What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best junior player you have seen ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Didn't David Penna play his first game for Parramatta in 1990 after playing Under 23's and then Reserve grade and while he didn't score in first grade he scored four or five times in the two other games?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
1. Jamie Lyon
2. Danny Sullivan
3. Willie Tonga
4. Luke Burt
5. Michael Witt

(before you put sh*t on my selection, remember my age!!)

Gronk

Staff member
Didn't David Penna play his first game for Parramatta in 1990 after playing Under 23's and then Reserve grade and while he didn't score in first grade he scored four or five times in the two other games?

Yep that could be it. Loved the days when the FG coach would hand a fresh jumper to one of his gun kids who had just played a game or two and give him a run from the bench.

HevyDevy

Coach
1. Jamie Lyon
2. Danny Sullivan
3. Willie Tonga
4. Luke Burt
5. Michael Witt

(before you put sh*t on my selection, remember my age!!)

I have no idea what your age is Jess but I'm thinking under 30?

Having said that, I put David Woods down as my pick but truth be told I was too young to remember his junior days - not that he played lower grades for too long anyway. I merely picked him because he is by far the greatest rugby league player of all time ...

But yes, Jamie Lyon for me in terms of those I have actually seen play lower grades

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
22 matey, so i didn't really start paying attention to the lower grades until the late late 90's!

Bigfella

Coach
Great thread.

I guess one of the points is that most of our greatest players who came through our ranks don't appear too often in this thread - Kenny, Hindmarsh, Ella, Grothe etc.

The main reason is that they impressed enough for coaches to know they were too good to play much lower grade stuff. They were juniors when they played first grade, and still dominated.

Maybe we shouldn't get too focused on bringing players up the grades.

TBH the two sides which have produced the most juniors in the NRL the last few years have been Dragons and Eels.

But the salary cap doesn;t help clubs develop these kids, because you have to maintain them firstly in the lower grades, then when they hit top grade they demand massive increases which usually requires the club to let go seasoned players.

At the end of the day Titans and Melbourne almost have an advantage under the salary cap in that they virtually just buy their top sides and bring who they need in from outside to supplement them.

The other clubs have to manage their top 25 and what they pay them has to be done with one eye on the players coming through, and the club and fan expectations to keep them.

Sometimes I wonder whether we should just let some of the juniors go and but seasoned ready to play first graders. Tough call I know, but is our wealth of lower grade and junior talent actually holding us back?

sooperdooper

First Grade
That is him. Was an amazing talent. Fantastic young player in the lower grades. Not much of a defender but damn he could score from anywhere.

you should have seen him on a touch football field.. matty bowen comes to mind when i think of him playing!
we gave him the flick whilst he was the NSW and Aus schoolboy FB and attended school with mateo at terra sancta. no idea why...from there he pretty much gave up

Gronk

Staff member
Agree that the salary cap keeps the kids in the lower grades longer than it should.

BTW: Did anyone ever find out what Brian Smith meant when he said "you should ask the Parra management" or words to that effect when he was quizzed why he never promoted Hayne ?

The Colonel

Immortal
you should have seen him on a touch football field.. matty bowen comes to mind when i think of him playing!
we gave him the flick whilst he was the NSW and Aus schoolboy FB and attended school with mateo at terra sancta. no idea why...from there he pretty much gave up

HM-BALMAIN.jpg

Very Matty Bowen like. Maybe he wasn't the robot they wanted?

Not sure but he was a spectacular player. Played in the same Matthews side as Oake, Delaney, Mateo, John Williams and Heath L'Estrange.

Delboy

First Grade
A couple of players come to mind in the early 90's I think

Api Degei and Matt Spence, absolutley carved up Presidnents Cup or whatever it was called, Matt did stuff it up himself, but Api went nowhere under the coaching at the time. He was a huge Fijian backrower, with great running skills and not bad defence, but that was the time when our juniors just didn't develop. Ended up playing union for Parra and got bigger and bigger and lost his mobility.

parra pete

Referee
Blake Green dominated lower grades too :ls:

I had a mate who was with Titans Management (actually he was the son in law of my former business partner) who had Blake Green on its books.
He told me 9 about four years ago) that Blake Green was the best talent in the lower grades and was a 'Superstar in waiting'....

forward pass

Coach
From memory, the try was scored by Max Mannix, who later played for the Bulldogs (??).
Allen Emery did captain the Under 23 Eels..
Thanks for helping me out with that one. It was a sensational move..bit like the old ball up the jumper trick.
Don't know if it would be considered in the Spirit of the game these days.
It required the player taking the tap to advise the referee to concentrate and not be put off with any distractions. What happened next, was the player tapped the ball and all his team mates stopped and pointed at the grandstand saying "Look". The opposition all turned around and looked, and the winger raced in took the pass and scored under the posts. Very trickkkkkkkky.

I remember a different version of this moved - and I am sure Tony Cassatto was involved.

It was a tap taken just out from the tryline, and after the ball was tapped the whole side would turn and look at the ref with their arms out as if he had blown the whistle. The opposition would stop and the player would sneak over for a try. I saw it twice and it worked both times.

Avenger

Immortal
I had a mate who was with Titans Management (actually he was the son in law of my former business partner) who had Blake Green on its books.
He told me 9 about four years ago) that Blake Green was the best talent in the lower grades and was a 'Superstar in waiting'....

Pete

The Australian Schoolboys coach said that Green was the best natural leader that he had ever seen.

There was mention of it in a RLW article last year.

Avenger

Immortal
Can someone who has seen them tell me how good O'Donnell and Gallen were in our lower grades ? I know you cannot keep them all, but why didn't we keep these 2 ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Luke O'Donnell? He was a Tigers junior.... not sure about our lower grades. Junior club is Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs which is a Sharks junior club.

Can't say I ever saw Gallen play for us.

The Colonel

Immortal
Isn't O'Donnell a Westfield' s boy ? I assumed then that he played Juniors with us.

Westfields Sports - yes. Plenty of Tigers played there as well. Liam Fulton and Dene Halatau did play juniors for us at one stage but pretty sure O'Donnell was with the Tigers.

Bryce Gibbs and Mark Minichiello were Westfields boys as well.

parra pete

Referee
I spoke with Matt Adamson at Lavington (at Penrith v Parra trial) earlier in the year..He is huge, and fit...gee looks like he could still play at top level....
He wanted to come down and have a game with the local Club (along with Snoopy Collins) in a one off guest appearance...(the good old Raiders connection)
It would have been necessary for the Panthers to have a Friday night game and for our Club to be at home on the same weekend..It was a logistical nightmare for us to promote...so we have settled for Mark Toooooooooooookey, plus two other Qld FOGS for the game to be played on July 6......

Latest posts