What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best junior player you have seen ?

sooperdooper

First Grade
There was a young player of Islander origins who was an absolutely brilliant player. Played around the same time as Feleti came through the grades and last I heard he ended up at Souths. Played half and 5/8. Never played first grade anywhere and was totally surprised. Delaivuna maybe?

Michael Meigan was another player who was brilliant in the lower grades and never kicked on.

that would be joe delana... a fijian boy! was an australian school boy FB and 5/8...unreal talent. Out of the blue parra gave him the flick...he went to souths and spiralled nowhere! think he played PL or 1 nrl?
then went to unio now nothing....
parra ruined him

the_eel

Juniors
Never really saw much of them as juniors but gee the Witt brothers had some massive hype about them as kids.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
This is one of my favourite topics.

Who is the best Junior you have seen in the lower grades ? Whether they ended up making it or not, who is the best ?

I have only really seen Parra players in the lower grades and I think the best I have seen perform at the junior level and in order are:

1. Jason Bell (he could have been anything)

2. Mateo (Did things that amazed me)

3. Danny Crnkovich, maybe a surprise to some but played some great games at fullback in the lower grades.

4. Tim Smith.

5. David Penna. ( I was there for his 5 try afternoon)
I ws there too:p i think it was the Brisbane game, 1990 were we chocked.

Mateo was absolutely brillant in the junior games

Stagger eel

Staff member

Mateo was absolutely brillant in the junior games

I'm almost certain that the 5 try game was Souths 90 at the SFS in reserve grade, we got spanked by the bunnys in fg.

Was that when we were on fire til Glen Liddard cut his hand and was replaced by Andrew Leeds and Brisbane ran over the top of us?
Sterlo and Jason Bell were outstanding that day.

Bow_rider

Juniors
From memory, the try was scored by Max Mannix, who later played for the Bulldogs (??).
Allen Emery did captain the Under 23 Eels..
Thanks for helping me out with that one. It was a sensational move..bit like the old ball up the jumper trick.
Don't know if it would be considered in the Spirit of the game these days.
It required the player taking the tap to advise the referee to concentrate and not be put off with any distractions. What happened next, was the player tapped the ball and all his team mates stopped and pointed at the grandstand saying "Look". The opposition all turned around and looked, and the winger raced in took the pass and scored under the posts. Very trickkkkkkkky.
Yep thatwas it .Great recollection by you.I remember seeing it on the replays on channel 10.Also in the team was Paul Taylor halfback and David Hall hooker.They seemed to do all the teams defence.It was a great team.

Bow_rider

Juniors
Eric Grothe and Steve Ella were the two centres outside David Emery as kids at East Mounties What a backline.Also their coach was Mark O'rielly.Bobs little brother.

parra pete

Referee
Yep thatwas it .Great recollection by you.I remember seeing it on the replays on channel 10.Also in the team was Paul Taylor halfback and David Hall hooker.They seemed to do all the teams defence.It was a great team.

A good memory is a good thing. You know I can remember things that happened in games as far back as 1960 like they were like yesterday...but I struggle to recall matches that happened on the weekend.
It is called old age I think.
Thanks for making an old bloke happy Bow Rider with your good memory as well..Appreciate it..

Pazza

First Grade
umm Leroy Houston, he plays union for the queensland red now

0,,5820693,00.jpg

He is half Scotish half Kiwi use to play league with Asquith under 15s with my mate. One game playing centre he took 8 runs, scoring 7 tries and on the run he didnt score he dragged 5 players and threw an offload to a player who ran off to score. Also a couple of his decoy runs which sucked in 4 players lead to tries through overlaps.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Was that when we were on fire til Glen Liddard cut his hand and was replaced by Andrew Leeds and Brisbane ran over the top of us?
Sterlo and Jason Bell were outstanding that day.

Yesp, we led 22-8, Sterlo was on fire, then Brisbane came back and won 24-22 infront of a capacity crowd.

I was only ten but that match stands out as one of my favourites.

Leeds also that game i'm sure missed a goal from in front and dropped a few bombs.