brisbane

4 souths

5 penrith/manly

canberra having one of the three worst halfbacks in the comp
is a gee up right?,orford helped steer manly to a 40-0 premiership
win against an illegally assembled side,far from the bottom three
halfbacks in the comp,he may have slowed a little but since when has speed had anything to do with the halves?,it is more about steering the
team around ala darren lockyer,noddy,jason smith and matty rogers to a
lesser extent.my bottom five halfbacks in the comp would be:
1 c.sandow
2 t.smith
3 m.pearce
4 l.walsh
5 t.mortimer
inexperience means d.cherry-evans,b.henery,r.lui would be in the mix as well.
p.s. i feel the dragons will miss smith,costigan,saffy,thorby than they make out,
they will miss that dynamic forward rotation from last year,but in saying that w.bennett seems to get the best out of fringe f/g players so who
really knows until a ball is kicked in 2011.
goodluck to all teams and their fans (except BM) in the upcoming season.:D

Spank

Juniors
Souths pack are too soft, Raiders have the best pack and i think the Sharks would be 2nd....

Liddell

Juniors
Souths, an unbiased answer. Dave Taylor and Burgess steam rolled the raiders at canberra when the raiders were winning 24-6 lmao

I think thats the funniest part.

The best comparason is when they played each other last year. That 2nd half the Raiders forwards had nothing. Taylor was making 15m every hit up.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

The best comparason is when they played each other last year. That 2nd half the Raiders forwards had nothing. Taylor was making 15m every hit up.
Yet, yet who finished ninth and who made the semi finals?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

so... 40 minutes out of an entire season of football determines this..

lets work that out shall we..

if each side plays 24 games in regular season, that makes 46 separate games played between the two (factoring in the games where they play each other).. each game has 80 minues..

46 x 80 = 3,680 minutes of football.

you want to take 40 minutes as the supreme example of who is the better pack? (nb, if you guys were better in the 2nd half, means that you were also sh*t in the first half........)

40 / 3,680 = 1.09%..

so you are basing your evidence on slightly over 1% of the game time played this season??

raiders made the semis, pretty sure they made more metres overall..

raider pack to smash yours this season, in any games played, and raiders to finish above souths at end of the season.

(mental note, bump this thread at round 26..)

oh.. by the way.. someone needs to update the souffs wikipedia page.. seems no-one has included round 26, when your pack was dominated by a half strength dragons pack.. (but hey, i'd forget that performance too)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_South_Sydney_Rabbitohs_season

Didnt a certain fullback smash Taylor over the sideline and prevent him from scoring.

Raiders have the better pack , the Dogs also have a good one as do the Sharks.

Luke Stuart for Souths is probably their best forward outside Burgess.

What the Raiders have is quality depth in the backrow.

soc123_au

Staff member
Canberra has a weapon of a pack, I would also throw in the Panthers pack as more formidable than the Rabbits.
Petero
Kingston
Grant
Waterhouse
Smith
Lewis

Bell
Mckendry
Laurie (bit of a question mark on him)
Plum