What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the NRL's fastest player?

NPK

Bench
Why do people say things like: "He isn't that fast, I saw him get run down by (insert name) in a game last year".

There are so many things wrong with that it's not funny, eg. ball carriers run slower than they do without carrying the ball; the player may have been fatigued after running a lot in the match; they may have had a slight injury........

MEE

Juniors
What would the top 3 be?

Cooper, Riek and Stewart...?

If you have a spare minute goto the video gallery at nrl.com click on the round 11 clash between the sharks and manly. Then fast forward to the 72 minute. Brett Stewarts try is magic.

Billybob

Juniors
how fast is Bowen

he just left Wes patten for dead
i knew he was fast over the first 20 metres but that try tonight showed he can run 80m and still pull away from patten who IMO isnt slow

dice

Juniors
Phillips said:
Ryan Cross has speed, but he is not that fast, ive seen Brad Watts run him down as well as Wesser (twice)

Cross is a strange one. When in front he seems to lack pace but when chasing other players in defence he motors. He reminds me of one of those greyhounds that chase after other greyhounds instead of the bunny.

I was very impressed with Bowen tonight. Faaarrk he is quick. Lolesi also showed a fair turn of speed.

half

Coach
with his aerodynamic curves, nathan hindmarsh is actually the fastest player in the nrl

Iafeta

Referee
NPK said:
Why do people say things like: "He isn't that fast, I saw him get run down by (insert name) in a game last year".

There are so many things wrong with that it's not funny, eg. ball carriers run slower than they do without carrying the ball; the player may have been fatigued after running a lot in the match; they may have had a slight injury........

Probably because its generated by a factual event? Call me old fashioned, but an actual live demonstration of something gives a fair indication.

On my two:

Wairangi Koopu probably had another 10-15 tackles up on Craig Wing at that stage of the match, Wing had a 10-12 metre head start plus Koopu had to turn around. Pretty conclusive to me. Ball in the hand a problem there?!! :roll:

Justin Murphy HAD the ball and free wheeled past Matt Reick. Defeats the ball in hand argument.

Anonymous

Juniors
Wasn't Cross one of the fastest 5 players in the entire NRL according to the RLW article????

Proof on the field doesn't mean all that much. I mean, sprinting is a sport, like anything else. Everyone has on and off days. Murphy might run around Rieck one night, and another night Rieck might run him down, just because he gets his rhythm and technique right etc. If speed was a constant attribute that someone has at all times, then there would be no need for the 100m sprint at the Olympics, the competitors would just compare times beforehand.

Iafeta

Referee
They were pretty conclusive TH; Murphy over Reick and Koopu over Wing. Its not like it was half an inch here or there. They were like George Street Sydney versus Queen Street Masterton New Zealand.

Dragons_#1

Bench
yeh mate they may be quick over 40 but what about 100m the relay they have to run 100m,
Dragons would go close to that title.
Cooper
Gasnier
Blacklock
Hornby
This equals not a bad replay team over 100m

rooster69

Juniors
Steve Crouch , although in the Roosters premier league side has to be one of the quickest ..........................

andrew flap

Bench
legend said:
Maybe the NRL could put up a cash prize for the fastest player in the NRL and get one or two from each club to race for the title.

I'd watch it.

Yeah, they did that a few years back and I recall Larry Corowa from Balmain won the 100 metre dash. It was under the guise of 'The Rugby League Olympics'. A wholly dodgy idea and as I recall the Sharks (coached by Provan) shut up shop as they has an important game coming up.

My $ would be on Slater but Clark would give him a good run.

Disco

Bench
It is easily Stewart, the only guy that could compete with him is Joven Clarke and i'd hardly call Clarke a First Grader

As for a Manly Relay team, we'll we could go alright, as we'd have 2 of the top 5 fastest in the NRL

Stewart
Donald
Watmough
?????? Hicks perhaps

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Who'd be the fastest prop in the comp? (and no second rowers who play prop occaisionally, I'm talkng genuine dyed-in the wool props here) Paleaesina has a shitload of gas for a big man, and Steve Price seems to have a fair bit of toe as well. Who else?

Johns Magic

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
Who'd be the fastest prop in the comp? (and no second rowers who play prop occaisionally, I'm talkng genuine dyed-in the wool props here) Paleaesina has a shitload of gas for a big man, and Steve Price seems to have a fair bit of toe as well. Who else?

I saw Scott Geddes chase down one of the Dragon's outside backs yesterday, although I'm not sure who. He looked pretty quick to me.

I thought Villasanti would be quite quick.

Also Vella's got a bit of speed about him.

That's all I can think of.

Phil Graham would be very hard to chase down over long distances as he's proved in the past, but he takes a while to wind up though, where as Stewart is very quick off the mark and would probably have him covered.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Johns Magic said:
SpaceMonkey said:

I saw Scott Geddes chase down one of the Dragon's outside backs yesterday, although I'm not sure who. He looked pretty quick to me.

I thought Villasanti would be quite quick.

Also Vella's got a bit of speed about him.

That's all I can think of.
Villa's fairly quick off the mark but I think Paleaesina's faster. Vella would definitely be up there.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
Here is Manly's WINNING relay team:

1. Brett Stewart
2. Scott Donald
3. Andrew Walker
4. Chris Hicks

Brett Stewart is dead set the fastest player out there.....he burnt Vagana!