What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

Loudstrat

Coach
Which is better: Titanic's menory or Noa's (who cant even remember Alan Langer).

That Tallis you speak of - he was playing when Nathan Hindmarsh won second rower of the year something like 5 times straight, right?

Here's one even a Storm supporter might be able to grasp - Scott Hill or Matt Orford?

Loudstrat

Coach
As a Knights and NSW fan i personally believe Tallis at his peak was better than Kennedy but there is nothing with having a preference to either player.

A backrow of Tallis and Kennedy with Clyde at lock is as good as the past 20 years gets.

With the exception of Hindy - good call. Tallis was great. He wasnt the best ever, or even the best in his time, but he was definitely elite.

typicalfan

Coach
Hindmarsh isn't in the same breath as Tallis or Kennedy.
Sure he is, massive ticker and a true champion who was unfairly dropped from origin despite him being our best backrower.

Hindmarsh is quality and quantity, the amount of tries he has saved over the years would defy belief but he is a true champion. Tallis lead from the front but was a goose at times on the field and cost his team games at times. While Kennedy also led from the front but neither had the massive work rate.

typicalfan

Coach
:lol: 12 tries in 16 games in 95, 5 of which were off the bench. 9 in 8 the year before. Arguably the best player on one the best teams of all time, the 98 Broncos (a unified comp btw)

Langer was the best player in the 1998 Broncos side. Gordy had strengths but he also had weaknesses, he was a leader though which makes him rank highly.

typicalfan

Coach
As a Knights and NSW fan i personally believe Tallis at his peak was better than Kennedy but there is nothing with having a preference to either player.

A backrow of Tallis and Kennedy with Clyde at lock is as good as the past 20 years gets.
I would knock one of Tallis or Kennedy out and move Clyde to 2nd row and Fittler to lock to accommodate Daley at 6. That would be perhaps even more powerful.

BM1979

Juniors
Sure he is, massive ticker and a true champion who was unfairly dropped from origin despite him being our best backrower.

Hindmarsh is quality and quantity, the amount of tries he has saved over the years would defy belief but he is a true champion. Tallis lead from the front but was a goose at times on the field and cost his team games at times. While Kennedy also led from the front but neither had the massive work rate.

Hindmarsh is a media darling, Workrate is all he has , he offers nothing in Attack and half his tackles are 2nd man or third man in.I dont think I have ever seen him do any damage with his defense either. He is a great player I am not denying that but he doesn't belong in Tallis class

typicalfan

Coach
Definetaly patten. Was unfortunate to play in a time of really top fullbacks otherwise would have played some rep footy

Paul sironen or Willie mason?
Sironen although Mason at his absolute best was probably more destructive.

Anthony Mundine or Michael Buettner

Loudstrat

Coach
Hindmarsh is a media darling, Workrate is all he has , he offers nothing in Attack and half his tackles are 2nd man or third man in.I dont think I have ever seen him do any damage with his defense either. He is a great player I am not denying that but he doesn't belong in Tallis class
OK We geddit. You have NFI. Doing "damage" with defence is one thing, actually stopping 50 blokes per game is another, not to mention the amount of times he scrambled in defence from impossible positions. Hw about the time when the Poms had him 3 on 1 5m out (I think it was Martyn, Pryce and Senior from memory) and Hindy simply tackled them all! Far more heroic that dragging a midget across the line by the collar.

If anything, Tallis was the media darling with all this "Raaaaaging Buuuulllll" crap. I still remember Terry Hill pushing off both him and Carroll one day at Brooky to set up a try.

Tallis was a great player. Hindmarsh was better. I know which club got the better service.

RABK

Referee
Hindmarsh 1999-2005 was a machine, quantity AND quality. Hindmarsh 2006-current? A lot of quantity but not much quality. Watmough, Gallen and Thaiday have been far superior to Hindmarsh the last 5 years, Kennedy and Tallis played Origin until retirement.

BM1979

Juniors
OK We geddit. You have NFI. Doing "damage" with defence is one thing, actually stopping 50 blokes per game is another, not to mention the amount of times he scrambled in defence from impossible positions. Hw about the time when the Poms had him 3 on 1 5m out (I think it was Martyn, Pryce and Senior from memory) and Hindy simply tackled them all! Far more heroic that dragging a midget across the line by the collar.

If anything, Tallis was the media darling with all this "Raaaaaging Buuuulllll" crap. I still remember Terry Hill pushing off both him and Carroll one day at Brooky to set up a try.

Tallis was a great player. Hindmarsh was better. I know which club got the better service.[/QUOTE]

30 of them the player is being held by one or two other defenders.

Me too Brisbane with Tallis 3 premierships

Parra with Hindy - Nil

You need to get off the gear

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Oh, and Buettner. Younger legs.

Again - Scott Hill or Matt Orford?

After having both at my club i can honestly say if i had to choose one to come back it would be Scott Hill.

Slater or Mullins.

Hindmarsh 1999-2005 was a machine, quantity AND quality. Hindmarsh 2006-current? A lot of quantity but not much quality. Watmough, Gallen and Thaiday have been far superior to Hindmarsh the last 5 years, Kennedy and Tallis played Origin until retirement.

Hindmarsh cops too much sh*t for his attack. Yeah he hasn't been that dangerous but have a look at his average metres. He still gets the job done, maybe not as well as his younger self but he is still a quality second rower.

NSW made a huge mistake dumping him.

Thaiday is one of the most overated players in the game. He is a terrible defender, often times the attack just strolls past him. Parker is a much better player who gets far less credit.

Watmough also can't defend. I think it's kinda BS to call second rowers who can't defend great players. That's like one of their main roles on the team.

typicalfan

Coach
I find it funny how people use words like media darling, anyone who watches the game doesn't need the media to influence their decisions. Hindmarsh does damage with his defense in terms of tries saved. Hindmarsh especially in his prime was quite quick as well and a handful in attack, he usually averages over 100m a game anyway so his attack is extremely underrated.

The last few years he has tapered off but that happens when you get to that age.

typicalfan

Coach
After having both at my club i can honestly say if i had to choose one to come back it would be Scott Hill.

Slater or Mullins.

Hindmarsh cops too much sh*t for his attack. Yeah he hasn't been that dangerous but have a look at his average metres. He still gets the job done, maybe not as well as his younger self but he is still a quality second rower.

NSW made a huge mistake dumping him.

Thaiday is one of the most overated players in the game. He is a terrible defender, often times the attack just strolls past him. Parker is a much better player who gets far less credit.

Watmough also can't defend. I think it's kinda BS to call second rowers who can't defend great players. That's like one of their main roles on the team.
Billy Slater over Brett Mullins but as far as x factor is concerned about even.

Cameron Blair or Jim Serdaris

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Slater mops the floor with Mullins.

Mullins, whilst having a graceful running game, was injury prone and we hardly ever saw the best of him. Slater plays the game at full tilt and still manages to do be as electric as Mullins, and remian relatively injury free (recent injury notwithstanding). Add in being one of the best defensive fullbacks of all time, having tremendous support play and ability to read the play and you have the complete package and one of the all time greats.

No contest really.

A much fairer match-up - Mullins or Belcher?

typicalfan

Coach
Slater mops the floor with Mullins.

Mullins, whilst having a graceful running game, was injury prone and we hardly ever saw the best of him. Slater plays the game at full tilt and still manages to do be as electric as Mullins, and remian relatively injury free (recent injury notwithstanding). Add in being one of the best defensive fullbacks of all time, having tremendous support play and ability to read the play and you have the complete package and one of the all time greats.

No contest really.

A much fairer match-up - Mullins or Belcher?
Belcher is closer to Slater than Mullins.

Noa

First Grade
Oh, and Buettner. Younger legs.

Again - Scott Hill or Matt Orford?

At his best Scott Hill by a fair bit.

And I didn't forget larger in my assessment of tallis. He was still good, but not the player he was. 1 year from being finished in fact( at least for the time being)..

Slater over Mullins, nothing between Belcher and Mullins. For the careers they had give me badge, let them have a do-over you take Mullins everytime and hope he has different attitude.

Latest posts